Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish

Old 01/05/2008, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

dead horse

ok i had two kelloggi horses a month and a half old, both were doing great then one died after i thought getting stuck on the filter return, but now a week later the other has died, looking for ideas i still have a pipe fish and another horse i got from another place different kind. i looked at the one that died very good and it had no signs of ick or anything on its body, it want skinny it was eating but not a lot or as much. water is great i have a 90 gallon reef i have had for about 5 years and it is doing great, but horses are another thing and i'm still learning but i have looked up thing on the net and still cant find what might have happened, i did cover the intake to the filter so that is not a problem anymore, my inverts are also doing well, cleaner shrimp feather duster and such, no corals in this tank. its a 55 gallon and again is testing perfect..help with any ideas..both were very yellow in color when they died still didnt change back to black from stress or anything before they died.

thanks
Old 01/06/2008, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Possible they were not eating enough??
B
Old 01/06/2008, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

The mixing of seahorses from different vendors and seahorses of different species often ends in the death of some or all of the seahorses. Mixing seahorses with pipefish also often causes the death of the seahorses and/or pipefish. The cause is bacterial because the different species carry strains of bacteria that they others are especially vulnerable to. Also, the "kelloggi" in the stores lately have been having a variety of problems, both bacterial and parasitic.
Old 01/06/2008, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

today while still trying to figure what happened, i found a brissle worm of pretty good size, in the area both horse would hang out i,m wondering if the worm didn't get them
Edit/Delete Message
Old 01/06/2008, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

doubtful. bristleworms are detrivores and scavengers, they do not eat live fish, only dead fish. the only time a bristleworm can kill a seahorse is if a seahorse accidentally snicks a smaller one and gets it stuck in their snout.