Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/01/2007, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

Which city has the best public aquarium?

I have to travel to take an examination that isn't offered in my local. The testing facilities are:

Los Angeles
Chicago
New York
Honolulu
Atlanta
San Francisco
Washington D.C.
Seattle

I assume Honolulu would be the most expensive to go to. But aside from that cost concern, which of these cities has the best public aquarium (or one within a reasonable drive, like San Fran and Monterey) and which would be the most fun just in general?

Thanks!
Old 09/01/2007, 01:22 AM
Moved On

I think Atlanta.

The NY Aquarium in Brooklyn is also very nice. Can't comment on the rest as I have not had the good fortune to visit them. Yet.
Old 09/01/2007, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

Monterey represent! (biased opinion)

they just got a new fresh water exhibit that is way nice.

fresh water otters; nice archer fish exhibit too, ask them to feed them its awesome.
Old 09/01/2007, 01:59 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Well, I wouldn't say it's the best when you compare it to Monterey Bay or Georgia, but I really like the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks. Now, I wouldn't plan a vacation around it, but if you are in the area it is definitely worth seeing.
Old 09/01/2007, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

the Ripleys aquarium in Gatlinburg TN is really great. i havent seen the rest.
Old 09/01/2007, 07:52 AM
Knows Victoria's Secret

Baltimore, the National Aquarium! Is pretty amazing, plus they have a new Australia exhibit made my the Discovery channel!
Old 09/01/2007, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Oh, and the test date is Dec 2, so in case there's any weather considerations (like I would tend to discount Chicago, as it'll be snowy and I've seen the Shedd before. Chances of it being delayed, cancelled, etc due to weather conditions would be a bummer after flying there of purchasing tickets).

Last edited by speakerguy; 09/01/2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09/01/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

I have been to Ripley's in Gatlinburg, the Honolulu Aquarium, the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, and the Newport Aquarium near Cincy. I loved all of the but I think the best was probably Shedd. I did love the location of Honolulu though, it's right on the just a short walk from waikiki beach.
Old 09/01/2007, 09:20 AM
Team RC Member

Of the cities you name, I think Seattle. It's on the piers, right next to great shopping, great seafood, ferry docks, Pike Street Market right up the hill; all easy walking, and a really nice aquarium. You can sit quite a while in the fish-dome, plus see jellies, octopus, etc. They found the six-gill shark, thought to be a deep-sea rarity, actually comes up and cruises around the pilings of the aquarium...there are also the otters, the birds, etc. And when you're done, walk down to Ivars and get a table overlooking Elliott Bay and watch the ferries come and go.

Winter weather: usually pretty good and warmer than the rest of WA. Skiing in the mountains right above the city, but Seattle's on the Pacific Current, so it stays moderate in summer and winter.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 09/01/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

out of the cities on your list, i have been to the Georgia Aquarium, as well as the National Aquarium in Baltimore. if i had to choose one to visit again, it would be Georgia. it may depend on what kind of experience you are looking for. if you are looking for a chance to visit a dedicated Aquarium, Atlanta is your city. if you are looking for a fantastic aquarium that incorporates exhibits such as an aviary, along with a fantastic city experience, do the D.C. thing, and spend the 30 minutes or so to travel to Baltimore. the overall experience in Baltimore was very entertaining, with many things to see and do right in the immediate area.

strictly for Aquarium viewing, though, I have to vote for Atlanta.
Old 09/01/2007, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

Monterey is a wonderful facility but you have to remember that it's focus is the local habitats, so don't go there expecting to see lots of reef fish. The jellies exhibit is almost worth the cost of admission.

While Steinhart Aquarium (to the North in S.F.) may not be the BEST, it's a nice visit and has the advantage of being a part of the California Acadamy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park.

Off track, but has anyone seen an old movie with Laura San Giacomo called "Nina Takes a Lover"? (no, different Nina -- I think ... well, maybe ????) The outdoor seats where the couple would meet is the music concourse in G.G. Park which sits right across the road from the Academy of Sciences. Yet another piece of useless trivia ...
Old 09/01/2007, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Argh, went out and started looking at the site -- looks like Steinhart is in temporary quarters in downtown S.F. while the modernize the Golden Gate Park location.

Oh, well, something to look forward to in 2008!
Old 09/01/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Don't bother with the aquarium in Washington DC. My husband and I went to DC a couple years ago and were very disappointed with the aquarium - we wanted to rescue all the fish from the horrible conditions - tanks dirty, lighting poor, fish looking diseased or starving. Really quite a pity, as the rest of the city is beautiful.

Don't know if Boston's an option for you, but the aquarium there was really wonderful - they have a HUGE reeftank running down the middle of the aquarium. Food for thought if you're ever there.
Old 09/01/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

if yer goin to New England i suggest both the New England Aquarium(Boston, MA) and Mystic Aquarium and Institute for Exploration (Mystic, CT)
Old 09/02/2007, 06:11 AM
Simply Complicated

I've only been to three. My favorite by far is still the Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg TN.
Old 09/02/2007, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

Monterey, New England (Boston), New York - in that order (Never been to Atlanta - but it looks Kick Butt!).

