Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of Springfield
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Sea hare, free to a good home.

I have a big ol sea hare that is doing great. it has eaten all of the algae out of my 75 and now spends his time eating the algae that I put in there for my tang. he may end up starving in my tank, so he needs a new home with lots of algae. kinda getting expensive with him eating all my dried stuff.

if any of y'all have a hair algae problem and need something to end it quick, contact me and i'll give ya the sea hare. maybe we can pass this ugly thing around to whichever person needs it at the time. dang thing eats algae like a machine.

dont know exactly when I'll be home, but send me a PM with the best time to contact you and a way to contact you and we can set up the drop.

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 12/15/2007, 08:52 AM
Soup Nazi

what has been your experience with it concerning its ability to avoid pumps and powerheads? if this isn't/hasn't been a problem, i'd love to borrow the nasty-looking beast...
Old 12/15/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

I have been looking for one forever. I would love to borrow it for a bit. I have all of my power heads protected. I have also done everything I can possibly do to get rid of the the evil algae. It is so funny. I have some in one of my tanks and not the other. Soupy can I borrow it after you are done with it?

fishworm: where did you get it from?

Thanks
Old 12/15/2007, 01:45 PM
SEAS President

Watch acclimation time on it, whoever gets it. They must be acclimated VERY slowly.

Jason
Old 12/15/2007, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

I bought it from Cichlids and Salt. the only powerheads in my tank are Koralias so I havent had to worry, but it might get sucked into any unprotected powerheads.

I might be home on tuesday. but i'll let y'all know for sure. maybe I can drop it off then.

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 12/17/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

soupy are you going to pick it up tuesday?
Old 12/17/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

I would love to get in line for the beast. Let me know when its my turn.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:17 PM
Soup Nazi

Not sure where I'd be picking it up from... But I'd definitely let those next in line borrow it if I end up with it. I don't want to borrow it if it looks like I'll just end up killing it in a pump...
Old 12/17/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

I would like to borrow him, I have an annoying hair algae out break. Does he also eat the red bubble algae?
Old 12/17/2007, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

well....dispatch just messed me all up. they put me on a load wandering all over the country. not sure when I'll be back but it wont be before sunday or monday. guess It will have to keep eating my expensive dried algae till I get back.

I dont know if it eats bubble algae or not. I had some, and then it disappeared....but I never saw it actually eating it.

soupy, if you want it, I'll PM you when I know I am going to be home if you are going to be around. if not, I can toss it to Josh instead. it does seem to avoid my powerheads, but I have read stories of them being sucked in before. he is big enough that it will take a pretty powerful powerhead to suck him up if you have any kind of intake screen on it. the sea hare is about 4 inches long and 2 inches thick when moving around.

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 12/27/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

What is the word? Any update?
Old 12/28/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

never heard back from steve. i am back out on the road again for another week or so. i'll PM you when I get back and you can have it.

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 12/28/2007, 12:24 PM
Soup Nazi

I just checked my "outlook" stuff - looks like it had just saved my reply to your PM to me as a draft and never actually sent it... my flatworm infestation has taken care of most of my hair algae so don't worry 'bout me needing the sea hare anyway. Thanks for the consideration, but I'm sure someone else can use it and keep it away from their pumps better than I could anyhow...
Old 01/04/2008, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

WOW, I picked that beast up yesterday and he has already cleaned an entire rock! That is crazy. I would imagine I will be giving him away within the month. Muleball39 you will be next in line for it. I will post a message and send a pm when I am ready to give it up. Thanks again fishworm.

Oh yeah I acclimated him for about an hour and a half.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Glad it made it alright. that is one of the ugliest, yet neatest looking sea creatures I have ever seen. and it's an algae eating machine!

Yeah. Wait, what?