Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > North Central Pennsylvania Aquarium Reef Society (NCPARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 12:14 AM
SPS Captial of PA

Ncpars Spring Swap

The Board of Directors is currently working with the spring swap committee on the spring swap which is to be held in the PSU State College area.

The board had an AOL Chat last evening to discuss some of the things needed to be covered and planned.

We are going to be holding further chats as time goes on and anyone who is a member or is interested in becoming a member is welcome to join in.

Vendors are excluded from the chat and if they have any ideas they can email them directly to a board member or send a letter.
A further meeting in the near future may be held for vendors.

We will post our chats in advance here on RC at least 24 hours in advance. If you would like to be included in the invite please email me so I can also send you an email about the up coming chat.

My email is rickyfins@hotmail.com

Other things we are currently working on are Group buys, raffle donations, and much more. If you have any ideas on things we can do either post them here or email me at the above address.

Keep on Reefing!

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS.

President of NCPARS
Old 12/04/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

Feel free to send me an IM about the chats.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:39 AM
Professional Aquarist

When you have a date set, let me know so we can try to organize a group trip from Pittsburgh.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 12/17/2007, 12:05 PM
secretary of NCPARS

we should be able to post the date soon.we are working on that right now.thanks Dan
Old 12/17/2007, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Yes, we're figuring out the exact date now, we figured out last week which block of rooms we will be using at PSU, and just need to check on the university schedule.

For those of you who were here a few years ago, we'll be in the same building, but we are going to spread out a bit more. If everything goes according to plan, we are going to have a block of 4 lab rooms that are around a central hallway. (There is not one big room anywhere we can find that has access to water.) Each person/vendor will get space with a sink, so we are leaving more space than last time, I think there is something like 6' of counter space between sinks.

Assuming we have a speaker, there is a good-sized auditorium-style classroom just up some stairs where the speaker can have powerpoint, or whatever, and where we won't have people going in and out constantly (which is a big distraction to the speakers). Since people seeing the speaker will be away from their tanks, we will plan to have our volunteers keep watch over anything that people leave out.

There is a separate area off the main hallway where we will set up our food and where people can eat (PSU doesn't like food in the classrooms).

So, we have a lot of stuff set, just not the date! We are looking probably at late March or mid to late April; we just need to work around end-of-semester lab schedules (we don't want some poor kid to fail their chem course because we took over the labs at a bad time). Hopefully we are going to know that in just a day or two.

-- Scott
Old 12/21/2007, 10:41 AM
secretary of NCPARS

thanks scott,this sound like it is going to be a great time.i am looking foward to this swap.the donations from sponsors are coming in so the raffles should be good.

Dan
Old 12/21/2007, 07:15 PM
SPS Captial of PA

I know Carl is also working on group buys for members for the coming year. We hope to have 1 group buy per month as a benefit of being a member of NCPARS. Hopefully we can start these either in Jan or early Feb! This way if it is all shipped to one address the club can bring it to the swap! Paypal will be setup shortly for this purpose.(Mary)

We should be debuting some new features to our members as well. A new website should be in the works and operational by the spring swap! So hang in there guys, its coming along.

Keep checking back as we hope to post more stuff on spring as they become available.

Rick

President of NCPARS
Old 12/21/2007, 09:46 PM
SPS Captial of PA

I just got done talking with Kelly from SeaTreasures. They plan on attending the swap, they will probably be setting something up for their live goods.

This is a nice start to our vendors list! They have also assured us of a donation for sponsorship! They will be giving us the donation at the swap!

I look forward to seeing them in spring! They always have nice stuff for sale.

Rick

President of NCPARS