Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/04/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Am I adding Phosphates?

My Ph always seems to be high so I've been using this product to lower it. This might sound silly but does this product add phosphates to my tank (it's called sodium biphosphate)???

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...GroupKey=15983
Old 03/04/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Could be BigJim. I was using a cheap charcoal in my sump to grab ammonia and I found out it was loaded with phosphate. I put a little in a cup with rodi water and let it sit and leach awhile. I was amazed at how much phosphate it contained. I bought a few different charcoals and tested them and finally settled on one that did not leach phosphate. You could try the same test with your pH adjuster. I used a Salifert phosphate test kit, you could get any test kit though and do a test.

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 03/04/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

I would think so, just on the name alone.
Love Randy's 3-part.
Old 03/04/2007, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

Quite a few on these forums use Marineland Black Diamond. I understand that it has very low or undetectable phosphate.
Old 03/05/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

I stopped using Black Diamond because of the amount of phosphates it was releasing into my tank.
Old 03/05/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

My original question was about "Sodium Biphosphate", however I think I use the carbon that your talking about. Here is a link to the product that I use, it says that there are no phosphates.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...itemKey=214087

Is this it and how do you know it was adding phosphates?
Old 03/05/2007, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Carbon and Phosphates

Quote:
Is this it and how do you know it was adding phosphates?
That's what I use. And to tell if there are phosphates, you soak some of the carbon for a few hours in RO/DI water and test that water for phosphates. When I tested (months ago) I came up with 0.00 . All test kits are not equal and they dont measure for some types of phosphate but I'll keep using Black Diamond. It's what Randy Holmes-Farley uses (Chemistry forum moderator). He has a Phd in chemical something or another and I respect his opinion.
Old 03/05/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Big Jim,

How do you currently test your PH ? What do you consider to be high 8.5+ ? What additives do you currently use ?

What I'm trying to get at is why do you need to reduce PH. Most cases PH is not high to need to reduce unless you use Kalkwasser. Even then you just reduce the potency of Kalkwasser to compensate.

You shouldn't need PH adjuster of any type so I really question the need for the product and would make phosphates possibilities irrelevant.
Old 03/05/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

My ph is 8.7-8.9 using the Hagen test kit seen here:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...itemKey=215428

When I test it is usually just above the higest point on the scale. I dose with C-Balance so I wouldn't think that would raise ph too high. A lot of people question why my PH is so high, I've often wondered as well.

I did see that I am using the same carbon as Randy, I'll keep using it if he does since he knows more than me.
Old 03/05/2007, 08:05 PM
RC Mod

Sodium biphosphate will add phosphate to the water column if it dissolves, which I suspect it will. It is not appropriate for saltwater tank use in any case, in my opinion. High pH can be addresses in a number of ways, but getting a second opinion on the test kit would be my first step.
Old 03/06/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

I agree with bertoni. get a salifert and see what you have then. Why wouldn't you try vinegar, o2 doesn't seem to be an issue in your tank. It would certainly lower the ph, maybe bertoni can provide info pro or con.

Batguano, fantstic name bud.
Old 03/06/2007, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

Vinegar would lower ph, but it can also cause bacteria bloom. As Bertoni stated, it would be best to verify ph reading before making any changes in water chemistry.

FWIW,

Jim
Old 03/07/2007, 08:06 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJim
My ph is 8.7-8.9 using the Hagen test kit seen here:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...itemKey=215428

When I test it is usually just above the higest point on the scale. I dose with C-Balance so I wouldn't think that would raise ph too high. A lot of people question why my PH is so high, I've often wondered as well.

I did see that I am using the same carbon as Randy, I'll keep using it if he does since he knows more than me.
First I would doubt the kit as Bertoni mentions have your water checked by other method (May take a sample to the LFS just cap it well) Ultimately you may want to get a PH monitor.
Second if the PH is real you may want to improve your tank aeration most of the time that adds enough CO2 to compensate, third take a look at things you are adding that may increase PH, basically the only things I think off is Kalkwasser (Limewater) or certain substrates or artificial rock made out of cement/aragocrete)