Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Red River Valley Aquarium Club

Old 12/04/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Talking Have a question for you Mr. James

Do we have ENOUGH snow yet?? Can it melt and be summer now??

Just had to ask.

~~Ange

Land of the Free, Because of the Brave!
Old 12/04/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Good god, it's pretty deep here in Grand Forks too. Lost control of my honda today and went in a ditch near the airport. Tow trucks are NOT cheap!
Old 12/07/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

I think we need more snow!
Old 12/07/2007, 02:28 PM
sweeeet!!

Re: Have a question for you Mr. James

Quote:
by pooh1989
Do we have ENOUGH snow yet?? Can it melt and be summer now??

Just had to ask.

~~Ange
Believe it or not, the snow is deep enough to ride the ditches and trails, but it's too dry. Dry snow causes it to get packed in the engine compartment and cause issues. Now, I know it's deep cuz I rolled a touring sled yesterday in a ditch near town!! Came over an enbankment and jknew I qwas in trouble as I went head first into a huge drift. Tried to ride it out, but no good!! The guys I was test riding with were hysterical with laughter. The rule is, since they helped me right it, I have to buy the first round of beers!!

The snow is a good thing for our business for sure!! Last year we didn't get "ride worthy" snow till February, thus our sales reflected it. I am heading out this afternoon for a quick ride on a competitors sled.

Ange, you have a sled?? Anybody else?? Have you been out yet?? Maybe we could do a reef club group ride?!?

EDIT: If you are miserable and want summer, check out the place we recently moved from, I can give you ideas of wehere to stay and where not to. Plus all teh good LFS's along the way. CLICK ME!!

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 12/07/2007, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

No I do not have a sled and I HATE HATE HATE winter. I have lived here all my life. I grew up just 20 miles away. But because I live here doesn't mean I have to like the weather. My parents moved to AZ 5 years ago, I would follow them, but the pay down there STINKS.

Ok...off that subject, just have to share a story with you. Yesterday I was in Fargo with my 2 girl friends. We were shopping at one of those "stores" and were looking at the fish things. This lady came up and asked us how tropical fish did around here. Asked how we kept them warm. We stated we knitted little sweaters for them and left. We were laughing so hard and the lady was dead serious about it.

We are planning a trip to Fl in March with my brother's family and my parents are meeting us there. Will be a wonderful week of sun and will come home burnt to a crisp again.

Ok about the next meeting. Can we have it either the 1st or 3rd weekend of January??? I can meet in Fargo or Grand Forks. I'm right in the middle. I would really love to come and met some of you guys in person.

~~Ange

Land of the Free, Because of the Brave!
Old 12/09/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

My wifes family has 5 sleds, 3 in working condition at this time. They dont have current tags... The past couple years has been pretty crappy for riding... this year has some potential though.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

What was wrong with last year??? There was more than enough snow in this area..
Old 12/09/2007, 11:08 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by tarax
What was wrong with last year??? There was more than enough snow in this area..
From what I understand, the good riding snow didn't arrive until February. This year, we are able to go out in the ditches and such, but the snow is mediocre for riding. I'm no expert, just stating what was told to me.

Old 12/11/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

yeah, the snow last year sucked. Plus last year we would get a snow storm then it would warm up and create hard snow and ice. This year if we get a couple more storms and it doesnt get warm, we should be ok for riding.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:18 PM
sweeeet!!

I'm still afraid to drive across the river here in town. They say it's thick enough and their are tracks all up and down the river. I have chosen NOT to ride on it quite yet. Granted I am riding company sleds and the only thing I have to worry about is me getting wet!!

Old 12/11/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Just thought I'd throw it out there that I've never been snowmobiling, but would LOVE to go sometime. :P
Old 12/11/2007, 11:31 PM
sweeeet!!

I don't own my own sled I use company ones and guests are not allowed unless you are a supplier. Otherwise I'd love to have yo over and we could go for a ride.

Old 12/12/2007, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

I work out side year round , the last thing I want to do is ride a machine that creates it's own wind chill....LOL.
I'll stick to the hill climbs in the summer.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

I agree with you ice.. That and ICE fishing.. Never have understood the wanting to sit on top of ice and fish..
Old 12/13/2007, 12:09 AM
sweeeet!!

You guys are from the north. You got to know that ice fishing houses have come a long way. Head over to East GF and head north on 220 (I think) and there is a place up there that sells these things. They are little houses with retractable wheels.

The sled I was riding had a thumb warmer and grip warmers. I had the grip warmer on high for about 15 minutes before I had to turn it off. I swear I burnt my fingers. The thumb warmer wasn't that hot. Heck, some of the nice touring sleds have MP3 players, two way radios and heated seats.

Two touring sleds could set you back a decent 400g complete reef tanks with all the bells and whistles.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for.... Hey, that's gonna be my new tag line... Thanks guys.

Old 12/13/2007, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

anti snow war..... "Let the warm weather come and the sun shine, I have a Golf addiction"......ROFL.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:01 AM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by icereefer
.... I have a Golf addiction"......ROFL.
I do too. Been playing since I was 13 years old. We ought to play some time when the weather gets nice. I bet there are some nice courses over there in GF!!

Old 12/26/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Mr. James - How long have you worked at Arctic Cat? I know a couple engineers up in that next of the woods...My pops was VP Engineering @ Polaris for 35 years. I used to race quite a bit in HS, but now its just mountain riding and a little ditch banging for me.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:06 PM
sweeeet!!

I have only been there 8 mos. I work in the Styling Department at Arctic as a Design Engineer. Do your engineers work for Arctic or Polaris?? We have some Polaris sleds at work, but I haven't ridden them yet. Maybe this week, hopefully.

PM me your dad's name. Maybe the guys at work know him!?!

Old 12/29/2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

My dad retired a few years ago...his name is Chuck Baxter. He just got inducted into the Polaris Hall of Fame.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:39 PM
sweeeet!!

I'll pass his name along. That makes you Reefaquariumnut Baxter.

Old 12/29/2007, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr James
I do too. Been playing since I was 13 years old. We ought to play some time when the weather gets nice. I bet there are some nice courses over there in GF!!
Since you were 13 years old.
my addiction started Last year...LOL.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:15 PM
sweeeet!!

I went to Golf Camp three years in a row in northern Michigan; Grandpa sent my cousin and I. I golfed with the same set of clubs up until I was 31 and then I got a custom set. My game went to heck. Prior to the new clubs, I was a handicap of 9. Now, I just drink beer to cover my mistakes.

I did outdrive my boss in a tournament where they had the longest drive on a particular hole. I won a jacket. And was warned not to out drive the boss. His tough luck!!

Old 12/29/2007, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

I can out drive my oldest son if I T off with a Baseball bat...LOL.
No I just picked up a new set at the end of fall I bought some taylor Made Irons and R7 Driving Wood and fairway woods a 3 and a rescue.
Haven't played enough in one place to know what my handy cap is but it's probably high...LOL.
I just go out to get fresh air and be with my boys, there the golf lovers. but I was getting there I was going out about 3 times a week.
this spring I'm selling my Boat and get a trailor and a golf cart.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:14 PM
sweeeet!!

What kind of boat/trailer for sale??