Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by craftytony
*Tonya walks over to Musho3210 and gives him a big hug*
but what was the real reason lmao j/k
Old 10/29/2007, 10:09 AM
OT GODFATHER

I like mashed pataters....ughhh huh......
I can honestly say all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly attributed to drugs & alcohol. I mean I would never urinate at the Alamo at 9 o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober. -Ozzy Osbourne
Old 10/29/2007, 11:34 AM
Pufferkrazy!

I just wanted to say, that as a recovering addict of 9 years, I'm still learning about honesty. It's a huge part of my program. All my life I was looking for a good "deal". That certainly backfired in sooooo many ways. You get back what you put out there & I got it back bad...

I was at my LFS, where the owners always give me stuff for less & let me catch my own fish & bag my own blackworms (so I don't get a bunch of dead ones). I know which employe dosn't really care about prices & a lot of their fish/corals aren't marked. This guy will tell me to name my own price sometimes. I have brought fish home & the next day see it for way more than I paid because of this guy. How can I screw the owners that have treated me so well, for $15, when they have probably saved me hundreds over the past 20 years? I go back & pay the $15. These people are runnning a business & need to feed their families & for 20 years, have really treated me well.

On the other hand, Musho is still young. At his age (& up to when I learned how important honesty really is in my life), I took everything I could get, thinking I was putting one over on "them". It's great that maybe Musho is learning now, at such a young age, how important honesty is & that there is no such thing as a "free ride". When they say "what goes around, comes around", is to true! I can't tell you how many really great things, including free stuff, comes my way (like WWM taking me to dive in the Red Sea), when I lead a honest life. But again--I'm still learning... I have to check myself at the end of every day & make amends for anything I've done wrong that day. Sometimes it still needs to be pointed out to me though & I really appreciate the folks in my life that have the guts to honestly take my inventory. That's what I hope is happening here with Musho.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

I shop in LFSs both in Chicago and KC. Here in KC, I have been frequenting an LFS that is more of a neighborhood store. I know their prices are a bit high, but I am willing to pay a bit more and get very knowlegable service and REAL customer care. They treat me with respect whether I am just buying 5 gals of RO or a $100 dollar pump.

As an example of an LFS that cares for pets, here is what they did. They had a pair of Border Collies that were bred locally. They had been at the store a bit beyond the ideal period. They were going on 16 weeks. The owner knew I loved the breed and gave me the dog because he was more concerned with that dog getting into a good home than the $600. Now that is a LFS that will continue to get my business, because I know they truly care. Sure it is a business and they are there to make money, but there is a time when the community needs to care about the well being of the pets.

The OP was going to get a deal on a fish, and the employee was undertrained. It is the LFS responsibility to properly train their employees and/or be willing to lose customers due to the learning curve. There is a lot to learn in this hobby, and even more variables, not to mention having to sell to all of us "experts" that walk in the door. The fact is, this employee makes very little money, and all I can be sure of is, all he learned from the OPs posting is a fish died. He is almost as untrained after that experience as he was to begin with. It wasnt Mushos job to train him... but as a community we should be mindful that we like to go to LFSs and if we keep on taking advantage of them, all we will have is online... then, you will never know who is handling your Goby, how they treated it, what drugs they put in the water, or where the water came from.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

I too feel that if a store bends like that for you i would go out of my way to get whatever i need through them before ever going online or anywhere else to get what i need.

Just because they say you can't do it doesn't mean you can't prove them wrong.
Old 10/29/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

mushos guess after all thats been said this is what i would do:
1. you said you are close to the owner right?
2. go into the store and explain what happened if they have yet to read this post
3. say next time this employee could screw you out of hundreds if lets say they had a dragon eel and he sold it as a snow flake nice score lol
4. rethinking this a bit more if they have always been good to you like you said then you might owe it to the owner to explain what happened. i only say that cause if it was me and i walked into a blind store and that happened great good score but say i went to rods and got 2 clowns knowing they were $50 each and he was hung over lol and charged me $15 each i would feel bad and correct it but not the ladder.
4. anything you buy in life cars,furniture, ect all prices can be haggled period
Old 10/29/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Wink

'Steal from the rich, Give to the poor'

Who knows maybe the fish was on sale anyways.

Last edited by spider86; 10/29/2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10/29/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

So stealing is OK from certain people, but not from others? It is OK to steal from the 'rich' or from a store, but not from an individual? In other words, there are two standards on what is cheating, it depends not on what you do, but who the victim is?

How does that quote go? "Whoever can be trusted with little can be trusted with much. And whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much".

True colors are flying.
Old 10/29/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

I see it as being no different than a store owner selling a piece of equipment to someone that doesn't need it just to make a sale on a high priced item. We've all seen it happen to somebody at one fish store or another. People are in this world to make money and save money.

Just because they say you can't do it doesn't mean you can't prove them wrong.
Old 10/29/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

stealing is putting something in your pocket and walking away with out payment!
knowing a price and asking the price and get it lower than marked is not stealing.
and why i would confront the owner and explain what happened

True colors are flying
wish that was true cause we wouldnt be on page 3 now
Old 10/29/2007, 01:25 PM
Pufferkrazy!

