Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/08/2008, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Need a Really Good Skimmer for 125 Reef

Hi, I am upgrading my 90 reef to a 125 (6 feet long). I want an in sump skimmer that would really work well. I am looking for some overkill here as I feel my tanks have always been "under skimmed". My 90 has a Euroreef RC80. This skimmer works ok but I find the output varies to much with my sump water level. (I know auto top off) Plus, it is not really rated for a 125 gallon reef with a moderate load.

I was thinking about the AquaC EV-Series Protein Skimmer rated for 80-350 gallons. It runs off a Mag 12 pump which I already have. It also claims to be built well and operates the same at any sump level.

I want plug and play- I do not want something that needs a lot of tinkering. Just clean the cup every few days and an occasional total cleaning.

The skimmer needs to fit in a 10" by 10" sump area.

Anyone have any other ideas/experience? I have a budget of no more than say $400.

Thanks

Andrew
Old 01/08/2008, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

aqua c has some kick *** skimmers. my remora has never failed me. You could either get the remora pro and hang it on your sump or the urchin pro that goes in your sump. Both of those models are nice and compact and never need any adjusting. There are probably better skimmers out there, but they are usually too big for sump applications.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

How much $$ you want to spend ???
Old 01/09/2008, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

that euro-reef im sure is good i have one pulls nasty stuff out-make your sump to where your return comes in at the skimmer make some baffles, and your water will evaporate at the other end and your skimmer will work perfectly- Been there done that, i thought my skimmer sucked as well till i figured that out- Just my 2 cents
Old 01/09/2008, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

I bought a Bubble King Mini 180 for my 120g. I could not be happier. It really is a top notch unit, but its costly. Its foot size is 8.25" x 8.25" so it would fit in the space you need. Just a matter of how much you want to spend.

As Reefy1 stated, you will see a noticeable increase in skimming performance with a steady water level in your sump.