Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/30/2005, 10:57 AM
get your reef on

clams in a B.B ?

I'm setting up a 120 with marina board (cutting board).
I want to get some deresa clams but I'm afraid they will not like the
BB, the marina board is pretty slick. Can I make a sand box for them to sit in. not with fine sand but more of an aragonite that would not blow around. Or is this a dumb idea and not necessary. I have a bunch of flat base rock I can also lay down for them to attach to, but I thought deresa's liked to be in the sand. thanks.
Old 08/21/2005, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

I too am currently setting up a starboard BB system, and would like to add clams eventually. I know I could make some ledges in my rockwork to hold a clam or two, but does anyone have them sitting directly on starboard?
Old 08/21/2005, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

If you really have starboard it is not smooth! It is pretty rough actually. Very porus!

I have a maxima I put on rocks twice in as many days. I decided to leave it be. It moved very well along the star board until it found it's own home in a day!
Old 08/21/2005, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

I'm not sure about derasa clams but i know that if you are looking for a clam that will live in rockwork that crocea are actually rock-boring clams, so they would be fine on rockwork or on a rough surface bottom or mabey even a slick bottom. My crocea secured himself to the inside of an empty half smooth clam shell within the period of a week.

HTH,
K-Dubbs
Old 08/21/2005, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

does anyone have any pics of the clams iin the rockwork? i have a 120 gal bb and would like to get a deressa clam.
Old 08/21/2005, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

I have a clam in the rock work. Sorry I don't have any pics yet and I'm not sure how to tell which clam it is. Does any one have a guide to idefication? Also I put it in the rock work instead of the sand because I was told since I have a few Nassarius Snails and that they will eat at the foot of the clam in if its in the sand. Is this true?
Old 08/21/2005, 01:20 PM
All will be well.

my small tank is bb; the clams like it just fine- they attach easily to the smooth surface as well as the rockwork.