Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Depressing day at old orchard

Well, i'll start with.... Hmm....

I went into the store looking for a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp, no pistol but there was a watchman. When i found the really good looking, sharp colors, fins erected goby, i looked for the manager who i normally do business with since he doesnt cheat me (at least so far) he knows i know stuff, and i know that he knows stuff.... Plus he gives me discounts. Anyway i couldnt find him. Then this new employee guy came up asking are we interested in anything blah blah blah (hes new because on the email club coupon last month it said looking for employees, and ive never seen him before) anyway i asked for the watchman, i knew they cost 30 bucks but i asked him anyway, he got confused with a clown goby and said they were 17 dollars. So i said i would take it seeing that its cheap and healthy. Well this is where the depressing parts (yes it is plural) things happen. First, i find out the guy knows nothing about aquariums, since the goby was in a 3 gallon pico, the guy walks to this random saltwater tank and is about to use that water for the fish and bagging etc, he didnt even compare temperature nor salinity. I saw that and he was about to catch the fish and i stopped him saying, i dont feel comfortable with you using another tanks water, if you are, then i wont be interested in the fish. So he makes up an excuse saying that the pico doesnt have much water in it and he doesnt want to refill it etc. I didnt change my mind and i said, well, if you dont use the water that its already swimming in, i dont want it. So in the end he dumped the water out and was just about to do what i asked him to when..... the goby jumped out. Landed behind another tanks stand onto a pile of saltcreep. Took us a while to get it, by that time it was dead. So a perfectly good goby that was half price committed suicide and went carpet surfing, or, salt creep surfing....

Well the stores taken a bad turn, i think the old manager, who knows stuff, quit since i havent seen him in a long time and i go to that store a lot....

So im still looking for a goby and pistol and i guess i wont be getting them there with those new stupid employees.
Old 10/27/2007, 03:25 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Did I read that right? Did you try to rip off the store by getting the fish for less because of an employee's mistake?

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 10/27/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

yes i did, considering that the employee didnt know anything, and considering my mom would have been angry at me for correcting him since she is the one paying (its happened before)
Old 10/27/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

the fish jumping was karma
Old 10/27/2007, 03:31 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Quote:
Originally posted by kawicivic
the fish jumping was karma
Exactly. And so is the treatment you are going to get next time you go there looking for a decent deal after they read you boasting about trying to take advantage of them.

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 10/27/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

well, as i said before, im not going back. I used to love that place with its old employees, they got new ones now, and they all dont know what they were talking about, last time i was there they did the old "its just sleeping" thing to a dead wrasse, i caught one guy too lazy get a smaller net so he used his hands, even though hands were probably harder. They did the "whats a fishless cycle? theres no such thing" to a new customer before.

That was all in the last three times ive been there, today was the end, im not interested in buying at their store anymore.

And i wouldnt call it boasting, i wasnt going on talking about how cool it was that i could get it half priced. Im complaining about they're employees, how they are lazy and uneducated, not saying how sleek i am. Who knows, maybe its just a makes me sleep better at night thing. If they make a mistake and i save money, i take it, its how i role.

A. to lazy to check the actual price
B. to lazy to use water from the pico
C. To lazy to refil the pico with water

In case you havent noticed, i dont care if i save some cash at his mistake.

Last edited by Musho3210; 10/27/2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10/27/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Roll not role.....
Old 10/27/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveBien
Roll not role.....
you better know your role...
Old 10/27/2007, 11:00 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Wow. So much I want to say, but I think it would be best if I didn't.
Old 10/28/2007, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveBien
Roll not role.....
How about the punctuation?

