Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 09:46 PM
have fun with it!~)

Question t-5 only tanks, how many r out there?-)

I plan on going all t-5 on my 180. If you can post pix great if not please share thoughts and experiences. Pros and cons from actual users would be awesome!-) I plan on using icecap ballasts and reflectors!-)
Shawn!-)
Old 01/06/2008, 10:41 PM
Teeam Gary!

I got the Aqua Actinics T5 Solar Flare fixture with the Ice Cap ballasts just before Christmas. Wow. Very well made, I love the moon lights. Much less heat than I had with the PC fixture.
Overall, I'm very happy with it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:51 PM
have fun with it!~)

Awesome shiela, what are the dimentions of your 120!-) how many bulbs and what color temps?-)

!-)
Old 01/06/2008, 11:14 PM
Got Salt?

I know Justin runs an all t5 setup...

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 01/06/2008, 11:22 PM
have fun with it!~)

Thanks steve, hopefully he'll see the thread and weigh in!-) if not I'll pm him!-)

!-)
Old 01/07/2008, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

This is my 180 gal tank under all t5s.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01/07/2008, 12:55 AM
have fun with it!~)

When can I come over, LOL!-) I would like as much info as possible, please!-) really I am close to you so if you have the time and you're willing... So many questions for you it maybe easier to come and take a look!-)
Shawn!-)
Old 01/07/2008, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

of course you can come over. Make sure you bring a case of beer with you
Old 01/07/2008, 01:25 AM
have fun with it!~)

Got your pm and thanks!-) what day/time works best for you?-) also what do you like to drink?-)

!-)
Old 01/07/2008, 03:37 PM
Moving Along

Hey Shawn, finally saw the thread
Would love to answer any questions you have.
Pros? Lower heat output/longer bulb life than PC or MH. They grow any kind of coral; more efficiently, and mercilessly
Cons? Light can prove to be too intense for some if positioned to closely; most common mistake is underestimating the intensity of these lights.

Spectrum is subjective to tastes, but have been on both ends of the spectrum regarding warmer almost 10k'sh to a cool 20k'ish look. Can't really say I noticed a difference in growth between the two, but the corals coloration was night and day. Under the warmer spectrum blues would just pop, but the overall coloration of most was fairly drab and more often than not, light. When going towards the more bluer spectrum the corals colors definately richened and all became the colors you would expect, and have never been more happy with my present ratio2:4. On my 6 bulb config I only have 2 day bulbs(15k), the rest are true actinic, blu+ and UVL's superactinic.

-Justin
Old 01/07/2008, 05:02 PM
have fun with it!~)

Thank you justin, your post is very helpful!-) what brand of bulbs perform well, I will run the bulbs on icecaps and reflectors?-) BTW things look great in your tank?-)

!-)
Old 01/07/2008, 05:39 PM
Moving Along

ATI and Geismann are the best. Just remember that using an IC ballast WILL overdrive your bulbs. For example a 48" 54w bulb will be overdriven to 80w.

-Justin
Old 01/07/2008, 07:12 PM
have fun with it!~)

So I take it overdriving means less bulb life and more heat. How long do you get out of your bulbs and what ballast are you running?-) how long should I expect overdrivin bulbs to last?-)

!-)
Old 01/07/2008, 07:51 PM
have fun with it!~)

So I take it overdriving means less bulb life and more heat. How long do you get out of your bulbs and what ballast are you running?-) how long should I expect overdrivin bulbs to last?-)

!-)
Old 01/07/2008, 09:29 PM
Moving Along

The last I looked that was an obvious concern, regarding the life. I think overall it was unfounded and most was based on speculation but when I was reading, there was no real conclusive evidence of life shortening, and if it was, it was miniscule.

The manufacturer will tell you you get 2 years life. A hobbyist(like myself) who's concerned with spectrum shifting will suggest to replace every 12-18mo. I would still er on the side of caution and replace every 12 mo., especially if you are overdriving them.

Me personally use Workhorse ballasts. Theres a stigma regarding there instant start, as being too hard and will shorten bulb life. But as it turned out the number proposed was a key word here "potential" to decrease up to 4-5months short. But if your swapping them out every 18 months at least this point will be moot. To add, Ive been using the same ballasts for the past 5 years

-Justin
Old 01/07/2008, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I have a 210 and use 9 bulbs with Icecap ballast and reflectors. I like it a lot better than my old setup. My tank runs a lot cooler now. The only draw back is perhaps the loss of shimmer and the blue some MH bulbs bring out of some corals.

Old 01/07/2008, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

I run t-5 along with halides. I'm little off topic here but I like what the t5's have done with the look of the tank. Much brighter looking. I also run workhorse ballast like Justin.

120G
1-400W mh
1-175w mh
2X 36" ho T-5
Old 01/08/2008, 12:44 AM
have fun with it!~)

Thanks guys!-)
Hey gabe your tank looks as sweet as ever!-) what brand of bulbs are you using and what color temps and how long until you replace them?-) what lengths/watts too?-)
Old 01/08/2008, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

I would run ATI Blue+, Aquaspecial, KZ Coral light and Fiji Purple bulbs-- or ATI pro color. With T5s there are a lot of different bulb configurations. How the tank will look is entirely based on your own taste. You have to experiment with them. Be sure to have a fan to actively cool your lamps and get SLR reflectors. I would change them out every 8-9 months.

Jay
Old 01/08/2008, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Shawn.

I run 5 ATI BluePlus, 2 ATI Aquablue, 2 ATI Procolor. They are 60'' bulbs, driven to 102-110watts each, and I replace them every year.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

T5 vs. T5

Since we're talking about T5 lighting, I'm hoping to make a move in this direction in the near future. I've been looking at a couple of units for a while and would like some feedback. You can find both of these units at aquacave...the pricing and such appears to be similar, so any thoughts on either of these units to help differentiate them would be greatly appreciated.

T5 Ocean Light 48" 8 x 54W Lamps by AquaMedic
TEK LIGHT T5 48" 8 x 54W Lamps by Sunlight Supply
Old 01/08/2008, 06:04 PM
have fun with it!~)

For those that run icecap ballasts what model do you have?-) I already have a 660 and a 430. If I could use these do they sell the endcaps/standoffs and relectors seperately?-)
Thanks!-)

!-)
Old 01/08/2008, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

www.icecapinc.com would be a great place to start Shawn that being said, yes, they sell T5 end caps that look similiar to the VHO ones they sell. That's also a yes to the SLR as well.

430 and 660 both work for T5s
Old 01/08/2008, 06:51 PM
Moving Along

reefgeek or http://www.innovativelights.com for all your DIY lighting needs.

-Justin
Old 01/08/2008, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

If you get end caps for t5 make sure you get the snap lock as oppose to the twist lock. I own both and the snap lock is much better. If you plan to retrofit, use the icecap stand off, they are perfectly matched for the icecap SLR reflector.