Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 12/15/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Talking Downsized....My new 28 Gallon Nano SPS Build

I have not been on the sps forum in 2 months, also running tankless due to a move that took place back in November. I took a promotion and had to move quickly, so I broke down my 75 gallon sps bb tank and sold all livestock. I went tankless for about a month, and due to size limitations, and time itself, I wanted to design a small/ nano high tech sps tank as opposed to setting the 75 Gallon tank back up. This tank will be bb, and will use around 20lbs of tonga live rock. Salt will be Tropic Marin buffered with Oceans blend Magnesium. Once established, I will use a calcium reactor topped off with zeo-mag media to maintain stable CA/ALK/ MAG relationship. This tank will have tons of flow, approximately 4200 GPH or 150 times turnover. I have not decided on a fish list, or types of sps corals yet. I do however have my eye on a green milli colony at the LFS, and would like to have a green coris wrasse.

Here is a list of the items to be used:

*Solid Oak Cherry finish Stand
*28 Gallon Oceanic Bowfront
*15 Gallon Berlin Sump
*Mag 7 For Return Pump
*Euro-Reef CS6-3 Recirculating Mesh-modded Skimmer(Rated for
135 Gallons)
*Two Little Fishes Phosphate Reactor
*Milwaukee Ph Controller
*Schuran Pico Jetstream Calcium Reactor
*ATO Auto-top-off/ 10 Gallon AGA Tank for RO/DI
* 3X Tunze Nano Stream 6025 Modded Powerheads
*Coralvue Pendant w/ 250 watt Coralvue 20k DE HQI
*Coralvue 250 watt Electronic Ballast

Please feel free to provide feedback, comments, or advice concerning this tank. I am so excited to be back in the game!
Old 12/15/2007, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Pics of the Tank

Here are some pics of the tank and the lights. I used a metallic blue background on the back and bottom of the tank.

Old 12/15/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

I like how you ran the return under the over flow and center brace. Great Idea
Old 12/15/2007, 07:33 PM
w3rd

have you thought of replacing the black plastic brace with acrylic so you wont have a shadow from the lights?

subscribed
Old 12/15/2007, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nietzsche
have you thought of replacing the black plastic brace with acrylic so you wont have a shadow from the lights?

subscribed
No,
But that is a great idea, i am sure I could do it rather inexpensively. I lowered the light a bit though, and the shadow did reduce somewhat.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:52 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by plyle02
No,
But that is a great idea, i am sure I could do it rather inexpensively. I lowered the light a bit though, and the shadow did reduce somewhat.
sorry to hear about the downgrade- I'm also currently in the process of setting a nano.

good going.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Gasman.... You still have your large tank right? I wanted to make a nano that was well equipped to handle a sps. This tank is on roids.... lol.. Here are some pics after I plumbed, tucked wires, all the pain in the as* stuff... Here is the tank right before I started to fill with water.

Old 12/15/2007, 08:22 PM
Moved On

That is an awesome well thought out looking setup, great job!! Cant wait to see it running!!

-SAM
Old 12/15/2007, 09:14 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Thanks Gasman.... You still have your large tank right? I wanted to make a nano that was well equipped to handle a sps. This tank is on roids.... lol.. Here are some pics after I plumbed, tucked wires, all the pain in the as* stuff... Here is the tank right before I started to fill with water.

funny u mentioned that-yes I still have my 240.
And the 29 will also be on roids-the only way to go.
I'll be using some etss sump-proten system graded for a 120 as well as some tunzes and so forth.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:34 PM
w3rd

lol that tank is on roids. where did you get that stand from?
Old 12/16/2007, 06:50 AM
Island Jumper

Looks good I love nanos! I can't wait to see the finished masterpiece
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 12/16/2007, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nietzsche
lol that tank is on roids. where did you get that stand from?
I saw a 24 cube at PetCo, went to back to buy it and it was sold. I was looking around, and stumbled upon this 28 gallon w/ stand. It was not priced, come to find out that it was just returned. The young lady helping me quoted me 99.99 for the tank, and 99.99 for the stand. I think she screwed up on the pricing, so my good fortune. 200.00 total.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

Cycling...

