Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/22/2003, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Best Cure For Ich?

I think one of my clowns might have Ich. What's the best cure?
Old 08/22/2003, 12:24 AM
RC Sponsor

Well some people say soak the fish food in garlic. I tried it and it really didn't work to well. If its a reef I would try no ich by ruby reef. It didn't kill any of my coral and my fish don't have anymore ich, but still waiting to see if it reappears.
good luck
Old 08/22/2003, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

I may be completely wrong about this, but I didn't think that clowns got ich. I seem to remember that there is some type of rot that they are prone to but not sure about ich. Having said that, hyposalinity or copper is the only way to go in my book and which one you choose is going to depend on your situation. Ich can't survive copper at medication levels or lower salinity. I have a 20 gallon that I use to treat with copper, but haven't had to do that for awhile. If you want to treat in the main tank, use hypo. Do a search for hyposalinity on the board and you'll get lots of hits.

HTH,
Mike
Old 08/22/2003, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

The clown has a few white scales on its side. The other clown has been harrassing him though
Old 08/22/2003, 01:35 AM
hobbyist

Clowns can certainly contract cryptocaryon (ich). The safest mode of treatment is hyposalinity. You need a quarantine tank to peform the procedure, but it is safe and effective. The bottled cures are not reliable, and largely not recommended. Copper works, however it must be carefully administered, and monitored a couple times a day to make sure the levels don't become toxic. I've used hypo and have had very positive outcomes. Look at the threads in the Disease/Treatment forums for other's opinions.
Old 08/22/2003, 01:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwtrojan44
Clowns can certainly contract cryptocaryon (ich). The safest mode of treatment is hyposalinity. You need a quarantine tank to peform the procedure, but it is safe and effective. The bottled cures are not reliable, and largely not recommended. Copper works, however it must be carefully administered, and monitored a couple times a day to make sure the levels don't become toxic. I've used hypo and have had very positive outcomes. Look at the threads in the Disease/Treatment forums for other's opinions.
What he said

and clowns do get ich....one of my clowns just died from ich a few days ago (garlic didn't do a thing) ;_;
Old 08/22/2003, 02:07 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The problem with RubyReef is the dosage. It is in such low levels to make it "reefsafe" that it can be quite ineffective. The active med in it could also kill inverts at proper dosage, so I wouldnt put it in my tank.

I like to add garlic though in some cases it doesnt help at all. Your best bet is hypo. I also like to use a bit of methyl blue.
If you read the Reefkeeping Online mag this month there is a good article on ich writen by Steven Pro that should help.
Good Luck!

Are you sure its Ich? Can you describe the scales better.
Old 08/22/2003, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

there are 2 white spots ive seen others on him but they go away i dont know if it is ich or what it is he seems healthy and acts normal but i keep seeing spots on him
Old 08/22/2003, 02:20 AM
hobbyist

Ich will resemble salt sprinkles in the fish, and yes they can appear to come and go, often leading us to bel;ieve that the problem is solved. This is simply the life cycle of the parasite. In a lightly stocked tank, you can try the garlic soaked foods, but it's success is anecdotal at best. If the parasite represents over and over, you need to take more direct measures. Do you have another small tank that you can use to quarantine the fish?
Old 08/22/2003, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

Do a search on Brooklynella. This is a very common disease among Clownfish. HTH
Old 08/26/2003, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Uh oh, is he gone?
Old 08/26/2003, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

IME, hyposalinity is the only reliable treatment. the main problem is it takes a long time to do if you want to ensure that the ich doesn't return. HTH.
Old 09/02/2003, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwtrojan44
jwtrojan44: When you did the hyposalinity treatment, did you only quarantine and treat the (visibly) affected fish, or did you qaurantine and treat ALL of your fish?

From the reading I've done, if you leave any 'host' fish behind in the tank, when a new cycle starts, the parasites will jump onto them. The only sure-fire way to get rid of ich is to have the tank completely clear of fish for 4 weeks.

Your experience/comments are appreciated because I'm trying to decide if I should quarantine my 1 affected animal, or go the whole nine-yards (obviously a HUGE PITA because I'd have to set up multiple quarantine tanks).