Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

This is just a thought...would not the media filters be better off in each corner of the open area of the sump as to make room for LR?
Oi!…I just noticed the change from a sock to catch-pan…good deal…..I too like that design. Better than the sock from what I interpret

The main return line…goes to another pump? Octopus? Or just return?

Am I right...the length from the door jam to the Left wall is 17 feet?
Old 07/28/2007, 10:44 PM
Team RC Member

Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread! I just wanted to mention what a great job you're doing thus far, and please return so you can keep the momentum going. I love the fact that you'll be able to view all 4 sides of the tank. That will be wicked cool! Wish I had something productive to say, but I guess this was better than "tagging along."
Old 07/29/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Your design methods are outstanding. makes this a great read. as i'm new to full blown reef systems, i have one question for you or all. I see chillers installed or designed into systems like this and i dont understand why if you have a dedicated fish room that you dont just control the temp. of the entire room not just the water.
Old 07/29/2007, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

jnarow - sorry.. I get carried away sometimes.

ebolii - The main return line goes to a sequence barracuba which goes straight to 3 wavyseas that feed into the display tank. I also have a small T at the beginning that feeds the frag tank with the same water as the display tank.

If i measure right when I started the sketch up fish room it should be about 14' from the door jam to the left wall. Not a huge room but plenty big for what I need.

Dudester - thanks for the encouragement and positive feedback. Can't wait to get my hands dirty.. thanks for tagging along.

mountaindew - thanks for your interest. The reason why we use chillers is that you can feed humidity down and cool the water much more effiecently then with an air conditioner. Plus you don't really want your humid fish water evaporation getting into your air con system, can cause serious damage.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 07/29/2007, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

I am bored enough that I have begun my stocking list already. If any has an input for must have fish please let me know so I can take them into consideration.

Old 07/29/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Only 14ft eh? My room is a 10x10 but I only have ˝ that so only a 8x3 stretch similar to what you have posted

Don't know about fish but a Green Dragon Micromussa (Micromussa amakusensis) [LPS Coral] will look great in a cube
Old 07/29/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for reply! what i ment was i see so many designs on rc with fish rooms costing in upwards of 10k+ to start. i would think that a dedicated heating and cooling system for that room would be much more efficient at controling humidity,heat,cooling and cost less to opperate and maintain. I build buildings for a living and so i may be jaded. ps i have done zoo displays but they were for penguins and very cold water systems so chillers were a must
Old 07/29/2007, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

ebolii - can't wait to begin a proper micro collection. The colors that are available are just amazing. Its nice to finally have a proper amount of space to get a nice fish room together.

mountaindew - I actually plan on have a split air con just for my fish room as well as the chillers. I hope to find a happy medium between being cost effective and efficient so I won't have to run either at 100 percent. Have a chiller that can handle the entire tank is always a great backup in case things go wrong.

I know you all are probably getting tired of sketchup posts but its all i got to work with. This is an update of the layout of the area of the house the fishtank will occupy and be viewable from.

Also I think the living room and movie rooms are bigger then depicted but oh well... you all get the idea. Enjoy

Old 07/29/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

I may have missed this, but how high do you plan to make your tank? Eye level for those sitting down in your movie room, or eye level for those standing or walking past the tank?
Old 07/29/2007, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

I plan on having the tank begin at 36" so it will be most for standing viewing. That means that the top of the tank would be at 66". So you would be looking down at most of the tank and should be able to see a decent amount of it sitting down.

Old 07/29/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thirschmann
I know you all are probably getting tired of sketchup posts but its all i got to work with
Actually no....it is refreshing to see some great concept in motion.
Old 07/29/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EBOLII
Actually no....it is refreshing to see some great concept in motion.
I 2nd that. Looks good..cant wait to see it come together,,,

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 07/30/2007, 04:33 AM
Premium Member

Gonnnna be soooooo sweeet!

Can't wait to see the real deal!

