Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids

Old 11/13/2007, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

maybe I got crap bulbs, but I have an Odyssea hood that states that the metal halide bulbs - HQI's - are 175 watt. I'm starting to doubt that, as I can't find replacements ANYWHERE.

I think the (only) bulbs I found online (15k's) look like crap. Everything looks green, my Flame Angel doesn't pop orange much more than with the 20k, the skunk cleaner shimp don't pop any more than before and the RPE's are still drab and dull.

Does anyone know if Odyssea is making up 175w bulbs? I'd love ot be able to choose among 150w bulbs... Does the Phoenix 14k show lots of color? I'm really surprised how poor these 15k bulbs look.

thanks again,
G.
Old 11/13/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goldmaniac
maybe I got crap bulbs, but I have an Odyssea hood that states that the metal halide bulbs - HQI's - are 175 watt. I'm starting to doubt that, as I can't find replacements ANYWHERE.

I think the (only) bulbs I found online (15k's) look like crap. Everything looks green, my Flame Angel doesn't pop orange much more than with the 20k, the skunk cleaner shimp don't pop any more than before and the RPE's are still drab and dull.

Does anyone know if Odyssea is making up 175w bulbs? I'd love ot be able to choose among 150w bulbs... Does the Phoenix 14k show lots of color? I'm really surprised how poor these 15k bulbs look.

thanks again,
G.
Sorry to talk crap about odyssea but their really not good. I'll be honest, at first I couldn't afford anything and I did have a odyssey. Actually I had a Odysea recently on my jbj 24 gallon cube that was 250 watts with the phoenix. I heard the wiring on a odysea isn't electrically complient to US standards (maybe a rumor if anyone knows more please educate us). I love the phoenix, it a perfect blend of blue and white Basically a light blue ocean water. But he get what you pay for the bulb was $70+ dollars online. I compared the light with what the oddysea came with a 250 20k compared to the 250 14k phoenix, can you say night and day.

Try ebay for 175 hqi's? Cheap and maybe a nicer color...
Old 11/14/2007, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

I started another thread, specifically asking about whether double ended HQI 175w bulbs exist. I got a number of answers saying they don't.

So last night I got two Phoenix 14k's online, which shipping, for $105. I'm eager to see the difference.

I'm wary of these Odyssea hoods; I have everything double-insulated with GFI's and UPS circuit breakers. I think I'll be ok if something disasterous happens.

AND if that happens, I'll just have to explain to the wife that I just HAVE to get the 250w icecap ballasts and some pendants ASAP..

G.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goldmaniac
I started another thread, specifically asking about whether double ended HQI 175w bulbs exist. I got a number of answers saying they don't.

So last night I got two Phoenix 14k's online, which shipping, for $105. I'm eager to see the difference.

I'm wary of these Odyssea hoods; I have everything double-insulated with GFI's and UPS circuit breakers. I think I'll be ok if something disasterous happens.

AND if that happens, I'll just have to explain to the wife that I just HAVE to get the 250w icecap ballasts and some pendants ASAP..

G.
I'm kind of lost here... So do you have 175 HQI's? And when you got the phoenix bulbs were they 175's? I
Old 11/14/2007, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

No, I got confirmation, on the other thread, by about 5 different RC'ers that there's never been any such thing as 175 HQI, double-ended, and that the mfgr (Odyssea) is probably making it up. Maybe to sell their own brand of "175 watt" HQI bulbs, I don't know. I don't want to speculate.

the phoenix 14k's I got were 150 watt. I should have specified that. sorry. Everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, I read about Phoenix 14k's have been positive, and they're definitely going to be at least better than the crap Odyssea "175 watt" HQI bulbs I bought last week.

G.

SO my color concerns with my new zoa's coming in (hopefully tomorrow) are probably a thing of the past. Or at least I'll stop thinking/obsessing about it.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Now back to zoa growth..
Old 11/20/2007, 12:25 AM
Pipefish!!

Not to get off topic but one of the things that I would like to hear about and see if any one has done it is putting two different color zoas next to eachother and would they morph between the two colors? I have noticed different variations within the colony. How do you promote the variations within a colony?

Just wondering.

Matt
Old 01/08/2008, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

I got these bad boys (saphire blue zoos) 3 weeks ago cuz I saw this thread and was curious. They were a 3 poly frag and after 2 weeks it already has 7 total now! The pic was taken 2 days after and you can already see a baby has grown. My EE, sunshine, and atomic green were bigger frags and are growing too but my blues have exploded. For some reason my sunshines closed up for a week or so then I saw a thread about treating with vitamin c. WOW after a few days they have opened and are looking good... More about that post later when I put new pics up..

Anyways I think smaller frags explode more because of the fight or flight reaction.

saphire blues
Photobucket

sunshine zoos
Photobucket

eagle eyes
Photobucket

atomic green zoos
Photobucket
Old 01/08/2008, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

forgot to mention...

all my zoos are at the bottom of my tank with good amount of flow, (I have a hydro flo making current) stock 12g nano dlx lighting, and I feed them every few days a half capful of phyto...

here's my FTS pic
Photobucket

thanks!
Old 01/11/2008, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Dont mind sharing whats the VItamin C does to aids in this thread of ours?
Old 01/11/2008, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

this thread is great. i'm gonna keep it going. i had all of my zoas/palys under 150w hqi's. for the most part, there was very little growth at all. probably due to the watteage of the bulbs and the depth they were placed in the tank. (135g - so approx. 24" from the light source) in june of last year, i built a frag tank. 30g long with a 5x39w t5 fixture over it. in november i decided to break down my 135 and condese that and the frag tank into my 54 corner.

i transferred all of my zoas into the frag tank in november. after light acclimating them for 3 weeks, i noticed that:
1) they were much more open
2) the colors under the mh couldn't even compare to the vividness of them under the t5's
3) several of the colonies started to rapidly grow.

i don't ahve a polyp count, but i will give you 1 prime example. i received a frag of zombie eyes from a friend, maybe 10 polyps. i had them in the 135 for probably close to 3-4 months before moving them into the frag tank. there was NO noticable growth in that time frame. since the move, the colony has probably increased in size 4x. so that means that i have over 40 polyps in a 8 week period, with new growth almost daily.

ime (which doesn't account or much - lol) i am attributing the growth to light. light light light light light.