Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

Aquamats

Has anyone tried using this material in a sump? I had some pretty dramatic reductions in sting algae and nitrates in a koi pond using them. They did take a couple years for them to fully mature but they seem to work. The fish love playing in them and they are great spawing material. I just dont know if its practical in a smaller setting. Their website is
www.aquamats.com

For what its worth I used to have ammonia spikes during spawning and nitrates around 25-30mg. Now I get no ammonia spikes and Nitrates in the single digits.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Removes 80% phosphate and 90% nitrates and ammonia in 36 hrs,wow sounds to go to be true.If you already have some I'd be testing them out for sure.Were they expensive?
Old 01/06/2008, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

Sounds like one of those things that works really for five or six years and then the dreaded crash happens. Just my speculation.

-Samuel Clemens
Old 01/06/2008, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

I forget exactly what I paid for them but were about $100 a unit. They are not really made for a tank environment.
I have never tested for phosphate in the pond but the algae reduction was dramatic. Prior to installing the mats my 100gpm waterfall would be choked with string algea every 7-10 days requiring a stiff brushing and occasional pressure washing. Last year I cleaned the falls just once between April and November. I have 4 mats in 3000 gallons which adds 20,000 square feet of effective surface area. For a tank application the ballast would have to be cut off and the mats trimmed to size. It would require a larger sump than I have. The mats I have are 3 years old and show no signs of degradation.