Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

lmao
Old 10/29/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

those who talk about poor service in the local pet shops should be thankful they don't have it that bad.....
Old 10/29/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

and that happen to you for real or its a joke right
Old 10/29/2007, 05:41 PM
Male Gigolo

How many people buy something form Home Depot, Lowes, Menards? Why not buy from a local hardware store that isn't a major chain? Don't you want to support them? They have families to feed...

What about Best Buy and Circuit City? Don't you want to support your local computer store? They have families too...

No one is going to go back to Jewel and pay for the pack of gum the girl at the register forgot to ring up.

Guess what, I have a mouth to feed too. And if I can save a lot of money buy buying my equipment somewhere cheaper. I will, and I shouldn't have to hear ****e about it. Some LFS jack up their prices so high its ridiculous. A store just down the street from me Upscale Aquatics has such absurd prices I won't walk in the store again.

You can aruge all you want about how they need to jack up prices to make a living. Bottom line, sometimes its just ridiculous. Do I support some of my LFS? Absolutely, but I can only go so far.

Quote:
Originally posted by Steverino
So stealing is OK from certain people, but not from others? It is OK to steal from the 'rich' or from a store, but not from an individual? In other words, there are two standards on what is cheating, it depends not on what you do, but who the victim is?

True colors are flying.
Who is stealing? He was quoted a price by an employee. I don't get whats so hard to understand about this. What about that same store jacking up fish prices 3x what the fish should be? I guess thats ok because *they have to provide for their family*.

How many people here take advantage of a misprint in a PetCo ad? Hmm? I know I have seen that happen on more then once occasion here.

Quote:
Originally posted by IRONHIDE
how about you did not pay attention at the register handed your cash/card over got charged and went home and realized you got over charged would come back and gripe about it? of course you would it's a one sided deal with you guys,how about they removed the sticker and it was trashed but you argue it was this price and they say not,you guys would be on here so fast about how you got ripped,but you guys want a break when you guys pull one, come on, keep swindling your local shops you wont have any left
but thats me and my poinion
So because someone would complain about being lied to about a price, then over charged its a one sided deal? Thats a horrible analogy.

If I was told a price by an employee, went to the register and the owner informed me that the employee had mad a mistake and quoted me the wrong price I would either A) buy the fish at the correct price, or if it was more then I was willing to spend not buy it.

Thats more akin to this situation. Maybe the fish was on sale and it wasn't marked? Maybe the employee was just being nice and giving a deal. I work at a LFS and not all of the same fish are always the same price. Some fish are more then others. One purple tang maybe less then the next, or more.

You are all missing the major point here, the *employee* told him how much it was. If the employee had told him it was $30 and then went to the register and told the person there that the employee had said $15, THEN he would be lying and ripping him off.

Quote:
Originally posted by kawicivic
Ironhide has some great points... If you look around at local stores you will see the numbers dwindling because nobody is willing to pay for quality service anymore.
How many quality stores are there? Not that many, and those are the ones that stay around. And there is a reason for that.

Quote:
Originally posted by bignick
So yes i f i walked into a LFS that i didn't normally frequent and didn't have any kind of history with the owner or employees i would keep my mouth shut and walk out the door with my 1/2 priced fish. The only time i would question it is if i was in good with the owner and i was taken care of at the LFS. In that case i usually try and take care of that LFS. Matt you know what i'm talking about too.

One hand Washes the other.
Exactly, especially a store that has outrageous prices.

Quote:
Originally posted by Steverino
Little Squid: If you know the price is wrong, but you make yourself feel justified by asking the new dumb employee who doesn't know, it is still cheating. If you are right, then ask the manager, not the dumb employee. In the end, you are 'pulling one over on them", so how can you feel that is not cheating?

How is this different: Walk up to your neighbors 3 year old kid and ask him if you can have Daddys new car. The little kid says "Yes". So are you justified in taking the car, because a member of their family said you could?

As for the store, it is NOT the same thing. They are advertising a price, whether it be 300% or 1% over their cost, whatever the number, and you can buy it or not. It is not cheating if they charge you what they advertise. It is your option to go somewhere else. Is it bad business on their part? Maybe. Is it good long-term for them? Probably not. But if you pay the 300% inflated price, it is not them cheating, it is you being a suckah! Take your business elsewhere. A store can charge what they want. It is not cheating to charge $15 for a pet rock.

Why is it his job to run the store? Why should he have to chase down a manager to find the price of a product/livestock when he was already told the price. Why is that his job?

