Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography

Old 04/25/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Identity of posted photos, can we do it?

I have a request, along with posting all those wonderful photos of your varied and beautiful animals, could you please list the names of such? Common names would be good, Scientific names along with the common name would be outstanding. It would help alot of us who have either been away a long time or are new to the hobby ... It is a simple request that may take you a couple of extra seconds, please?
"Watch Him Folks He's A Fairly Dangerous Man"
Old 04/26/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

that would be a great idea.

all pics taken with a
fijifilm finepix S700
Old 04/29/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Only one person stepped forward to agree with my statement ... Amazing. I thought that the posted Identities would be beneficial to everyone here at this site in all of the different forums. If you saw an amazing photo of a fish or coral you would not have to spend hours looking throught various books (if ou even have them available) trying to find out the identity of that item that someone should have right at their finger tips. And the best part is it would only take the poster an extra couple of seconds to type in the info. I'm not saying that if you are unaware of your new purchase that you spend hours researching it just to post a label on this site. Listing the names if known has great potential for everyone !
Old 04/29/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Certainly a very good request. Of course, I don't know what you're expecting to happen. You're not going to get everyone who posts here to respond with their promises to always post the names of their corals and fish from here on out. Hopefully, though, you've at least put that thought into people's heads, though. I agree that we could all benefit from seeing the names matched to the pictures. The best coral/fish book in the world couldn't have pictures of every variation of every fish and invertebrate. This forum is a great opportunity to expand everyone's knowledge of what's out there.

-Mike C.
Old 04/29/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

I agree with you wholeheartedly Island. Sometimes text can come off a little differently than spoken word. I did not expect that everyone would read and or comply, however it would be a very good thing if it could create that thought among those that do see the post. Thanks everyone.
Old 04/30/2007, 02:04 PM
TRC Leader

The trick is getting them to read your request. And then hoping they'll remember it later. I tend to describe my pictures and the livestock inside. I figure there is always someone reading that won't know what something is, so it saves time to just put the info there in the first place.
Old 04/30/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
it would be a very good thing if it could create that thought among those that do see the post.
And, hopefully that's exactly what will happen. Anyway, as I said before, very good idea.

-Mike C.
Old 05/02/2007, 01:38 PM
New Title

It's a great idea, the only problem with it is, what happens when you don't know the name of the thing you're posting a picture of. I can't be the only one here that doesn't know the names of all their corals. Again though, I guess it's the effort that counts and is a good idea.

SereneReef