Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/21/2006, 06:36 AM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

How to remove mildew that was under tank stand?

I removed my tank stand yesterday and it revealed black mildew on the carpet from past floods. Any recommendations for cleaners to remove the mildew which won't damage the carpet? It's a synthetic berber.
Old 06/21/2006, 08:22 AM
The Original 6-line

I feel ur pain but cannot offer any absolute help...I have left a few rectangular mildew marks and was sick to my stomach...lets say it doesn't help much in getting your deposit back if you're renting!

If you're not obsessed, you're not doing it right...
Old 06/21/2006, 10:13 AM
Team RC Member

You might try a product called Spot Shot. You used to be able to get it at an Ace hardware.

If you can't find that, or if it won't get it, a wet-dry vac might help. Make up an extremely weak [eyedropper style] solution of Chlorox and soak a facecloth with it: hand- rub that in: when stain goes, flood it with water repeatedly and suck dry with the wet-vac.

Best of all, call some company like Stanley Steamer, and get them to clean the room. They have the means to get that stuff out. Pricey, a bit, but you'll be astonished at the result.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/21/2006, 11:06 AM
Carpe Noctem

Cheer w/ color safe bleach. Rinse well and use a shop vac to dry out.

Years ago when I cleaned carpets, a 1/4 cup of this stuff added to the normal carpet cleaning stuff, really took the grime out. Otherwise I would try commercial carpet cleaning products.
Old 06/21/2006, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

I would try either simple green or DD7 on your carpet. I have had great success with both and they did not bleach the carpet.