If my neighbor put his 3yr old kid in charge of selling his car, I would have no problem taking the car. His mistake, not mine. They guy should be upset with his kid, not the buyer.

So if they advertise the fish for $30 its ok, but when an *employee* of the store tells you its $30 its wrong? So theym jacking up the price on a fish, just because they know someone is going to come in, that doesn't know any better, is ok?

Total BS. And very hypocritical. They knowingly jack up the price, knowing that some poor schmuck is going to come and buy it. Do they care? No.
Old 10/29/2007, 05:52 PM
OT Slaughter House

Time to start drinking, looks like it's gonna be a long night!

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 10/29/2007, 05:56 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Quote:
No one is going to go back to Jewel and pay for the pack of gum the girl at the register forgot to ring up.
Speak for yourself. That lost $$$ has to come out of the cashier's pocket.
Old 10/29/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aiko670
Time to start drinking, looks like it's gonna be a long night!
heheh
Old 10/29/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

sellout007
i dought jeff or brian would appreciate if one of his employees sold a fish at lower price then marked without consulting them,even if you gave a price out and did know it had gone up or was just added to the tanks,your the employee after all ,if you told me one price and he said another i really dought jeff or brian would give the lower price,i have been there spent thousands with them it took me to spend well over $3000 to even get a discount on anything,but when i was there the fish where popped eyed,or having bouyancy issues,hence the reason i no longer shop there
and your shop is an exeption to the rule of staying in or out of business there are 3 stores under one roof,fish,birds,reptiles

do i support my local hardware store? yes ,do i go to a local computer store? there are none in my area,so i have to go to micro center i wont touch a best buy or circuit city,
i have payed for gum that did not get ring up when my kids grab them without me knowing,
i have mouths to feed too, but i am no snake i dont shop at aldi because i prefer to shop at the better store that has fresher foods i pay the price for the foods,but i do not go in thinking i can pull one over,
has nothing to do with the cost of the fish rather the fact that he was taking advantage of the fact of a new employee does know fish and prices,price jacking is another issue
Old 10/29/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
Did I read that right? Did you try to rip off the store by getting the fish for less because of an employee's mistake?
and

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
Exactly. And so is the treatment you are going to get next time you go there looking for a decent deal after they read you boasting about trying to take advantage of them.
An employee telling him the price of a fish does not equate to him trying to rip the store off. He asked how much and was told the price. End of story.

So anytime someone gets a good deal, they are ripping someone off?

This thread seem to sway from these first posts which were irrelvent to the poster's intent.
Old 10/29/2007, 06:45 PM
Male Gigolo

Quote:
Originally posted by IRONHIDE
sellout007
i dought jeff or brian would appreciate if one of his employees sold a fish at lower price then marked without consulting them,even if you gave a price out and did know it had gone up or was just added to the tanks,your the employee after all ,if you told me one price and he said another i really dought jeff or brian would give the lower price,i have been there spent thousands with them it took me to spend well over $3000 to even get a discount on anything,but when i was there the fish where popped eyed,or having bouyancy issues,hence the reason i no longer shop there
and your shop is an exeption to the rule of staying in or out of business there are 3 stores under one roof,fish,birds,reptiles

do i support my local hardware store? yes ,do i go to a local computer store? there are none in my area,so i have to go to micro center i wont touch a best buy or circuit city,
i have payed for gum that did not get ring up when my kids grab them without me knowing,
i have mouths to feed too, but i am no snake i dont shop at aldi because i prefer to shop at the better store that has fresher foods i pay the price for the foods,but i do not go in thinking i can pull one over,
has nothing to do with the cost of the fish rather the fact that he was taking advantage of the fact of a new employee does know fish and prices,price jacking is another issue

1) Jeff/Brian would be ****ed at *me* not the customer.
2) They would most likely correct the price and let the customer know that the employee made a mistake.
3) The customer then could either buy the item at the corrected price, or not buy it.

Its pretty simple. Im not sure what you were trying to prove here. Im sure if the thread started got to the register (provided that the employee didn't kill the fish) and was rung up for $30 he wouldn't have said a word or complained.

Im sorry, but it really sounds like your just tooting your own horn here. And I will not believe anyone here who says they have never been in a similar situation like the TS and not done the same thing. Whether it be a pack of gum, a fish, groceries whatever.

Lets be clear, the TS didn't go into the store trying to cheat or decieve anyone. He asked the price of a fish, and was given a price. Period. The *employee* told him a number. Under no circumstances is he to blame for the price of that fish.

