Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 06:51 PM
Respek!

Question How Many SPS Keepers Don't/Didn't Cook Their LR?

Basically what the title says:

How Many SPS Keepers Don't/Didn't Cook Their LR?

I'm setting up my new tank and I've never cooked my LR in the past. I was debating doing it this time but I'm probably too impatient considering this thing has been 7 months in planning and preparation already.

As an aside, and somewhat related, has anyone tried using vodka during curing/cycling with LR?

"mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 12/07/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

I did but its because someone already pre cooked my rock...the guy bought about 100lbs too much but cooked it already so I took it off of him.
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer
Old 12/07/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

I didnt Cook my LR because there was fairly alot of SPS encrustations at the point i turned from SSB to BB....

But if i could do everything again i would cook em all...
Old 12/07/2007, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

I would let the tank cycle with live rock before putting anything into it. I have never dumped vodka in my tank and don't plan to start any time soon. So I can't give you advice on that.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:22 AM
Nice Tank!!....I hate you

cooking the rock is more then just letting the tank cycle with live rock only.

Have patience and cook the rock. Thats my vote. That way when you get some pest algae you won't be kicking yourself for not cooking the rock.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

ok, complete idiot question here but what exactly is meant by "cooking" the rock. Are we saying, let the tank cycle with LR in it or is "cooking" a new thing I have never known of (which is quite possible as every day I run into things I don't know about )
Old 12/07/2007, 09:27 AM
Reef Weasel

Cooking is an extended cycling period in a dark container with water changes. Usually takes several months.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

with water changes!! OK. I have been letting my LR sit for about 5 months now but no water change. In the dark, well, not total darkness but no lights on the tank or the basement it sits in. Heavy skimming but no water changes. I should start doing that then? My plan is SPS only. Other reason for not having anything in there is too much travel and still working on building the false cabinet which surrounds the tank.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

I did NOT cook my live rock .. but I ordered live "base" rock so it had minumal animal life on it.
NO2 - 0ppm
NO3 - 0ppm
Ca ~410ppm
dKH ~10
Flow ~80x
Old 12/07/2007, 11:31 AM
Save me Jebus

I cured my lr for about a month or so. I do not see the point in going for several months but hey, everyone has a different way.
Have a great day.
Kris
Old 12/07/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

No cooking here, Just never could understand that .....Pay cold hard cash for Live rock and end up with white rocks. so what there is life inside of it and they say it kills the algea, But even that comes back in time. i would say do not cook the rock just buy base rock and cook that instead and save some cash.

Michael
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 12/07/2007, 05:31 PM
Tailspot Blenny

i used 100% dry rock and have been chemical dosing my tank. the cycle goes almost faster than cycling with LR, minus any potential pests, including algae.

Yes it can be introduced later, but I will try to avoid it at all costs... only adding frags from my QT/Frag tank without any bases etc. that may have algae or spores of any kind.

I dose 8ppm of ammonia daily, and within a few weeks, ammonia drops to undetectable within 24 hours, and nitrites within 48 hours. Currently waiting for nitrites to fall within 24 hours, and I'm ready to go.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Didn't know what rock cooking was when I set up my 90 display. I cooked the rock in my 40 gallon breeder but it was a lot of work with all the dunking and swishing. I don't know if I would have the fortitude to do that to 130+ lbs of live rock in the 90.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:10 PM
SPS Freak

I don't see the point to be honest. Plenty of ways to deal with pest algae. I didn't cook mine and my sps is doing just fine.
Old 12/08/2007, 02:08 AM
Premium Member

i cherry picked my rock from various lfs's over the course of a couple of months while waiting for my tank to be built.

cured it in rubbermaid bins in the garage. water heated and skimmed.

most beautiful rock ive ever seen and i was not about to cook it.

my goal was to salvage as much life as possible. i like all the algae, sponges, feather dusters, worms, etc.
Old 12/08/2007, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

I went with cured lr. I noticed that the current totm cooked the rocks for 6 months prior to setup.
Old 12/08/2007, 11:46 AM
Team RC Member

WHen I set up the first time, I did not cook the rock. It was very live---inverts, all over, pest anemones, asterinas, you name it. I had great success with sps considering it was a new tank: fragged once a month with montipora and some acroporas.

Then I moved, and the rock cooked due to unforeseen delay. I am slowly working up the food chain: I keep lps very well now and they are growing, but I cannot do more than hold even with the montiporas, no acroporas still alive.

I will never, ever voluntarily cook rock. Period. I don't care if its infested with krakens.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/08/2007, 11:47 AM
My tank is too full

I got mine transshipped from fiji when I first started the previous tank. Since then, I have added pieces as I go. No cooking here

To thine own self be true
Old 12/08/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I did not cook my rock when I swiched from DSB to BB and now I am regretting it. With the DSB I had a minor hair algea problem, now its gone crazy. I think I way have found a new project to start over christmas break
Old 12/08/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

I think i just pre-heated mine. Bought cured live rock and put in into my tank with the lights off for the first 2-3 weeks than lights on for only a few hours a day for a couple more. No problems in the 3 different reef tanks I've owned.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
WHen I set up the first time, I did not cook the rock. It was very live---inverts, all over, pest anemones, asterinas, you name it. I had great success with sps considering it was a new tank: fragged once a month with montipora and some acroporas.

Then I moved, and the rock cooked due to unforeseen delay. I am slowly working up the food chain: I keep lps very well now and they are growing, but I cannot do more than hold even with the montiporas, no acroporas still alive.

I will never, ever voluntarily cook rock. Period. I don't care if its infested with krakens.
krakens! i love it.

harry hamlin fan are ya?
Old 12/09/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

I did not Cook my LR, But did have to battle a small case of flatworms, and a full year of having my tank a fish only with a Recticed Butterfly, to kill all the aiptasia, that infested my tank after bringing home a rock infested with them from a local LFS.

Every things been smooth from then on out.