Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 12/30/2007, 06:52 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...6#post11485976
Old 12/30/2007, 06:52 PM
Genuine reef addict

I'm trying to picture a little voodoo doll sewn in the shape of a Hydor Flow - with pins stuck in it!
Old 12/30/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

SPLIT!

LOL how about the funky chicken dance I might do, while holding the voodoo doll!
Old 12/30/2007, 06:57 PM
Genuine reef addict

Woohoooooooo! My wish came true - I was finally able to be the cause of another split in this monster thread I created! Now I can go to heaven with a smile on my face! Whooda ever thunk there would be so many RSM owners around to keep this thing going? I certainly didn't. Thank you all!
Old 12/30/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Cheers to you Reefmack!
Old 12/30/2007, 07:34 PM
Excuse My French...

Congratulations ReefMack: Now 5,000+ contributions and almost 85,000 views... This is the thread of the year indeed. RC mods/admins should give it a sticky!
Old 12/30/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

yeha
Old 12/30/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Wahoooo Reefmack! Once Again!!!!

My Goodness... Another Split? Too many posts and interest in RSM's by there owners???!!! Red Sea should know about this? !!!

Thank You Reefmack for "DIRECTING" me (weeks ago) to this forum and thread! Congrats on it's success!

Y-DesygnGuy -

Like Reefmack I too enjoyed your movies! In the second scene, that I think is recorded from the left side of your RSM, I noticed you had placed a LR 'outcrop' in the front left corner of your tank.... Am I correct?

WHATEVER YOU DID, I LIKE IT AND WANT TO COPY THE IDEA!!!! THANK YOU!!!

The gobie, wrasse, blenny swimming in that scene is WHAT?

Thanks for the view!

I personally recommend a 'WHITE VINEGAR' soak for all your Koralia parts and then an old toothbrush scrub before you give up on it!

r/Kent
Old 12/30/2007, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

Y-DesygnGuy: My hydor flo stops spinning every couple of days or so, because of a snail usually. I haven't ever had one completely die, but looking at the way they are made, a good cleaning should bring it back.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Congratulations ... a split, again!!
Old 12/30/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish -- Thanks! Yes that is a rock I put out away from the back wall with the intention to place mushrooms on it. I was reading about people making ricordea islands and mushroom gardens and knew I wanted something similar. So when I went to pick out my live rock for this tank, I looked for a piece I could make into an arch like that and had a nice side to cover! I think I can get about another 30-40 of them on the back side that rock if I tried!

The fish you are talking about is my Purple Fire Fish I believe. If had the money to spend I would of gotten a Hellfrics Firefish, but $150-$170 for a single fish is a bit much for me.

I will try the white vinegar this evening and see how it does over night. But I am still really liking the flow the tank how now with it off. who know's...

Iostream -- Yeah I ran it under water to clean it, but it still didn't want to spin, so its getting a soaking over night!

I tried to take another video as it got darker, but everyone is home now and no one wants to be quite for me. So this second video is a little longer (17 megs) but isn't as washed out.

http://www.y-desygn.com/tank/RSM3.mov

http://www.y-desygn.com/tank/RSM2.mov
Old 12/30/2007, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

There is a reason why you bought the hydor flo. Since your not looking at your tank 24/7/365, on your new one you could put an on/off switch on it. When you go to look at the tank, turn it off, when you leave turn it back on.

Marty

I will try the white vinegar this evening and see how it does over night. But I am still really liking the flow the tank how now with it off. who know's...
Old 12/30/2007, 09:35 PM
Genuine reef addict

Iostream - I've had big turbo snails on my Hydor Flo and it still keeps turning, snail and all. Were you talking about small snails getting inside?

Marty - no way to put a switch on a Hydor Flo - it's a pretty simple gadget that attaches to a powerhead and the flow from the pump is what turns it. Sorta like a windmill type thing, but the wind in this case is the pump flow. The only way to turn one off is to turn that powerhead pump off.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Oh.

Marty

Marty - no way to put a switch on a Hydor Flo - it's a pretty simple gadget that attaches to a powerhead and the flow from the pump is what turns it. Sorta like a windmill type thing, but the wind in this case is the pump flow. The only way to turn one off is to turn that powerhead pump off. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 12/30/2007, 09:48 PM
Genuine reef addict

No problem Marty - you'll know just about everything you need to know by the time you get that tank! The more you know ahead of time the better off you'll be!
Old 12/30/2007, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Reefmack: Yeah smaller snails, cerith, nerites, etc. They get in between the input and the body, just enough to jam it and stop the rotation. Just takes a second to pop them out.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

I'm setting up a Red Sea Max. I added a sump in the stand, a phosphate reactor & protein skimmer behind the tank, a shallow tanks beside it with a Viper 70 which will be for clams and invertebrates. I have also plumbed in a Nanocude 6 as a speciman tank. I just finished leak testing everything and am now slowly filling it with R.O. water.

