Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

I dont know exactly what happened but if it were me I would ask something like "isnt that a watchman?" which would have given him a chance to correct his mistake. If the guy was ignorant and argued then I would have walked away laughing (with a new cheap fish). Do I look down on the kid for trying to get a good deal? no, but at the same time the fact that it didn't work out doesn't disappoint me.
Old 10/28/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Everyone, lets all remember that we were young and made mistakes once too. While I hope musho knows that next time something like that happens, the right thing to do is correct the employee, lets not jump all over him without remembering that he was doing the rignt thing in regards to trying to get the employee to bag the fish correctly. If an LFS employee is just dropping fish into water to which they havent been acclimated, that is a practice that could lead to many dead fish, and there are far too many customers who would let their urge to buy what they want get in the way of common sense (think about the people who just have to have that pretty yellow tang for their nano). Refusing to buy the fish unlessly it was properly cared for was a good thing, and no they don't cancel out, but like I said - lets all we remember we were younger once, and sometimes whats important is not whether you made a mistake, its whether you learned from your mistake so you dont make it again.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 10/28/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Confused, uneducated, untrained employees are everywhere. This has happened to me at so many stores over the years that I couldn't begin to count them. Some people will take advantage of the situation and some won't. Each person has their own honesty curve they alone have to live with. This is also part of retail in general. It's sad the fish died, it's sad the employee maybe wasn't as educated or trained as he could of been, and it's sad to write off Old Orchard Aquarium. It's a good store with (mostly) helpful people.
Old 10/28/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

its really not a big deal. i got two black oscelaris from petco for 30 bucks because the guy said that they were maroon clowns. i buy stuff from ebay, craigslist, maxwell st, and swaporama know very well its probably stolen stuff. i know im going to hell.
Old 10/28/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

here's one .. how many out there if they found a winning megamillions ticket would place an ad in the paper stating they didnt buy it and would like to return it to the owner..

opps... are we off topic again..

i say close this thread and let the kid have peace..
Old 10/28/2007, 04:01 PM
Moved On

agreed.
Old 10/28/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

I agree, give the kid a break--it happens and it's the stores fault as much as his for not training their employees properly. Also, it's not some grand amount anyway, it's few bucks so big deal.

I remember a thread awhile back about Aqurium Adventure and someone did something very similar to this and I don't remember a single person taking a negative attitude towards them.
Old 10/28/2007, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Maybe the fish was marked down in price but not posted. (Not likely at Old Orchard!). I have been to Old Orchard and have not really been pleased with them at all. I know a couple of the employees, and they are decent folk. But I have received plenty of poor attitude from managers or owners there, or whatever their ROLE was. And so much of their stuff is overpriced. They don't really seem to keen on keeping a lot of customers happy. Or maybe it is just me ( I do tend to bring out the worst in people )

I have seen other stores have a "sale" which involved changing the regular price to the same price but written in red ink (or whatever the color of the week was). That store too has a reputation of being cold to customers.

If a customer wants water from the same tank the fish is kept in, then the employee should be happy to do it for him. Especially at a place like Old Orchard, which seems to think it offers "premium service." I mean, really, I can get treated like **** a lot closer to home.

Yes it is a shame the fish died. It traveled all the way around the world so it can jump out of a tank and land in a pile of salt.

Take it easy on the kid, he was just telling a story. Let's not judge lest ye be judged thyselves, because we have nothing to fear but fear itself.
Old 10/28/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

in closing... there are many out there that would have not even felt bad about the fish dying.. but yet this kid does and he is condemed otherwise...

did i spell that right..

by the way off topic .. anyone need some cheato.. i have more i need to get rid off.. it free so no $ issues to talk about
Old 10/28/2007, 05:04 PM
Professional Obfuscator

...condemned...
Old 10/28/2007, 05:35 PM
g l a s s b o x

chicago, that made me crack up

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 10/28/2007, 05:58 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 10/28/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

I would have taken it too. I would not have asked him ' Are you sure its not 30.00, I have an extra money I would like to give you' I have gotten deals on live rock from employees that may not have known the correct price. If the store is concerned they should address its employee by giving him the proper training. Don't worry about it, Your not to be blamed for thier mistake. JMO

The fact that this thread is focusing on the discount, rather than what happened regarding a fish that died is crazy.
Old 10/28/2007, 06:31 PM
The Puppy Mill Police

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
If only I could Photoshop like that! That's awesome E7.
Old 10/28/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
dude love the humor:-)
Old 10/28/2007, 06:54 PM
OT Slaughter House

It's all fun and games until someone gets their derrier sliced off....

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 10/28/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kawicivic
I dont know exactly what happened but if it were me I would ask something like "isnt that a watchman?" which would have given him a chance to correct his mistake. If the guy was ignorant and argued then I would have walked away laughing (with a new cheap fish). Do I look down on the kid for trying to get a good deal? no, but at the same time the fact that it didn't work out doesn't disappoint me.
he knew that the fish was a yellow watchman. I dont know if any of you have been to old orchard recently. But near their shark pond they have this 3 gallon pico. Normally the pico houses gobies and pistols. I asked how much was that fish there, he was like "the watchman?" i was like yes. There was no label on that tank, the label was on another tank that previously housed watchmans on the other side of the store. I was looking at the other place on the other side of the store earlier, it said clown gobies 16.99 yellow watchman 29.99. I naturally assumed that he got confused with clown gobies because they... well kinda very slightly look the same. He said that they were 16.99, clown gobies are 16.99, so i assumed. There was no way that that watchman was a clown goby cause of its size and its look, but, he probably got prices mixed up.

