Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

Has anyone had their c02 tanks "explode"?

Well, this is a new one for me. I just got a brand new 10lb co2 bottle filled for the 1st time. I was hooking up a regulator and was tightening the threads on it. I barely started tightening it when the co2 just shot out of the bottle. It wasn't shot out of the main opening, but it came from the two little nozzles in the rear of the tank. Does anyone know why this happened?
Old 12/20/2007, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Well I just called the Co2 guy who filled the tank, and he stated that the tank might have been overfilled.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

The company overfilled the bottle! Those valves are emergency reliefs.

It's very important to allow the bottle to warm up completely before trying to install your regulator. When possible, I let the bottle warm up completely before taking it home.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Damn! My ph in my tank is down to 7.04 due to all the co2 being released inside the room.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

open the windows.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

yeah open your windows, run a fan. If you can get your skimmer intake outside a widow, that will also help bring in fresh air.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Yes, first thing I did was open the windows. At least I know my ph monitor is working.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:21 PM
I like sticks in my tank

Quote:
Originally posted by cstires
The company overfilled the bottle! Those valves are emergency reliefs.

It's very important to allow the bottle to warm up completely before trying to install your regulator. When possible, I let the bottle warm up completely before taking it home.
I don't think it has to be overfilled to blow the emergency valve though. If you let it heat up too fast after filling you can blow the emergency valve even on a normal fill (read: don't leave it on the seat of your car on a sunny day).
Old 12/20/2007, 05:50 PM
lift it up tallways

I had the pressure disc rupture on a full 5lb tank in the summertime when it was VERY hot. It was unbelievably loud, and when we went back in to the room (it shot out for about a full minute IIRC) there was ice all around the tank and the side of the stand. I've experienced it before with a 20oz. bottle in my truck too.

The safety disc did what it was supposed to. It scared the hell out of me when it happened. I'm sure you were a bit surprised too.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

LOL! Surprised is an understatement. It scared the **** out of me! My head was literally 3" from the relief valve.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

i had my relief valve pop. i think it was because it laid over in the car on the way home from filling. it was pretty scary. frosted the bottle and my car seat. it was only on its side for a split second too. like 8 bux just psssssshhht! away!
Old 12/20/2007, 06:24 PM
I like sticks in my tank

Quote:
Originally posted by guido_kp
8 bux just psssssshhht! away!

Well put.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:08 PM

One thing I always do after I refill my CO2 is I ask the guys if they can spray a soapy solution around the valve area. I find that the relief valve always has leak. Last time, the guy had to replace it like 5 times just to find one that is not leaking..
Old 12/20/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

The tank was overfilled. I worked at a paintball store for a few years, and co2 is very heat sensitive. It has nothing to do with how the tank lays.
We had one of the five foot tanks pop on us one day, and that thing sprayed for a while. Scared the **** out of us.