Here are some updated pics. I am using Tropic Marin salt, and 2 pieces of tonga @ 19lbs total. This will be the structure of my reef, and no other large pieces will be added. My plan is to add only 3 stunning corals and let them grow out. I want simplicity, using a less is more approach to this tank. I have not finished cycling, I have been running for 6 days now, and have brown algae growing on the live rock. I am not going to add snails, maybe a few hermits, and an urchin. I have also not put the CA reactor or phosphate reactor in line yet. Here are some pics......

Old 12/21/2007, 12:21 AM
Premium Member

oops... wrong pic of the sump, here is the right one.....

Old 12/21/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

very nice setup, i don't think i've every seen a nano with that much equiptment before. i'm really excited to see how it turns out once you get some livestock in there. also, are you concerned about heat issues and how do you plan on taking care of it?
Old 12/21/2007, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregm5
very nice setup, i don't think i've every seen a nano with that much equiptment before. i'm really excited to see how it turns out once you get some livestock in there. also, are you concerned about heat issues and how do you plan on taking care of it?
So far so good, during lit hours, the tank stays under 81 degrees, so I think I will be alright, otherwise, I may get a small chiller. I have a celing fan in the same room that remains on. Also, I keep the sump 60% full, so the added water also helps. Thanks for the advice and complitment.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:47 AM
Chillin'

That center brace casts a horrible shadow! Sweet sump though.

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 12/21/2007, 02:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crrichey
That center brace casts a horrible shadow! Sweet sump though.
Yeah, I hear ya on the shadow, any advice on whether or not I could remove the brace? I would like to just cut it out, but not sure if the tank will bow or collapse. I may replace with acrylic. Thanks for the honesty.....lol
Old 12/21/2007, 04:00 AM
Premium Member

Here is another shot, I removed the center brace, and cut a piece of acrylic from a sheild for an old pc light I had. I drilled 2 holes on either end, and 2 holes in both ends of the old brace, and simply zip tied them together. This only took 30 minutes, and no more shadow. Here are a couple pics.....

Old 12/21/2007, 07:22 AM
TANK RAIDER!

very well done- and now for the critters.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

I think it is too much flow unless those nanostreams are on a wavemaker and 2 on at a time. I ran 100x flow in the my nano and the SPS grow was way too slow and compact but not in a good way. For example a green slimer which is suppose to grow like a stag formation only grow like a mat in a year. It's alot of base and little top growth.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

They say good things come in small packages. I didn't believe it but I'm looking forward to your progress on this one.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by StrategicReef
I think it is too much flow unless those nanostreams are on a wavemaker and 2 on at a time. I ran 100x flow in the my nano and the SPS grow was way too slow and compact but not in a good way. For example a green slimer which is suppose to grow like a stag formation only grow like a mat in a year. It's alot of base and little top growth.
I was thinking that 3 6025's modded might be a bit much as well, I can always pull one out if need be. I have them directed in a way that the flow to the center of the reef should be indirect. My goal is to alleviate any detritus from settling, which I think will be key in maintaining crystal clear water. I guess I will have to wait for now, no plans for corals for awhile. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:34 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
I was thinking that 3 6025's modded might be a bit much as well, I can always pull one out if need be. I have them directed in a way that the flow to the center of the reef should be indirect. My goal is to alleviate any detritus from settling, which I think will be key in maintaining crystal clear water. I guess I will have to wait for now, no plans for corals for awhile. Thanks for the feedback.
well yes and no in terms of the flow.

I'm setting a 29 sps only with two 6025 standard.
once the tank is setup- If u don't mind I will post some pics in this thread so we can share some ideas. I'm doing this a a gift.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
well yes and no in terms of the flow.

I'm setting a 29 sps only with two 6025 standard.
once the tank is setup- If u don't mind I will post some pics in this thread so we can share some ideas. I'm doing this a a gift.
No problem Gas... I would love to see the pics...