Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/15/2007, 04:10 AM
g0t fIsH

any ideas?? chiller for total 900 gal setup w/300gal sump-refugium

looking to get a high end chiller out there, i was checking out pacific coast chiller c1000 220v heard that they was ok

also looking into aqualogic models too

my system is located in the garage and will be installing chiller outside

any ideas???? thanks
Old 02/15/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

cbui2,
I run (2) of those chillers 1 hp each 500 gallon total system

1 runs during the cooler fall/winter/spring months, and the other is turned on during the summer. saves on power bill over the years.
Old 02/15/2007, 03:40 PM
g0t fIsH

you do you think on these chiller good great or ok, i was going to start with one now and add on 1 more later...

i know there are so many chillers available nows day, too many to choose from and some are such poor quality
(red house for 600gal)
Old 02/15/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

cbui2,
Here is the deal. They come with a temp control of 2 degree range. good for fish, but in my opinion - not enough control for delicate corals. When I needed to run both (summer) I could never get them to run in tandem. one would shut off and the other would not be ready to do the same ,and just keep running. It was fustrating. I ended up using the control from a medusa, and let it turn on a relay that would then make a connection for the temp signal in each unit. I used set minimum set points on the chiller for a turn off safety if the medusa failed. I If my memory is correct, if the power is interrupted to th chiller, you need to manualy re start it. that's why I used the signal from the temp probes. (Hope this helps)
Old 02/16/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

I've worked with several sizes of the aqualogic chillers, and have found them to be very reliable, though you will want to be careful installing any chiller outside, as corrosion will shorten the service life considerably. I've seen chillers (various brands) routinely burn out in 2-3 years in humid greenhouse type facilities while the same models run 7-8 years+ in temperature controlled buildings.
Old 02/16/2007, 03:37 AM
g0t fIsH

thanks bchristie, but my tank will be setup in my garage so where will the the best place i can install this unit.. i recently install 12,000 btu window unit in my garage last summer, if that the case what size do you suggest me running on my system and do i need two, thanks
(red house for 600gal)
Old 02/16/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

i am running alittle over 1000gallons of water and i have a 1Hp chiller from current and it works perfect, even comes with a remote.
Old 02/16/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

cbui2... i had a 1000G system running in SoCal before I moved to Colorado. i used an aqualogic heat-pump. it's basically a small-home air conditioner (traine) split unit mounted on top of a heat-transfer coil (titanium in PVC shell.) it's totally outdoor rated (NEMA 4 enclosure) and built sturdy as a rock. i used a 1 1/2 HP unit because my neighborhood got up to 115deg in the summer, and I didn't have A/C in the outbuilding that the tank was installed inside of. if your garage doesn't have A/C, might be a good fit for you . . .

the biggest benefit to the heat-pump is that it pushes heat into the water, was well as drawing it out. in other words, one unit becomes your heater and chiller.

you can check them out on the aquatic eco systems web site under "heat pumps"

--sean--
Old 02/16/2007, 07:02 PM
g0t fIsH

thanks pch90265, but i dont believe i need heaters down here in new orleans, but chiller yes...i heard alot on these aqualogic chiller and been used all around

purpletang26 what chiller are you currently using
(red house for 600gal)
Old 02/16/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Can't make a suggestion on brand but can on sizing...I'd shoot for the 18,000 btu (1.5hp) range. Maybe you could find hvac guy locally to use a regular A/C unit and online bought Ti HX. With the humidity and heat you get down there you wont be getting much from evaporation losses. Other factors are not known though such as lighting, ambient temp in garage, number of pumps, type of pumps and so forth. 18,000 is just a guess but you couldnt get a more definite number once you get the tank installed w/o livestock if possible.

Far as temperature goes there are numerous systems out there using capacity control that can control down to .1 of a degree but probably nothing off the shelf.

Last edited by BruiseAndy; 02/16/2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02/17/2007, 02:39 AM
g0t fIsH

thanks bruiseandy i guess with all the equipment i have will put out plenty of heat so bigger chiller wont hurt, it's always better more than less, i will tried to ask around to see if the guys down here can do that.......
(red house for 600gal)