Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

WavySeas or Wavebox

Title says it all. I'm contemplating which to use for an SPS only 180g tank. As the footer says, currently using a closed loop on an OceansMotions. Inlet to closed loop is at the center, back of the tank. The 4 outlets are positioned 2 per side mid-way.

Sump return is on a split adj top drilled center nozzle. I have a brand new mag 1200 from a few years back that can be used if I go with a pair of WaveSeas (1 at each end) or is the Wavebox way more superior even though I have 2 short depth overflow boxes at each end of the tank.

Opinions please.

Cheers
Old 12/08/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

hmm, alright. Anyone have a preference from experience with both?
Old 12/08/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

I have a wave box....I love it....you can see the polyps going back and forth.

For SPS, the water washes the SPS for inside and I think this is a good reason to buy one

Regards
Old 12/08/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

I vote for wavyseas if you're going for sps. I think it creates a more realistic random flow for sps. The wave box's just kind of rock stuff back and forth and I personally don't think they are as good for sps. Just my opinion though. If I were you I would try to go see them in action on someone else's tank first and see which one you like better in person. Good luck!
Old 12/08/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

I like the wavebox. I have it in my 120 and love it. All of my SPS polyps are extended to the max. Other than the return pump, this is the only water movement equipment I have in my tank.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

wavysea and I like it. Since the ohter pump is linear the changing direction from the Wavysea helps stir things up nicely.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

i have a wavebox and love it,all my sps have awesome PE and seem to like the rocking.the wavebox rocking does a fantastic job of keeping solid waste and particles suspended in the water for your filters to remove.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

I can't comment as I don't know what a wavysea is. but I think the wavebox is great. I am looking for a used one right now.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/08/2007, 10:07 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

Wave box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have two and they are great. Back and forth motion is how the ocean works!
Old 12/09/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

I have four wavy seas plus on each corner of my tank for sps for my closed loop using a hammerhead pump. My tank size is 240 gallon. I get awesome random flow, but not a swath of water movement like a wavebox can make.

Real estate is important to me and I did not want to put a wavebox in my tank.

Therefore, I was looking into 2 vortechs for awhile becasue I saw clips of them making waves in people's tank. Look at Eco Techs forum to see if this may be right for you.

My tank size is 240 gallon.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the opinions. Seems 1/2 and 1/2 between each and excellent reasons for either. The only downside I see to the wavebox is its shear size. So with that, I'm leaning towards 3 WavySeas but not sure of that many yet. Like someone said, if I could see both cases in action I could make a better decision.

The current return is split between two adjustable pcv returns. I'm thinking a wavysea at that point would be a much better approach. Since the oceans motions 4 way is stiring things mid-way, 2 per side from each end of the tank, I could use my mag pump to run 2 extra oceans motions on a timer. 1 at each front, near surface end of the tank. The sides of the tank are not vueable as its a somewhat in wall tank.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

hey THP i didnt want to hijack your thread, but since we are on the topic of wavebox. How efficient do you think a wavebox would be in a 3ft tank? i seen many 6ft tanks with wavebox but has anyone tried them on smaller tanks?
Old 12/10/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

4 foot still worked well.

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/12/2007, 07:59 PM
Mari's Husband

i vote for wavysea
Old 12/13/2007, 03:40 AM

go to youtube and see them in action. The wavebox is awesome..