Someone is not a sanke, simply because they were told a price and accepted it.
Old 10/29/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Who do I owe for years of hitchikers?My conscience is kicking in! BTW Pufferpunk,congrats,I've got 15 years in,keep it up!! Anyhow,my Karma ran over yer Dogma.
Old 10/29/2007, 06:48 PM
Male Gigolo

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
Speak for yourself. That lost $$$ has to come out of the cashier's pocket.

It wouldn't come out of her pocket as the store would have no clue it was missing. Sorry.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Whats that I smell? Thread of the month? Oh no thats just the stench of a crappy thread thats been lingering too long. It's nice to know that RC not only provides me with knowledge, but can be my moral compass too. Thanks everybody!
Old 10/29/2007, 07:07 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Thanks John, after only 9 years I've still got kittykarma.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:23 PM
OT Slaughter House

Quote:
Originally posted by makdoogle
Whats that I smell? Thread of the month? Oh no thats just the stench of a crappy thread thats been lingering too long. It's nice to know that RC not only provides me with knowledge, but can be my moral compass too. Thanks everybody!
Wow!

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Musho3210
How many here talk the talk but wont walk the walk? Put yourself in my position at a petco store. What would you do. Think long and hard, forget about everything that was said at this thread by everyone, forget that this has happened to other people. Put yourself in other peoples shoes. Then think of what you would do. No need to tell me the answer, just tell yourself. It could be you are well mannered and correct the employee by paying extra. Or you could save a few bucks at a bad employees mistake.
I am by no means perfect and, at 44 years old, I have been around much longer than you and have done far worse over my years than chisel a fish store over a mismark. But, I will say, for many years, I have lived my life by doing the right thing whenever possible. Many years ago I came to a conclussion that there is a value to my honor and I will not sacrfice my honor for $5 or $10. I have much more pride in myself to rip someone off for $100 or $1000. I will return to a store and return money if a clerk gave me too much change or forgot to charge me for an item. I will question a store clerk or a waiter/tress when I think that I am being undercharged. Does this make me better than everyone else? No. But it does give me a sense of personal honor and without honor, in my ever-so-humble opinion, you are worthless.

p.s. To date, I have never discovered the $$ level at which I no longer value my honor.

Jim

170 gal curved glass
Solaris H4
AE400
ACIII Pro
Turf Scrubber
LiterMeterIII
Nanostream 6055
LifeReef LCR1
Old 10/29/2007, 07:36 PM
OT Slaughter House

Quote:
Originally posted by jglackin
p.s. To date, I have never discovered the $$ level at which I no longer value my honor.
We all have one...

Now with that said it's time for me to break out the prescriptions.....

Wow, page four and hasn't gotten shut down.... Unbelievable.....

Old 10/29/2007, 07:39 PM
Frag-a-holic

Jim, hows about if they accidentally sent you a spare Solaris?

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 10/29/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
BTW, did they even try to put the fish back into the water? It might not have really been dead...
nope, other employees came trying to see what happened, the guy took it out of the salt, it wasnt moving, threw it away.

Im not going to garuntee a change, but after seeing everyones views, it seems my views arent good. Being a highschool student, you need to learn to.... blend in, change your ways to prevent bullying in school or to prevent bashing in forums. Its no different. So, if you dont get the jist of this post, if it offends so many people, and it gives me a bad rep, i can change.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:48 PM
Male Gigolo

Sissy o)
Old 10/29/2007, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
Jim, hows about if they accidentally sent you a spare Solaris?
That would take a second thought, but, in the end, I would fess up.

Jim

170 gal curved glass
Solaris H4
AE400
ACIII Pro
Turf Scrubber
LiterMeterIII
Nanostream 6055
LifeReef LCR1
Old 10/29/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

whats the point in continuing the argument sellout? Weve all said what we wanted to say. I know you were probably just joking around (im not boring ) but just in case....
Old 10/29/2007, 07:55 PM
Male Gigolo

Just joshing with ya.

I don't think you did anything wrong, so I don't think you should change your tune. But your right, were all just reiterating the same horse poop. o)
Old 10/29/2007, 08:12 PM
OT GODFATHER

How does that old saying go????

Fighting on the Internet is like...............
I can honestly say all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly attributed to drugs & alcohol. I mean I would never urinate at the Alamo at 9 o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober. -Ozzy Osbourne
Old 10/29/2007, 08:13 PM
OT Slaughter House

Quote:
Originally posted by craftytony
How does that old saying go????

Fighting on the Internet is like...............
Go on....