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 09/02/2007, 12:38 PM
30 year and over club

I would say Hawaii. It is a beautiful aquarium. You diden't mention Boston but I think their's is the best.
Old 09/02/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Dec 2, well that ought to eliminate all the cold cities. Why go where its cold when its cold when you can go warm up?
Chicago
New York
Washington D.C.
Seattle

Los Angeles
Honolulu
Atlanta
San Francisco

If someone else is paying I would say its no competition, go to hawaii. Otherwise I would go to Atlants. The aquarium is one of the finest in the country, and certainly has the largest tank. Plus A-town ROCKS.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 09/02/2007, 04:37 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Well go San Fran, i just got back from there and boy is it a great city, no matter how crazy the people are there, its still a great city. And very clean as well by the way.

About 2-3 hours outside San Fran is carmel and monterey, and also pebble beach if you like to golf. Monterey is most definately the best aquarium out of them cities you have mentioned, not to mention right outside of san fran is also muir woods which is amazing and you should def check them out as well. You can also go to nappa valley and do a bit of wine tasting. The food in San Fran is some of the best i have ever had (the slanted door, farallon,just to name a few) and the weather there is perfect, almost as good as San Diego.

San Francisco is an awesome city and i had a blast there. Dont forget to see the seals and the rock. The wharf is very commercial but if your into that then you will like it, but iam not into all that and just went there to see the seals and say that ive been to the wharf. North beach is a great night life scene as well.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/02/2007, 04:43 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Oh and the home depot aquarium is very nice, but there is just a lot more stuff to do in San Francisco than Atlanta. Plus the outskirts of San Francisco are great, carmel is a must, and you have to go to the beach there, its amazing. Maybe you might even be lucky enough to see Clint there as well. He owns a hogs breathe thats there in carmel as well. If you have a rental car dont worry to much about the 3 hour limit o parking in carmel. A short story, i was talking to one of the traffic people in carmel and they know the difference between a rental and a none rental car, and dont really care about the tourists taking the limit over a bit, but they mainly concentrate on the locals. You will see the traffic people go around in carmel with this stick that has a blue chalk piece on the end marking the tires of the cars and you will notice they will skip a few cars along the way and the cars they skip are most likely rentals. I thought that was pretty cool, just thought i would let ya know.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/02/2007, 05:02 PM
Moderator Clone

Okay, my opinion agrees with Thurge about Hawaii.

1st choice - go to Honolulu. The Waikiki aquarium is nice, and really built around the reef habitat. Plus, you're in Hawaii in December. You can go out and snorkel and see fish that you have in your tank! Lots of local history as well - the Pearl Harbor tour, the Polynesian Culture Center and other local cultural spots.

2nd choice/3rd choice - Los Angeles or San Francisco. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is really spectacular, but the Long Beach Aquarium isn't too bad either. In San Francisco, you have Fisherman's Wharf and what can only really be called the San Francisco experience. In Los Angeles, you have Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios and southern California weather (which is known to be a bit more sunny than Northern California).

If you're looking to do a test AND a vacation, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three, but if cost weren't a consideration, I'd take Hawaii 11 times out of 10.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 09/03/2007, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluerug
Oh and the home depot aquarium is very nice, but there is just a lot more stuff to do in San Francisco than Atlanta. Plus the outskirts of San Francisco are great, carmel is a must, and you have to go to the beach there, its amazing. Maybe you might even be lucky enough to see Clint there as well. He owns a hogs breathe thats there in carmel as well. If you have a rental car dont worry to much about the 3 hour limit o parking in carmel. A short story, i was talking to one of the traffic people in carmel and they know the difference between a rental and a none rental car, and dont really care about the tourists taking the limit over a bit, but they mainly concentrate on the locals. You will see the traffic people go around in carmel with this stick that has a blue chalk piece on the end marking the tires of the cars and you will notice they will skip a few cars along the way and the cars they skip are most likely rentals. I thought that was pretty cool, just thought i would let ya know.
the traffic cops are pretty much the extent of the police force they have in Carmel.

it's really crowded in Monterey County right now though.

We just did the moto GP and then after that was concourse and then there was something at the equestrian center, and now they're having the first tee. its getting annoying. (i work out in pebble beach, so yea).

this is when the weather starts to get really nice though. I'm in the bay right now but before i left it was like +90ΒΊ. which is rare.
Old 09/08/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

I have been to aquariums in Boston, New Orleans, Monterey, Seattle, Chicago, Long Beach and Atlanta. Atlanta is the nicest by far.
Old 10/10/2007, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

heads up:

i went to the monterey bay aquarium yesterday, the "splash zone" or coral reef section is closed till May
Old 10/10/2007, 11:32 AM
I yam what I yam

I have to agree with Anemone. Can't beat SoCal weather or Hawaii. Plus you have all of the "extras" to see as well.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?