Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Finding Nemo Fish Tank

just wondering, does anyone have a tank that looks like the one in finding nemo at the dentist?
Old 12/04/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

It is a tough tank to replicate because the fish would eat each other, fight, and the painted rock would not hold much biolgic. Other than that, good luck.

John
Old 12/04/2007, 05:34 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
is that supposed to be a joke?

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 12/04/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I actually replicated it for a while but used pink somoa #1 sand as teh gravel andhad an anemone for the percula
Old 12/04/2007, 11:23 PM
Moved On

That tank is way too small for all the fish. Where did you get the little scanner that cleans the tank?
Old 12/04/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

I think the puffer would just devour all the little guys.
Old 12/04/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

This is the first thing I thought of after I saw the movie. Figured someone would try it. Seems unlikely it would work though!
Old 12/05/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

why not they get along fine in the movie... what is it a 50g???
Old 12/05/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

I'd advise against this just because of the Moorish Idol, they don't survive well in captivity (I know some of you have done it though), and I hate to see those beautiful fish die for an experiment.....
Old 12/05/2007, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Puffers like to eat anything that fits in their mouth, particularly shrimp, like Jacques.. Moorish Idols are nearly impossible to keep successfully long-term. And the tank is much too small to keep the Idol, the tang, or the puffer.

Overall, this type of mix is just not a good idea...
Old 12/05/2007, 02:54 PM
Grand High Puba

... stupid movie. I can't fathom how many fish have died in the hobby as a result of that movie.

Last edited by Waxxiemann; 12/05/2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Waxxiemann
... stupid movie. I can't fathom how many fish have dies in the hobby as a result of that movie.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:33 PM
Grand High Puba

well it's true.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Waxxiemann
... stupid movie. I can't fathom how many fish have died in the hobby as a result of that movie.
Can't really blame the movie, you have to blame the parents who buy their kids fish without doing any proper research.

The film in no way promotes fishkeeping, infact it does the opposite.

Any film with animals in will make kids want them, it's down to the parents to be responsible.

I remember when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a hit over here, there was a massive sales increase in terrapins. 10 months later when the kids got bored of them they ended up being deumped in ponds up and down the country playing havoc with the food chain.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Yes, it's true. But that's a pretty harsh response. I doubt the creators of the movie envisioned the impending disaster for those poor fishes...

I don't blame them at all. I blame stupid people who don't do their homework before buying living creatures as pets, and parents who don't know how to say "no" to their kids.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:54 PM
Grand High Puba

i agree. It's just an unfortunate situation all around. I didn't intend to come across as "harsh". It's frustrating.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

Agreed.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, i agree it's a very unfortunate situation.

It looks set to be a film watched by many generations of kids as well, so many more poor Clownfish are destined to suffer.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

the important thing is that Nemo is ok

haha, come on seriously
Old 12/05/2007, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

I know that the puffer and moorish idol obviously wouldnt be included but the moorish idol could be replaced with a poor mans
Old 12/05/2007, 04:38 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

i remember seeing a picture of one at a LFS in FL. they had the tank made just like the nemo tank. until all the storms in 04.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skey44
why not they get along fine in the movie... what is it a 50g???

Please tell me that's a joke.

Ok, for everyone who has been considering the Finding Nemo tank, let's look at the things working against having this style of tank.

BLOAT
(porcupinefish, aka porcupine puffer Diodon holocanthus)

As previously mentioned, the porcupinefish will consume pretty much any fish or invertebrates that fit into their mouth. This includes the juvenile clownfish (Nemo), the royal gramma (Gurgle), the humbug damselfish (Deb/Flo), and the skunk cleaner (Jacques)- all of which would add up to one expensive feeding. Although Bloat is not exactly a specimen of Diodon holocanthus (the long-spine porcupinefish), that particular species is commonly associated with the character and is one of the more commonly available porcupinefish. Unfortunately, porcupinefish grow quite large, especially the long-spine porcupinefish; the tank scene in the movie isn't exactly an appropriate size for this fish. So.... and this adds up to a polite way of telling you to skip the puffer.

GILL
(moorish idol Zanclus cornutus)

Moorish idols are notoriously difficult to keep, since they are highly selective feeders, feeding on sponges and polyps primarily. Very often, in captivity, they waste away and die of slow starvation, even with expert keepers. Those that do survive and thrive in captivity can be quite voracious polyp-eaters in the end. In addition to that, like the porcupinefish (Bloat), the moorish idol will require a very large tank, but even that isn't a guarantee that the moorish idol will survive in a particular environment. Let's keep it simple: if experts have trouble keeping them, they're not for the average hobbyist. You *could* substitute a Heniochus acuminatus (Heniochus butterfly or bannerfish), for the moorish idol. They're not an "easy" butterfly, but they're no where near as difficult as the moorish idol.

DEB (and her reflection Flo)
(humbug damsel Dascyllus melanurus)

Unfortunately, while the humbug damsel is commonly sold to unwary beginners as a "cycling fish," the humbug damsel is among that.... er..... special class of fish called damsels (d'uh). However, what people are rarely told is that, in small groups or by themselves, damselfish can turn aggressive and mean to smaller or more passive fish. While many keepers assert that damsels can be kept individually, the results vary, more often than not ending up with a keeper desperate to remove the offending fish. So, sadly, the humbug damsel is not as helpful and caring as their movie representative, Deb.

BUBBLES
(yellow tang Zebrasoma flavescens)

I love "Bubbles," because a part of me feels that this is what happens when you try to keep an animal in too small of a tank. At least, I don't think the fish is going to become obsessed with bubbles, but any member of the "Tang Police" will argue that too small of a tank, no matter how impeccably kept, isn't good for the mental health and behavioral patterns of tangs. So, while some people will argue that the tank in Finding Nemo would be ok for a yellow tang, I'm certain the "Tang Police" would very quickly be jumping to speak against that. Yellow tangs, and any tang for that matter, really needs a tank with long proportions to be able to cruise and graze for algae in what is considered their natural behavioral patterns.

PEACH
Peach is kind of hard to peg down. See, Peach looks very much like a Fromia star, but I have seen several people in their attempt to keep a Finding Nemo keep chocolate chip stars (Protoreastor nodosus) in place of a Fromia star. This is because the chocolate chip starfish is very hardy, commonly available, and relatively cheap. However, the downside to the chocolate chip star is that they're not reef safe.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Apostle

The film in no way promotes fishkeeping, infact it does the opposite.
I would have to agree. My girlfriend made me watch the movie at the first mention of a sw tank. When I first wanted one I didn't know they were all for the most part taken right off the reef. Kind of sad.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefergeorge
I would have to agree. My girlfriend made me watch the movie at the first mention of a sw tank. When I first wanted one I didn't know they were all for the most part taken right off the reef. Kind of sad.

See, my old boss actually gave all the staff their own, DVD copy of Finding Nemo, and I always found it ironic that he gave us all a movie that seemed to promote NOT keeping fish as pets.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

435 people have viewed this thread out of all them youd think of one them had a tank like it