Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
I'm not--what or who is rube goldberg
Rube Goldberg Basically, a rube Goldberg machine is a comical contraption that does something in an apparantly over complicated way. I don't think stacking washers to form a spacer of the desired thickness really rises to that level.

Quote:
Originally posted by barjam
They sent him one... but it wasn't the right size apparently. Thats a pretty honest mistake in my book. So rather than wait for another washer he bought something at Home Depot that would work. If he would have emailed hydor they would have made it right.
Exactly right. I wasn't patient enough to contact Hydor again and wait another week to maybe get the right piece. I was going to Home Depot anyway, so I spent a couple minutes in the hardware aisle and found that the #6 nylon washers looked like they might fit. So, I spent forty cents, went home and resolved my problem. I like the form and function of the Koralia, but I'm not going to let something run that vibrates excessively or makes accessive noise. I couldn't simply return the the pump since I bought it online and have already been using it for several months. Also, if i did indeed negligently lose a spacer while cleaning, I don't think it would be right to "pass the buck" and try to get a refund. I posted the information on the nylon washers since I think it might help some other people better enjoy a pwerhead they have already paid for and might like to use.

Edit: I also don't care to argue the merits of the potential fix or whether the Koralia is a worthy product. I just want others who may be experiencing problems to see what worked for me so they can give a similar solution a try.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wildnotmild

Edit: I also don't care to argue the merits of the potential fix or whether the Koralia is a worthy product. I just want others who may be experiencing problems to see what worked for me so they can give a similar solution a try. [/B]
Good on yer mate,
that's what this place is for. Sharing ideas and opinions. Glad to hear it worked for you.

Luckily for me, mine started acting up on day one and went straight back.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

I think there is some definite merit to reducing the frequency of cleaning on these powerheads. After about a week, both of mine stopped the loud hum. Think for now on I may just clean the screen on it and leave the impeller and the housing alone. Regardless, the Hydo rep emailed me back and said they were sending me replacement washers free of charge. Can't say enough about how pleased I am with the powerheads performance (aside from the noise) as well as their customer service. I may stock up on some of the #6 nylon washers regardless. Thanks for the post.
Old 12/03/2007, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Luckily for me, mine started acting up on day one and went straight back.
the thing is though, they always run noisily the first 72 hours. defective or not. they just need a break-in period. they run better dirty.
Old 12/03/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Actually... now that I think about it my skimmer is the same way.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

I have 2 # 2's and i have never cleaned them. Havent had any issues other than 2x one of them wouldnt start back up after power shut down. That was the first week i got it, hasnt done it since. I just got the nano, it's awesome.
Old 12/04/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wildnotmild
Rube Goldberg Basically, a rube Goldberg machine is a comical contraption that does something in an apparantly over complicated way. I don't think stacking washers to form a spacer of the desired thickness really rises to that level.
hmmm sounds like a few fellow teachers I worked with over the years.