Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/15/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Meeting Thanks!

Hey thanks to everyone who came to the meeting and for supporting both the club and the school project. It was another great meeting. I really don't know what all of the complaints about the club have been all about. I think CTARS is alive and well and I had a great time chatting with people today. I couldn't ask for a better bunch of people to chat reefs with. Thanks again.
Jon
Old 04/15/2007, 08:50 PM
Lil'LebowskiUrbanAchiever

Word.

Well put. I also have to extend thanks to Jon for hosting and Greg Hiller for making the trip south to bestow some knowledge upon us (and some killer Hiller frags).

It's the education that we're looking for. Like I said earlier, it's all about keeping that fish or coral alive and well for years and being able to share it by breeding or fragging.

Thanks to all that made today possible.

We look forward to our cooler bags as well as the club Tee Shirts. Details to follow.

May meeting info will be posted shortly.

I fragged it once and I aint afraid to frag it again!
Old 04/15/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Awesome meeting...lots of valuable lessons and info...thanks to all who worked sohard to put it together!!!

By the way, what happened to TOTM??

Trip
Old 04/15/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

That was a great meeting , I especially liked the auditorium for the speakers . All in all good place with plenty of space for a meeting . Ill say it again to , I think your doin a great job at that school Jon you can see it in your students eyes . Thanks for hosting .
Old 04/15/2007, 09:15 PM
CT Area Reef Society

Jon (Fitch4) won it. but the meeting was running behind. so he didn't present his reef. we'll see if he is nice enough to present it to us next month.
Old 04/15/2007, 09:21 PM
Moved On

It was nice to have everyone into my "home" (the school) where you could see what we work so hard at. Thanks to everyone who bought frags or plugs from us, all that money will be put right back into the system for us "sweatshop coral workers" as Fitch/Jon likes to call us to keep on researching. It was grat talking to everyone today.
Old 04/15/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Really nice meeting. I'm so glad I went. Jon, I'm envious of you as well as all of your students that are involved in your/their studies. Keep up the good work.

Greg, also many thanks. Those were some awesome corals you brought with you as well as a great presentation. Its kool to see new ways to save some money in this hobby
Old 04/15/2007, 10:34 PM
Enjoying every minute.

Thanks to all who had their hand in organizing and presenting this meeting. Truely an awesome time. Jon where do I get an application for the assisstant position we're gonna create?
Old 04/15/2007, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Darn weather!! Sounds like a great meeting. Wish I could have went. Would have loved to hear Greg Hiller speak.
Old 04/16/2007, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

I'm with you eaglesrx. Sounds like it was agreat meeting really wished I could be there!

~Dee~
Old 04/16/2007, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

Jon, thank you for presenting and doing a great job with hosting the meeting. It is great to see the work you do at EO Smith, and it really shows, in the pride your students expressed and the quality of your live stock. I was expecial impressed when your students answered questions about your program, and seeing the pride in their eyes selling their frags.
Greg Hiller, thank you for the presentation "Poormans Reef", definately picked up some helful hints and some group buy ideas.
Gotta love his frags, what color.
See everyone at the next meeting in Cromwell. Another great speaker is scheduled.
Dave
Old 04/16/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

A big thank you to all who organized the meeting. The speakers were excellent, I came home with some good info and web links to research. Good job!

P.S. some schools have pools, others have great IT programs but your school has the ocean!
Old 04/16/2007, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

That was an excellent meeting. Jon, thanks so much for hosting it - love the yellow polyps I bought too! And thanks so much to the club for lining up great speakers like Jon and Greg, these meetings keep getting better and better!

YES they're pitbulls and they're NOT mean!
Old 04/16/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

My kids work really hard to keep the system up and running. I really couldn't do it without them. They deserve most of the credit, I just sit with my feet kicked up and figure out where to put the next set of tanks! Thanks again to everyone who came up and supported the project!
Jon
Old 04/16/2007, 12:47 PM
Enjoying Life

Do we know where the next meeting is?

Does anyone work at a school in the Fairfield County district that is hosting a meeting?
Old 04/16/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

The next meeting is posted on the CTARS site not sure where but I can almost guarentee it's not in Fairfield county ; I think it was Cromwell but I could be wrong. Not to many mettings in our neck of the woods. But road trips can always be fun

~Dee~
Old 04/16/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

i'm not sure if this is already being done, but now that the club is getting all these big-name speakers, i wonder if it would make sense to videotape them and put the talks online, the same way those canadians did with reefvideos.com (e.g., with Anthony Calfo)... if there is some concern about security/privacy, the videos could go in the members-only part of the CTARS site.

http://www.reefvideos.com/

p.s. we could also consider the 'virtual tank tours', too....
Old 04/17/2007, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

this is a great idea, especially since we're all so spread out and have various obligations on the weekends.
Old 04/17/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

I would be willing to record and edit the events for the club if we go that far .