There was a sale at SeaSchor, where the more you bought, the better the freebie. I had thought I was done shopping & they bagged up my free hermit crabs. I decided to buy more stuff & they never put the crabs back for the better freebie (probably forgot they had bagged them). I checked the bags in my car before I took off & saw the crabs in there. I thought for a second about taking off with them but it just wasn't worth the feeling of guilt I would have over that, so I brought them back to Steve. He was so shocked someone would do that, he let me keep them--guilt-free! I do believe I would have "stole" those crabs.
Old 10/29/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

In other words, there are two standards on what is cheating, it depends not on what you do, but who the victim is?

is it not the same when a store marks up a item 300% but you being friends with them you walk in and get it for 100% over cost or at cost but a stranger behind you pays the 300%? its all the same
Old 10/29/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by little_squid
In other words, there are two standards on what is cheating, it depends not on what you do, but who the victim is?

is it not the same when a store marks up a item 300% but you being friends with them you walk in and get it for 100% over cost or at cost but a stranger behind you pays the 300%? its all the same
Exactly!!
Old 10/29/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
There was a sale at SeaSchor, where the more you bought, the better the freebie. I had thought I was done shopping & they bagged up my free hermit crabs. I decided to buy more stuff & they never put the crabs back for the better freebie (probably forgot they had bagged them). I checked the bags in my car before I took off & saw the crabs in there. I thought for a second about taking off with them but it just wasn't worth the feeling of guilt I would have over that, so I brought them back to Steve. He was so shocked someone would do that, he let me keep them--guilt-free! I do believe I would have "stole" those crabs.
puffer i must ask what if that was a petco? and you didnt know steve
Old 10/29/2007, 01:53 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I do believe that stores reward for loyalty. In my case, I hadn't been to SeaSchor often but was rewarded for honesty. I actually didn't really like Steve much before that, as I found him to be standoffish & sold me things I didn't think would do well in my tank. I return the wrong change at Jewel too.

If I continue to do wrong, feeling justified, I am living an addicts attitude. I'm 1 step from using again. I try to do the "next right thing" in life. I know it's the only way I can stay clean. Then I am rewarded by God/kharma/the powers that be, with good things coming back to me. I am guided by my concience, which I feel is how God communicates to me. All I know is when I only looked out for #1 & tried to get what I thought was coming to me, I got it back in spades & it wasn't good.

Last edited by Pufferpunk; 10/29/2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10/29/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Little Squid: If you know the price is wrong, but you make yourself feel justified by asking the new dumb employee who doesn't know, it is still cheating. If you are right, then ask the manager, not the dumb employee. In the end, you are 'pulling one over on them", so how can you feel that is not cheating?

How is this different: Walk up to your neighbors 3 year old kid and ask him if you can have Daddys new car. The little kid says "Yes". So are you justified in taking the car, because a member of their family said you could?

As for the store, it is NOT the same thing. They are advertising a price, whether it be 300% or 1% over their cost, whatever the number, and you can buy it or not. It is not cheating if they charge you what they advertise. It is your option to go somewhere else. Is it bad business on their part? Maybe. Is it good long-term for them? Probably not. But if you pay the 300% inflated price, it is not them cheating, it is you being a suckah! Take your business elsewhere. A store can charge what they want. It is not cheating to charge $15 for a pet rock.
Old 10/29/2007, 02:15 PM
OT GODFATHER

“I would like to make a toast to lying, stealing, cheating and drinking. If you're going to lie, lie for a friend. If you're going to steal, steal a heart. If your going to cheat, cheat death. And if you're going to drink, drink with me.”
I can honestly say all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly attributed to drugs & alcohol. I mean I would never urinate at the Alamo at 9 o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober. -Ozzy Osbourne
Old 10/29/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Cheers!

and Amen. Put it to rest. We all have to deal with honesty within ourselves. Trying to convince others what is right when they have chosen their ways is futile.
Old 10/29/2007, 02:17 PM
Pufferkrazy!

See, now Tony's trying to get me to drink!
Old 10/29/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

im drinking one for the fish lmao
Old 10/29/2007, 02:58 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Awwww... poor fishy, what did it ever do to deserve bad kharma?
Old 10/29/2007, 02:59 PM
OT Slaughter House

I drink cause I like it... I never understood drinking games.... Who needs a game to get drunk.....Waiting your turn just wastes time....

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 10/29/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
Awwww... poor fishy, what did it ever do to deserve bad kharma?
wouldnt you jump being under sold heheheh but then to put salt in the wounds ouch
or the fish seen the little girl in nemo shaking the bag and said the hell with it lolol
Old 10/29/2007, 04:27 PM
Pufferkrazy!

BTW, did they even try to put the fish back into the water? It might not have really been dead...
Old 10/29/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Last time I was in a pet shop, I pointed out a dead parrot (a Norwegian Blue with beautiful plumage), they told me it was sleeping, then they said it was just pining for the fjords.
My story was written up in the news, here's the transcript.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~ebarnes/py...ead-parrot.htm

http://www.coder.com/daniel/fjords.html

Last edited by Steverino; 10/29/2007 at 04:41 PM.