Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/24/2007, 10:34 AM
Team RC Member

Extreme Makeover 4 years later, Part 1

Part 1

In October of 2006, I began the process of completely dismantled my entire reef tank. My system had reached maximum growth and my corals were beginning to grow onto and into each other. Some were being stung/irritated, and many of corals were no longer receiving the proper lighting from the excessive growth which began to shadow a lot of my colonies. I had reduced my photoperiod to curtail the growth and I felt that starving them of the photosynthesis they needed was wrong. I hate getting in there chopping pieces off the reef, so I felt the time was now.

My taste in what I wanted to collect has changed so I felt I could achieve a lot with this breakdown. I got rid of all my Florida ricordea and many of the zoanthids and palys from the 2003 picture below. I wanted to do something different. Instead of the Zoanthid, Palythoa and Ricordea tank, I chose to now collect the uncommom pieces that would be more of a challenge. Hard to find polyps and rare mushrooms along with crazy blastos are what holds my interest now. Hopefully I will be able to post a picture in August once all of the new corals have filled in. It is my sincere hope to have the new 210 up next year completely stocked with over 300 different zoanthids and Palythoas along with many rare mushrooms and blastomusa. Below are 2 pictures that I took four years ago.

Hopefully I can post a picture of the new system completly grown out in August of this year.

Mucho Reef
Old 02/24/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

WOw beutiful looking tank man.I cant tell are those softies or SPS or LPS
Old 02/24/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

i hope you have plenty of tissues.I'd be crying like a baby taking that apart!
Old 02/24/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Mucho your tank has always been my No.1 favorite set-up I have ever seen!

It still is to this day. I've lost count how many times I've looked back at your photos from your TOTM win over the years. They still make me go WOW now! I got my first computer around about the same time I set-up my first ever tank. I knew next to nothing about this hobby at the time as my first tank was a gift. This web-site and your tank were some of the very first things I came across when doing my first steps in research. I can't describe just how big an impact, impression and influence seeing and reading about your tank had on me at that time. I really didn't understand what it was I was looking at at that time, let alone what it would take to create something like it myself but beautiful and impressive though it was! So much so in fact, I skipped over the usual practice of starting out with fresh water fish, (against all advice at the time) and went straight for marine/saltwater with a determined goal of someday having something as incredible and stunning as your tank. My journey in this wonderful hobby hasn't had too many bumps thankfully but it's had many many highs. I also still have that obsession with zoos.

It is a shame in some small way that some things in life that are so beautiful can't just stay that way all the time, forever perfect. However if they did, would they then seem so beautiful? Better still to grow and blossom into something that inevitably will be far greater in the end. I'm SURE your new creation MUCHO will too be even more awesome and inspiring than the last. I know I won't be the only one here who can't wait to see the first photos!!!

Good luck with your new set-up mate and thank you once again for having shared your tank, experience and friendly advise over the years.

Respect!

aidyb
Old 02/24/2007, 05:03 PM
Team RC Member

sandshifter532, thanks, all softies in there. The new system will be the same with one or two surprises.

xxtriggermanxx, the crying comes from taking the entire day from dusk to dawn to do it, LOL

Wady, your tank is spectacular, if I haven't told you already, I'll say it again, cause it is.

Mucho
Old 02/24/2007, 08:47 PM
Word

Mucho Your old tank is what got me into zoa's/palys. I can't wait to see pics of the new tank!
Old 02/24/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

I like your tank.
Old 02/24/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

that was an amazing tank!!!! i can't wait to see the new one!
Old 02/25/2007, 01:49 AM
zoa ninja

looking forward to an update pic.
Old 02/25/2007, 09:28 AM
Team RC Member

In 2005, I begin to sell off or trade alomost everything in the picture above in preparation for starting over. It was hard parting with all those rics, but they were simply consuming too much room. With the discovery of so many new zoanthids and Palythoas, I chose to spend a year collecting more colorful rare specimens for the new system. I'm just letting nature take its course as things are growing very well. Hopefully I can share a picture soon.

Mucho Reef
Old 02/26/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Hey Mucho,

Your showing your tank pictures reminds of one of the things that I miss moving to Orlando--seeing your tank. It still looks great; hopefully, I will be able to get mine set up down here in the hot south!
Old 02/26/2007, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

some close ups?
Old 02/26/2007, 11:28 PM
Limestone cowboy

Hey mucho, Very nice my friend!!! Glad to see ya post some pics.
ALOT of the people here could learn a thing or 2 from mucho's ethics, and devotion in the hobby.
Old 02/27/2007, 01:58 PM
Moved On

beautiful tank that's for sure...

I've seen Mucho's tank twice and it's stunning to see all the colors.. also, the aquascaping is phenominal... it really reminds you of a natural reef.. I had a chance to snorkel on some reefs recently and seeing these pics reminded me of my snorkeling the Philippine's reefs.. I haven't had a chance to see Mucho's tank in person in a while.. I'm looking forward to seeing the new tank like everyone else..

Marvin
Old 02/27/2007, 07:18 PM
Team RC Member

OK OK, I will send you guys the money I promised for posting those kind words. Thanks.

Mucho Reef
Old 02/28/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

All I can say is WOW, I've not ever seen this tank before, but the colors and layout are amazing. I can't wait to see what the new tank holds.
Old 03/01/2007, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

Mucho - Wow!
Old 03/01/2007, 02:19 AM
Premium Member

Your tank is definitely one of my favorites. I have seen numerous threads linking to that TOTM article and many mention of it's inspiration.

Of course, the real solution is to just set up a second tank!

I eagerly await MUCHO version 2.0!!!
Old 03/02/2007, 04:38 PM
Team RC Member

WOW thanks, in time I would love to share it.

Mucho
Old 03/02/2007, 06:52 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by MUCHO REEF
WOW thanks, in time I would love to share it.

Mucho
I think a teaser pic would suffice..

Marvin
Old 03/03/2007, 03:15 AM
Unregistered Member

Man that one nice looking tank. Best of luck with your new setup!!!

The name's Luis. Don't ask.