Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Trigger tank

I love triggerfish, but have never kept any myself. I have been considering using an empty 75g of mine for an aggressive tank. I would like to be able to keep 3-5 triggers but was wondering if this is even possible.

I was considering a:
Huma
Niger
Blue jaw
...any others?

I currently have a coralife super skimmer 125. Any suggestions on a filter? lighting setups?

thanks for the help!
Old 12/24/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

A 75 can not handle 3-5 triggers, triggers are very active and need larger tanks not just for swimming but territory. I'd say in a 75 you could fit a male blue jaw and humu maybe, plus another fish. Nigers get two feet long I don't think a 75 is big enough for one.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:45 PM
Devil in the fur

I am in the middle of stocking my 210g trigger tank (which will eventually be upgraded to 300g+).

First, you need a larger tank! Think 150g+

second, begin saving for a real skimmer. I have an asmg4x that doesn't do the job for my tank even though it is rated well beyond what I have in gallons and inhabitants in my tank. Triggers are extremely messy eaters.

I would skip the canister filters and just stick with LR.

I would suggest getting juvi triggers, the problem is I have never had luck with any trigger under 4". Keep in mind that rinocanthus are extremely slow growers and might be a good choice. If I recall correctly the niger is a really fast grower.

At 75g, you really don't have any choices. You can keep the humu, but I am thinking that's it for triggers.

As for lights, get low lights because the only way you can clean the inside glass of your tank is with a magnet cleaner.

Make sure to have a fuge!

Also, to keep nitrates in check I dose my tank with vodka. The problem you will have is that I don't think the CSS is strong enough to pull out nitrate using sugar/vodka. I had a CSS125 and it was almost worthless (better than the seaclone it replaced).
Old 12/24/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

a 75 would be good for an undulated trigger, but that will be the only fish in the tank.
Old 12/24/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info! would it be more plausible to keep a trigger and a smaller type of puffer?
Old 12/24/2007, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

keep them well fed!

that is what I do, I have two bluejaws, one huma, one picasso, one clown, one undulated and one Niger and belive it or not one large hermit crab and they all get along just fine in a fowlr 135 gallon ok now here come the trigger police to tell me im doing it all wrong but my fish are the fattest fish I have ever seen in a tank or diving
Old 12/24/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Re: keep them well fed!

Quote:
Originally posted by cunningham
that is what I do, I have two bluejaws, one huma, one picasso, one clown, one undulated and one Niger and belive it or not one large hermit crab and they all get along just fine in a fowlr 135 gallon ok now here come the trigger police to tell me im doing it all wrong but my fish are the fattest fish I have ever seen in a tank or diving
Well if you're worried about being criticized, you obviously know you're doing something wrong.

Its not a matter of feeding, its a matter of space. A 135 gallon tank is not physically large enough for all of those triggers to live contently for life. Filtration would also need to be maxed out on a tank that small with such a large bioload.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

bioload is fine

my fish are insane looking and in great health and have been for the last year that they have all been together sorry you disagree, I have 3 aquarium and not had any problems in any of them, and when they out grow the tank they will go to the long beach aquarium and I am responsible for that I have friends that try 1 or 2 triggers and they cant keep them I guess im lucky!
Old 12/24/2007, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: keep them well fed!

Quote:
Originally posted by scuba kid
Well if you're worried about being criticized, you obviously know you're doing something wrong.

Its not a matter of feeding, its a matter of space. A 135 gallon tank is not physically large enough for all of those triggers to live contently for life. Filtration would also need to be maxed out on a tank that small with such a large bioload.
No worries at all on being criticized, trust me on that!
Old 12/24/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

thanks for all the info guys! Whats your setup like on the 135gal cunningham?
Old 12/24/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marclex
thanks for all the info guys! Whats your setup like on the 135gal cunningham?
live sand 100#, also live rock 100# one 20 gallon sump with bio balls and another 20 gallons sump with filter sock along with a modified asm g3 skimmer and a 57 watt UV sterilizer
Old 12/25/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Re: bioload is fine

Quote:
Originally posted by cunningham
my fish are insane looking and in great health and have been for the last year that they have all been together sorry you disagree, I have 3 aquarium and not had any problems in any of them, and when they out grow the tank they will go to the long beach aquarium and I am responsible for that I have friends that try 1 or 2 triggers and they cant keep them I guess im lucky!
the reason your fish get on well is probably because the tank is too small for any of the fish to establish a territory a bit like dealers tanks,unfortunately these tanks dont do well long term and if you take a couple of fish out the undulate will probably clear the rest for you
i have a 125 with a clown,picasso and bursa trigger and imo thats the limit,they each have a territory ,and the same place to sleep each night but the day will come when one of them will go even in this tank,so i guess you are lucky