You may wonder why i didnt say this in my OP, well maybe it was because the OP was not about mis-priced fish, it was about a fish jumping out and dying.

And for people saying that i shouldnt not like old orchard because they are all good etc. A few months ago i was praising old orchard while many of you (not YOU you maybe but people here on this forum) were saying how bad it was and how once i go to the better stores like aquatic reef and rods reef that i wouldnt like old orchard anymore. It seems those people havent risen their voices yet here on this thread

In case anyone was wondering, i ordered the fish on saltwaterfish.com as well as a few other things.

Now, im going to assume more, assuming does not mean that it is correct, it is an opinion of someone. How many here talk the talk but wont walk the walk? Put yourself in my position at a petco store. What would you do. Think long and hard, forget about everything that was said at this thread by everyone, forget that this has happened to other people. Put yourself in other peoples shoes. Then think of what you would do. No need to tell me the answer, just tell yourself. It could be you are well mannered and correct the employee by paying extra. Or you could save a few bucks at a bad employees mistake.

Last edited by Musho3210; 10/28/2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10/29/2007, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

If the employee screwed up i would take the deal and run. Not my fault they messed up. Also i would of just figured that i got lucky and the fish was marked down for whatever reason. You guys put too much thought into this kind of thing.

I mean who cares?

Just because they say you can't do it doesn't mean you can't prove them wrong.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:25 AM
OT GODFATHER

*Tonya walks over to Musho3210 and gives him a big hug*
I can honestly say all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly attributed to drugs & alcohol. I mean I would never urinate at the Alamo at 9 o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober. -Ozzy Osbourne
Old 10/29/2007, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

had to comment
well i worked in several shops and have cought people arguing over a price of another store,comparing,and even trying to get the guys working there to drop the price to match another stores,i have met people who remove the stickers and act like they dont know and want a price right then and there,i met people who change the prices at the register,
obviously you guys never met me,when i go to a store/lfs what ever you guys want to call it,point blank they are stores, i mention the price,if they are mixing it up,sometimes i dont know theres a special and i still mention the regular price,they correct me and mention the special
becuase i will bet my collection of that all of you would be gripping if the price went up to $45. and you seen $29.99,
but you just tried to get over on them why not get over on you? how about you did not pay attention at the register handed your cash/card over got charged and went home and realized you got over charged would come back and gripe about it? of course you would it's a one sided deal with you guys,how about they removed the sticker and it was trashed but you argue it was this price and they say not,you guys would be on here so fast about how you got ripped,but you guys want a break when you guys pull one, come on, keep swindling your local shops you wont have any left
but thats me and my poinion
Old 10/29/2007, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Ironhide has some great points... If you look around at local stores you will see the numbers dwindling because nobody is willing to pay for quality service anymore. People complain that employees don't know what they are talking about because store cannot afford to hire good employees. Chain stores are only in business because people are price conscious and not quality conscious. Many people talk of how great DLC is, but what people don't realize is he is driving regular LFS's out of business also. There is a reason Old Orchard has higher prices... I enjoy the fact that they have a great selection but I too am guilty of price shopping. If I was established in my career I would support a good LFS wholeheartedly as well as many other local establishments. Since I just graduated college, I will continue to shop at Walmart and other price slashing establishments because it allows me more luxuries in other parts of my life... aka a reef tank.

Do I really care if Musho walked out with a great deal? nope, dont care either way, but what I do care was that he was bashing how the employee was lazy and the store had gone down hill, and then he mentioned that he was about to get a steal of deal when he knew the correct price.

In this world, you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Many of you may not believe that someone would mention a higher price but I have been in all sorts of situations where the outcome was not favorable. As a great video game character once said "I am the man with the big cojones," and it takes a bigger man to step up and do the right thing.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

What kills LFS today is buying online. I can't tell you how many fish stores i have been in and talked to the owners where they say that they just can't compete with online stores. If you want to support your LFS buy local. Order a fish through them verses saltwaterfish.com or fosters and smith. If they can't get it for you see if there is a LFS in the area that can if not then go online. I believe that they hurt LFS more than anything else in this business.

Last edited by bignick; 10/29/2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

that is also true... DF&S is trying to get people to demand that LFS offer a 14 day guarantee on all purchases knowing that most LFS do not have the volume to be able to make it should they offer these warranties. Its not the fact that the fish they sell are infurior but its the fact that they can't afford to stock everyone's tank that runs out and buys things on impulse then they die. DF&S buys so much livestock directly from collection teams that the fish they sell for 10-20 less than an LFS still makes as much if not more profit. All this time DF&S is claiming that the push for the warranty is for the good of the hobby, while in fact it is a large business trying to go larger.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bignick
If the employee screwed up i would take the deal and run. Not my fault they messed up. Also i would of just figured that i got lucky and the fish was marked down for whatever reason. You guys put too much thought into this kind of thing.

I mean who cares?

Old 10/29/2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

What? you mean to tell me if one of your distributors F'd up and gave you some extra fish and didn't charge you for them that you would call up and say "hey i owe some money because you gave me some extra fish for free"? Maybe if you were good friends with the guy and he trusted you yeah but if its just some run of the mill type guy you wouldn't think twice and figure its their loss. Anyone that tells me different is a liar. We are all constantly looking for ways to get free stuff, or discounted stuff especially in an expensive hobby such as this.

So yes i f i walked into a LFS that i didn't normally frequent and didn't have any kind of history with the owner or employees i would keep my mouth shut and walk out the door with my 1/2 priced fish. The only time i would question it is if i was in good with the owner and i was taken care of at the LFS. In that case i usually try and take care of that LFS. Matt you know what i'm talking about too.

One hand Washes the other.