Here's some pictures:

Overall setup

CPR Overflow and mod for surface skimming

The sump

Rear plumbing
Old 12/31/2007, 12:40 AM
Professional Obfuscator

...like my anemone...Reefmack's baby keeps splitting and splitting!...
Old 12/31/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent F
I'm setting up a Red Sea Max. I added a sump in the stand, a phosphate reactor & protein skimmer behind the tank, a shallow tanks beside it with a Viper 70 which will be for clams ...
Hi Brent ... wow beautiful job on your new tank set up! You have been very busy putting it all together. Will you have to remove the stock hood?
Are you making your own ro/di water?
Welcome to the club ... it's a great place to be!
Donna
Old 12/31/2007, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

My Goodness Brent F.

Brent F.

Welcome.... and where have you been? Not that I claim to know everyone on this thread.... LOL!

May I ask the origin and reason behind all the MODS for your new RSM?

Old 12/31/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by donna53w
Hi Brent ... wow beautiful job on your new tank set up! You have been very busy putting it all together. Will you have to remove the stock hood?
Are you making your own ro/di water?
Welcome to the club ... it's a great place to be!
Donna
All mods fit under the hood so from the front the RSM looks stock. The only mods I made to the RSM itself were removing the chiller plug, cutting out a 9 inch wide portion of the back (below the hood) for the CPR overflow and removing a section of the power cord channel so the tank will surface skim with the water level above the top of the glass. The CPR overflow and lines to the Phosban Reactor use the space where the RSM skimmer was. The return line from the sump goes through the chiller slot and the Phosban reactor also hangs in this slot.

I took the hood off to try to show the mods. Once I get it filled and stocked with live rock I'll post a picture with the hoods on.

I had to do a lot of work with the Dremel to get a inlet line to feed the Nanocube 6 and still fit the hood. I drilled a hole in the back glass of the Nanocube with the Dremel and have it draning into the shallow tank which then drains to the sump.

I have a 6 stage R.O. filter in the kitchen so have been spending the day filling jugs. Figure it will take 3 days to fill all 4 tanks at the rate it is going.

Since I now have a lot of space in the place where the skimmer originally went I need to decide whether to leave it open or to put live rock rubble in it. I've heard live rock rubble can be a real detrius trab so am leaning toward leaving the back chambers empty. I'd appreciate any info on the pro's and con's of empty chambers vs. live rock rubble.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

Re: My Goodness Brent F.

Quote:
Originally posted by NaCl+H2O Fish
Brent F.

Welcome.... and where have you been? Not that I claim to know everyone on this thread.... LOL!

May I ask the origin and reason behind all the MODS for your new RSM?

Reasoning behind the mods:

The ideas such as the surface skimming came from this board. I really like the look of the RSM but also know some of the pluses of using a sump so I bought the RSM and had a custom made sump tank built for inside the stand. I also knew I wanted better skimming so added a HOT skimmer behind the sump.

I want to keep some marginal reef safe invertebrates and some clams so decided to add on a shallow tank and decided on a Viper 70 watt metal halide because anything bigger would overheat the 15 gal 20X20X9 tank. I found this tank used locally and added the overflow box inside it – the prior owner had it hooked up to a canister filter.

I found the Nanocube 6 used and added it on because I want to keep a small frogfish which really needs to be in a specimen tank and thought this would be an ideal home for one.

I plumbed all three tanks into a shared sump for ease of maintenance and to share the skimmer. I also have an ATU system tied into the sump which I didn’t show in the pictures.

The Phosban Reactor is for Zeovit products and is hanging on the back so I can easily shake it every day. My tanks are too small for the plunger style Zeovit reactors so I’ll simply shake the small Two Little Fishes reactor instead of using a plunger.

Last edited by Brent F; 12/31/2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

OK! What you said!

Brent F -

I'm feeling that you will have a lot to contribute to us via this thread!

Since I understood about 10% of your explanation!!! ?

Welcome to the 'Best Place to Be!"
Old 12/31/2007, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

Really Enjoyed your RSM3 Video!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Y-DesygnGuy
[B]NaCl+H2O Fish -- Thanks! Yes that is a rock I put out away from the back wall with the intention to place mushrooms on it. I was reading about people making ricordea islands and mushroom gardens and knew I wanted something similar. So when I went to pick out my live rock for this tank, I looked for a piece I could make into an arch like that and had a nice side to cover! I think I can get about another 30-40 of them on the back side that rock if I tried!

The fish you are talking about is my Purple Fire Fish I believe. If had the money to spend I would of gotten a Hellfrics Firefish, but $150-$170 for a single fish is a bit much for me.

Kudos on the RSM3 video! Thanks for featuring the rock I mentioned...

Old 12/31/2007, 07:28 AM
Genuine reef addict

Brent F - Welcome to the Club and WOW! It sure makes sense doing all the mods in place before you get everything going. I'd never be able to figure out designing all that piping & engineering with my non-mechanical pea-brain, but congratulations! Does the skimmer sit on the floor, or in the sump - it looks like the water feed is plumbed in and out, and it's not in the sump? On the LR rubble, you may not even need it with the sump in place, and sufficient rock in the tanks to take care of the nitrogen cycle. Let us know how it goes!