Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society (OMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Acro identification and growth?

I bought a frag of a brownish acro a month ago, it looked interesting and if anything was a bit of a test frag to see how SPS would do in my soft coral dominated tank. I'm not sure the species, but I hope someone can tell from the photos, though because of where I put this frag it's difficult to get a sharp photo of it as I have to take it at an angle, and because of the color of the tips being blue it causes a color shift when bent through the glass, showing up as a double image.

The other thing I was wondering about was the growth, I've had it 4 weeks now, and it's really growing fast, I hadn't noticed until I compared the pictures. The branches are sprouting out new little tube like branches and getting very "prickly" looking. It's also lightening up from a brown color to a nice baby blue, starting at the new tips and now beginning to lighten up down the older branches as well. One thing I do wonder about is I hardly ever see the polyps out on this coral, except for a little while sometimes right when the main lights go out. Is this normal in some acros?

Photo from when I first got it 4 weeks ago:

And photo from today, 4 weeks later:

And a little closer, but not too sharp, very hard to photograph this little guy:

Old 10/19/2007, 10:09 PM
No English major

Nice buy, Great growth BTW. Sorry no ID from me

Ask not what OMAS can do for you, Ask what you can do for OMAS.
Old 10/19/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Nice growth, wish my acros would grow that fast. Sorry no ID from me either.
Old 10/21/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

After looking around a bit on the web I'm guessing it's some sort of "Tort", but not sure about that. It looks about right, but most of what I see on torts says that they grow slowly, so maybe I'm off on this one. Still puzzled as to why the polyps aren't out very much, but I guess if it will keep growing I'll not worry too much about it for now. I'm slowly starting to try to prune out some of my softies, but the darn xenia keeps coming back almost faster that I can cut it out. I'm wondering if all the softies are putting out toxins that keep the polyps from extending on my SPS? The few SPS I have seem to be growing pretty well, just don't extend their polyps much, though maybe they aren't supposed to. My "superman" Monti is growing really quickly, as is my orange monti cap, so maybe I'm concerned over nothing.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

I'm not great at IDing acros, but a tort would have been my best guess. I bought a small tort frag and it has probably tripled in size in the past six months so I guess they all don't grow that slow.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Looks like a tortuosa to me
Old 10/21/2007, 10:06 PM
OMAS VP

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Plow
I'm not great at IDing acros, but a tort would have been my best guess. I bought a small tort frag and it has probably tripled in size in the past six months so I guess they all don't grow that slow.
If its the one from my tank then they grow fast.
Old 10/21/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

No, it's one I picked up at Premier on the weekend you could "make an offer". And it was really more of a mystery as to what it would come out to be, since it was pretty brown when I bought it. But now it's a nice blue, which makes it even more fun.

Jarrod, glad to hear that they can grow quickly. Does yours have it's polyps out most of the time? Or do they only come out once in a while?
Old 10/21/2007, 10:20 PM
OMAS VP

I dont have alot of PE on this tort
Old 10/25/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

I dont think it is A. Tortuosa its axial coralites are a lot longer than A. tortuosa and the coralites are more sporatic on this specimen than on torts imo ?i went home and spent a couple of hours with my corals of the world book # 1 to see if i could come up with a I D for this bad boy and out of all the 100 plus acros there were a lot it could have been(this is tough even for borneman or veron to do and be certain!!) i think i want to say A Horrida but it is just a guess im gonna go home and do a little more research tonight on it i wish i had a printer so i could take a pick home With me to compare to the hundreds(seriously) of others acroporas in this book !!also after being in this hobby/trade for a couple of years i have also noticed that a lot of corals that are labelled by species name along with a catchy phrase ocasionally dont look like the species they are named as. the reason for that is its easy to hype up animals/corals into something that they are not to make them more desireable/catchy and marketable .just my 2 pesos on the subject.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Never did quite figure out for sure what type of coral this really was for sure, but it has turned out to be a one of the fastest growing SPS I have (though I only have a few). The latest picture I took today shows the growth in the past few months:

And I'm beginning to get some small frags from it, as my purple tang seems determined to swim past it and break off the tips of the new branches. Luckily they grow back quickly, and if I find them I glue the broken tips down and try to grow them out. This coral is extremely fragile, and it breaks if you barely touch it. Is this normal in a small branched SPS like this?

And as you can see it's right now the centerpiece of my small but slowly expanding SPS garden in the middle of my tank. As I cut back the softies and make more room, I've been adding a few SPS in the new found spaces.

Last edited by TulsaReefer; 01/01/2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:18 PM
OMAS VP

Maybe a stag?Is it baby blue?
Old 01/01/2008, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

The tips and parts of the main branches are baby blue, and the base and some other areas are more dark green/brownish. It may need even more light than my tank can give, though it's still growing nicely, though it's in an area that I've measured at 400+ PAR, which I would think should be enough for most anything. I may learn more as it gets even more and more light as it approaches the surface, at it's current growth rate it may hit the surface in another couple months. Right now it's probably about 3, maybe 4 inches from the surface.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

wow! not a tort. some type of blue staghorn. from there it looks like it'll probably grow sparse irregularly branching branches depending on the flow and light. It is a very nice coral though.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:09 PM
No English major

Double wow!! That thing is smoking. I know your tank can do SPS for sure now.

Ask not what OMAS can do for you, Ask what you can do for OMAS.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I think I have one just like it but smaller,sure does look like some sort of stag..

Donny
OMAS
Old 01/03/2008, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Nice coral Lee! Your sps frags are looking good. That is some great growth.