Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/26/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

My NEW new mantis shrimp :)

Well I got my new mantis (as opposed to the other chiragra I had gotten). I think is is a glabrous, but it might be a graphurous. I got a look at its tail and it didn't look like it has median carnule, but I don't know how obvious that is. Maybe Dr. Roy can give a positive id. I couldn't find the gonopods if they were there, so it is probably a female. Of course I am no expert! Anyways, I really really like this mantis! It is beautiful and way more interactive than the chiragra. It is very interested in what is going on outside the tank and doesn't hesitate to give a threat display. Anyways, enjoy the pics!

Old 06/26/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

nice mantis t^

-Charles Darwin
Old 06/26/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

first thing that popped into my head when I saw the pic: Glabrous. Anyways nice mantis. Good luck

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 06/26/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Did you get this one from marine depot live or somewhere else?
Old 06/26/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

I got it from sharkysreef.com
Old 06/26/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

nice mantis! Im glad it's more personable for you than the G. chiragra
Old 06/27/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Nice pickup. You will love this mantis. I have one and he is uber aggressive but leaves the damsel alone. Squirtle will come from across the tank to tell you he doesn't what you harvesting his algae growth.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 06/27/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member.

thurge, how big is squirtles tank? i have one n a 10 gallon and i think he is a little too small for the tank. i was thinking of setting up a 5 gal. cube, watch ya think?
luscien
Old 06/27/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

I have Squirtle in a 15. My first mantis (n.wennera) came with a full 10 gallon set-up. After a few months I decided he would be happier with a little more room. He wasn't cramped but I like to give as much room as possible. Squirtle is a full grown male and would probably be happy in a 10 as he hangs out around his holes but I like the bigger tank.

Pink Floyd
Old 06/27/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member.

how many mantis skrimps do you have?
Old 06/27/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Squirtle in a 15
Hairy (G.chiagra) also in a 15 because he only comes out to eat, and bash crabs.
Menerva (p.ciliata) in a 10 for now as she is not even 3" long. Eventually whe will move into a 15 or 20 high.

LFS has a 2" L.mac. but i think I am going to pass on picking that one up.

Pink Floyd
Old 06/27/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Well he definately got interactive with my ricordia today. He decided to take it off its mounted rock and hide "most" of it. There is a tiny scrap left and I can't find the rest anywhere!! It must be in his burrow. maybe he needed a pillow? Im sure the algae in my tank that has all of a sudden gone crazy will love a deocomposing ricordia!
Old 06/27/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Now I don't wanna brag.... but taht is one beautiful mantis in my tank And hungry as well! It would follow that shrimp on the skewer all aorund the tank even though i was holding it on the outside lol.
Old 06/27/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info on the sharky website!! I just picked up a peacock from them I will post pics when I get it!!!
Old 06/27/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Holy crap do these guys eat coral at all? I am not sure yet, but it looks like the polyps of my GSP are gone?! There is a little green poking through, and a few small new polyps there, but the rest looks like its gone?
Old 06/27/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

They don't eat corals (to my knowledge) but they can, and will move them If they aren't secure.

-Kennpachi
Old 06/28/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

I have Zoanthid polyps, some blue mushrooms, and even pulsing Sinularia in Squirtle's tank. Though him eating them would explain how I get new mushrooms in the tank but well away from any other mushroom.

Pink Floyd
Old 06/28/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

So, I got a good look at her tail (so to speak) and I really can't find the median carnule. She or he must be a glabrous. I dunno if she has been kept before (i.e. fed in a pet store), but after only feeding her 3 times, she knows exactly what the feeding stick is and goes nuts even if there is no food on it. She will run out, grab the stick, and try to take it from me lol. She also finds it necessary to hit it a few times. Wow, if you didn't know what I was talking about a mantis, you might get the wrong impression from this post lol.

Oh, and Dr. Roy, do you have any comments about the missing coral? Maybe a positive id?
Old 06/28/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyaggie05
She will run out, grab the stick, and try to take it from me lol. She also finds it necessary to hit it a few times. Wow, if you didn't know what I was talking about a mantis, you might get the wrong impression from this post lol
Wow, someone (besides me) has a got a dirty mind!

-Kennpachi
Old 07/01/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Well I got whacked by my mantis today! It wasn't where I thought it was when I was moving some stuff around, and the next thing I know I heard a click, felt something hit my finger, and before I knew it, but hand instinctively flew out of the tank! It didn't hurt at all, I guess it didn't want to bite the hand that feeds too hard... but it scared the crap outta me lol. I definately need to be more careful!

In other news, I bought a medium sized (large for my 8 gallon!) turbo to take care of my algae thinking this mantis is too small to hurt it. WRONG! It hasn't cracked the thing yet, but it is trying like crazy! It has chipped some of the shell next to the opening so it will probably only be a matter of time. No matter how many times I take the snail away or fend the mantis off with a bamboo skewer, it comes back. It was going crazy on the skewer! It even ate a good chunk of krill today so it can't be hungry! I hadn't seen strikes as hard as the ones I have witnessed against this turbo either. What do I do know! Oh, btw, there are still some hermits and bumble snails running around that are much smaller than the turbo and they are left alone! My fish doesn't even get a glance from the mantis either!
Old 07/02/2007, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

hahaha you're lucky he didnt decide to extend his dactyls to use the stabbing part... that woulda made you bleed pretty fast.

all the cuc that goes into trogdor's tank is known as the "walking dead". i have one turbo in there who has survived the entire time but he too has war wounds around the edges of his shell. i call him "shaun of the dead"
Old 07/02/2007, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

hahahaha that is very approtiate! Yeah am really luckey he didn't really mess me up!
Old 07/02/2007, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Fun aren't they. I have been hit enough by Squirtle that if I accidently brush against something unexpectedly, I jerk my hand out of the tank. Usually smashing it into the kitchen cupboard the tank is under. I definately wouldn't recommend hand feeding this one, thats how I got stabbed. Even my G. chiagra is less aggressive when it comes to taking krill. Crabs are another story though. Squrit will ponder before he goes out and attacks, and will take his time in destroying the invader. Hairy on the other hand will CHARGE out after a crab landing lefts and rights as fast as he can get them recocked. Its like "Dactyls of Fury."

Pink Floyd
Old 07/02/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Mantis: 1....Turbo Snails: 0

The turbo is comepletely cleanded out. I can't beielve this thing got it! It looks like it has been pestering a poor bumble bee snail all day too. Funny thing about it is that I have had these two small/medium hermits it wont touch. One is a scarlet and the other a baja red leg. I need to get some more of those suckers. Maybe it will actually let them live and clean. I am fresh outta ideas since the turbo isnt safe! Oh, and I think I am missing a few zoa polyps. Grrrr!!!
Old 07/03/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Sea Hair is a bid idea. Squirtle killed the one I tried in short order, then kept the body under all the tonga branch and feasted for days.

Pink Floyd