Click on the little red house to see my parameters.
Old 10/28/2007, 09:15 AM
g l a s s b o x

people boast that they get incorrectly priced fish at petco, but then the comments are "nice score"...why is this different? the employee made a mistake and told him the price.

it's funny how one persons posts are interpreted completely different from other more "popular" members. clean out your own backyard and give the kid a break.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 10/28/2007, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

I don't think the grammar or punctuation is as much of an issue as the fact that within the same post that states that an individual is willing to deal with a store manager because "he doesnt cheat me," the same individual is willing to let the store make a mistake and give a 43% markdown. If the OP made a mistake and handed the clerk 3 $20 bills instead of 3 $10 bills would it be OK for the clerk to take it because hey "the customer didn't know what he was doing?" - I was going to let this go after I saw Engine 7 properly address it but for some reason I can't.

"In case you havent noticed, i dont care if i save some cash at his mistake"

I guess no one on this board should care if you make mistakes either then. I thought the idea of this community was to help each other (including the LFSs!) not brag about taking advantage.

OK I'm getting off my soap box. I'm going to go turn down the lights and take a NTG tablet.
Old 10/28/2007, 09:24 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Old 10/28/2007, 10:02 AM
CMAS Member!

Well seid(sp. ) Wolf pup!!!
Old 10/28/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

it's funny how one persons posts are interpreted completely different from other more "popular" members. clean out your own backyard and give the kid a break.

could not agree anymore eric the double standard around here is mind blowing
Old 10/28/2007, 10:05 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Quote:
Originally posted by Kmiec123
Well seid(sp. ) Wolf pup!!!
And Freed!!! Dont forget Freed!!!

Old 10/28/2007, 10:07 AM
CMAS Member!

Old 10/28/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
Exactly. And so is the treatment you are going to get next time you go there looking for a decent deal after they read you boasting about trying to take advantage of them.
and them reading this thread would be the best thing for them! might be a wake up call for one and for two they would of at least made their money back on the fish but nothing extra so they really would not be out anything that fish whole sale is only around $15
Old 10/28/2007, 10:15 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

That doesnt make it right though. We are all supposed to help each other out here, the members and sponsers of CMAS.
Dishonesty isnt the answer to making a point.

Old 10/28/2007, 10:33 AM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
people boast that they get incorrectly priced fish at petco, but then the comments are "nice score"...why is this different? the employee made a mistake and told him the price.

I am not going to give the kid a break. I have never condoned taking advantage of a new employee. God forbid the customer share his/her knowledge instead of taking advantage of it.

To me, I wouldn't care who made this post, and what the store was, I am going to have the same reaction. My backyard is very clean, thank you.
Old 10/28/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

its sad the fish died more than anything to me:-(

Dishonesty isnt the answer to making a point.

why is he dishonest? he asked the price and was told $17 even if it was marked for $30 and they say $17 i doubt anyone on here would say but its marked for $30 why the deal! this worker might now more than we been lead to believe here! it obvious his mind was else where at the time. its no different than buying a car do you pay sticker price every new car you buy?
no you haggle right? i bet if the thread was titled i went to best buy and bought a $3000 lcd tv and the employee grabbed the wrong sticker and charged me $1000 people would be saying nice score! that would be dishonest but most would walk away laughing but because its a fish store he's a jerk little kid not fair or right to say that
its good though to see the amish are allowed computers these days though :-)
Old 10/28/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

you guys need to move on.. i seriously doubt others havent been in that situatioin in their younger days and that hasn't happened to them..

yes dishonest is wrong and is taught to our children.. i believe the poster mentioned "mom"

opps... i got suckered in on this..
Old 10/28/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

one more thing and im done
not one of you cared the fish died just that it was going to sold for $15 less than mabe mabe not marked that is the sad part of this thread
Old 10/28/2007, 10:50 AM
CMAS Member!

Lets all take a moment of silence for the poor little dead fishy......better yet, let's make it a lifetime of silence in this thread.
Old 10/28/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

i distinctly remember a post about petco, and how someone said that they sometimes mislabel some damsel as some other rare psuedochromis or something. Not one person thought that was wrong. Too bad search isnt working....

Im still surprised at people saying i was boasting, did you guys finish reading my op? Its about a store going bad and a dead fish, the saving cash wasnt my main point.