Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 01:38 AM
Premium Member

Wavy Sea - How many for a 70g?

The 70g tank build is still in progress. Working on flow and had to get a WavySea.

It will be hooked to a 900gph pump and after calculating head loss it comes out to about 715gph. My question, should I put two on the tank or should the one be sufficient?

I realize that is subjective, and I could increase the power of the one as I'm not coming close to the max gph that this unit can take. Guess I'm just looking for opinions from folks that are running a similar set up.

Thanks.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:17 AM
My tank is too full

You will be fine with one.

To thine own self be true
Old 01/01/2008, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

i've got 1 on a 210 and it's doing fine.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:33 AM
Our man in the East

I have 1 on a 150g and its doing its job.
Old 01/02/2008, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

sorry for not responding before now. i didn't get the "subscribe" notification in email.

thanks for the input; what size pump do you guys have pushing them (gph)?
Old 01/02/2008, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

I have two on my 210G with a Super Dart, but I think one is more than enough for you.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

I don't mean to hog this thread but what type of pump could be used on a timer to run a wavysea? I'd like to use an external pump but I doubt a reeflo, blue line or genx would take the on/off abuse. Would a Mag pump handle constant switching?
Old 01/06/2008, 03:19 AM
Premium Member

i'm trying to understand why you would want the wavysea on a timer? what's your thoughts?

Last edited by KMP; 01/06/2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

I would like to use 2 wavyseas on timers for additional, alternate flow and position them at the front to corners of the tank. I currently have a reeflo on a closed loop using a 4 way oceans motions. The plumbing for the CL has the 4 returns coming through the sides of the tank at mid level. 2 returns per side on the tank. My sump return is on a mere 1200 gph Blue Line with a 2 way lock-line. I don't want the wavyseas on the return but instead, put them on an additional pump.

I'm looking for a lot of flow for my 180 SPS to be tank so the idea of a 2nd closed loop on a timer sounds good to me. My other option would be the put the 2 wavyseas on a SCWD and leave the thing running non-stop, alternating between both.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

I should have also asked if I can mount a wavysea on a euro braced tank. My tank is euro braced with 5" wide glass and 1/2 thick (maybe its 3/4...the tank walls/bottom are 3/4 but don't think the euro brace is). I realize the device would be sticking out 5 inches but I'm fine with that. The tank is setup in a sort of in wall setup.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

got it. sounds like we have a similar mindset/setup in mind.

i have an oceanic tech series tank which has 4 holes drilled in the eurobracing. i had a SCWD hooked to the return and above the water line it makes a noise similar to something with a loose bearing inside. not sure if you knew that or not. below water level it should be fine. i replaced it with an oceans motion squirt 2-way.

i will be drilling holes in the front corner and mounting the wavy sea on the eurobrace. the wavy sea does come with a mounting bracket which is pretty universal enabling you to put the bracket on the side of the tank or mounted to eurobracing. with the plastic screws (clamping the bracket on) turned all the way in there is a 3/16" gap so you should be fine mounting up to your eurobrace.

i also wasn't to fond of the way a maxijet looked on the wavy sea so i mounted up a tunze nanostream instead.

Old 01/06/2008, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info and heads up on the SCWD. I did not know they were noisy so thats out of the question then. From what your saying about the mount, sounds like I'm good in that department too.

You mentioned the oceans motions squirt? This is a similar device....guess I can go google that.

Also, how are people handling back siphoning with these devices if used with an in-sump pump. My tank is cycled so more glass drilling is out of the question. Are people just drilling through the wavyseas elbow and does the depth allow for this without squirting water everywhere....just worried about any splash kicking up to the lights.

Quote:
Originally posted by KMP
got it. sounds like we have a similar mindset/setup in mind.

i have an oceanic tech series tank which has 4 holes drilled in the eurobracing. i had a SCWD hooked to the return and above the water line it makes a noise similar to something with a loose bearing inside. not sure if you knew that or not. below water level it should be fine. i replaced it with an oceans motion squirt 2-way.

i will be drilling holes in the front corner and mounting the wavy sea on the eurobrace. the wavy sea does come with a mounting bracket which is pretty universal enabling you to put the bracket on the side of the tank or mounted to eurobracing. with the plastic screws (clamping the bracket on) turned all the way in there is a 3/16" gap so you should be fine mounting up to your eurobrace.

i also wasn't to fond of the way a maxijet looked on the wavy sea so i mounted up a tunze nanostream instead.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

So you don't want my SCWD I learned that one the hard way. You can get an OceansMotion Squirt two-way for $180 from the OceansMotion site. Same concept as the SCWD, better quality. Shoots water one way, then the other.

Also learned about back siphoning the hard way. With the lockline nozzles coming down into the tank instead of my water level dropping 2 inches, it backsiphoned down to 4 inches. Hard to see from the picture below, but I have a "strainer attachment" now on the inside hole and a lockline fitting on the outside hole. I chose to do this as most of the water output was coming from the corners. Others are drilling a hole in the "T fittings". Not sure about drilling one in the wavy sea.

Old 01/06/2008, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

not quite sure what you mean about drilling into the T fitting between both devices unless these were submersed. Is the 90 degree elbow on the wavysea a detachable PVC fitting or is it part of the device's plastic molding? I am hoping to only have that elbow submerged with no other obstructions in the tank.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I have one wavy sea on a 72 bowfront with a veloicty t4 driving it. I am going to a sump setup and hadnt thought about how far the output elbow sticks down below the water line. Could i put a check valve inline from the pump to the wavysea? Also does anyone know of a brand of check valve that dosent contain metal ? On the one or two issue , yes one will work fine , but for converging flow patterns i want another when funding allows ...