Your current tank says reed and i know you meant reef buildling a tank like this! Just thought id let you know amigo!
Old 08/02/2007, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the positive feed back. And thank you for correcting me GMFett, kept me from looking like a dumb a$$ for to long.

Not much to report other then that I hope to be back in 3 weeks. My girlfriend also hoped over to England to visit me which makes this all a little less stressful.

Out of topic, I got an iphone yesterday and WOW, much better then I thought it would be. Great product.

And on to a question... what is better? a big pump with a manifold and another big pump as a return or 2 smaller pumps on a manifold and 2 smaller pumps for the return. Option a takes less maintenance and option b gives me lots of redundancy. Let me know your option.

Old 08/02/2007, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

hopped*

Old 08/02/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thirschmann
And on to a question... what is better? a big pump with a manifold and another big pump as a return or 2 smaller pumps on a manifold and 2 smaller pumps for the return. Option a takes less maintenance and option b gives me lots of redundancy. Let me know your option. [/B]
Here's a quick explanation as to why I like option B.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...Detail/ttid/64
Old 08/02/2007, 01:50 PM

if you visit the MDM (Sequence) web site, they also have an interesting explanation about putting their pumps in series. I don't like option B as described above because of all the extra plumbing. I thought about this too during my build, but what I really wanted was the least amont of electrical usage and heat for the most amount of flow. And I have a spare pump, so if something goes wrong with one, I swap it out in a matter of minutes.

There's an interesting school of thought in the yachting industry: two mains make it much more likely that you will have power to get home. One main makes it much more likely that you will maintain it. Not sure that exactly applies to reefing, but it does hold my interest.
Old 08/02/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Woo that is a little extra plumbing. I want to use one pump for my sump. It will be nice to have a spare. I am as concerned as the next with power. It all adds up quick..Supplements, Food, Salt, R/0 filters, livestock and electricity.. Woo that is a sweet monthly expense..

Thirschmann What do you have on your list so far?

Old 08/02/2007, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Thank you for the feedback. I was thinking of either using the two pumps in sequence or having each with a dedicated input and output line so that any clogs can be avoided as well. I know that I would need twice the PVC for this but its not that much more in the grand scheme of things.

goetzc - thank you for the input. I do not trust check valves as I have heard almost nothing but bad things about them. The flow from the second pump should keep water from draining back through the return line but I am not prepared to take that risk. Please let me know if you have any further ideas.

jnarowe - thanks for the reference to the sequence website. I have never run pumps in sequence but like the idea. I am refering to the last diagram on the page.
http://www.mdminc.com/Multiple_Pump_Curve.htm
I am assuming that if one pump fails, the other can still run without problems. I also assume that the second pump simply increases the flow and pressure output by the first pump. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The reason why I am considering a second pump running in the system is that I am not at home as often as I would like and I could like to make this tank as fool proof and moran resistant as possible, eventhough I am sure I will run into problems left and right anyways. I figure that two smaller pumps will also not use significantly more energy then one large pump, at least not significant after comparing the entire tanks energy usage.

I like the refrence to boating, I was thinking along the same lines.

erics3000 - Yeah this tank is going to break the bank. Don't even have kids but I am already burning through their college fund. Still working on the list but I will list what I have now as a starting point.
-1 Clown tang
-1 Sailfin tang
-1 Cole tang
-1 Regal Blue tang
-1 Neon Dottyback
-1 Mandarin
-3 Clown fish
-3 Chromis (not going back in the main tank)
-1 Firefish
-2 Bangaii Cardinals

Open to any ideas, I know that a trigger is at the top of my list. I would also like to try my hand at some angelfish. I had a juvenile emperor fish when I first started out and loved it. I am also partial to the sohal tang.

Old 08/02/2007, 04:52 PM

Interesting graphs on the MDM site eh?

Anyway, in my system, even if my return pump fails while I am away, all that will happen is that my filtration will shut down. Most of my in-tank flow comes from Vortechs.

Rather than try to over-design the system, how about training someone to take care of it while you are away? And include how to swap out the main pump? One reefer here on RC actually created a reef manual for his wife for his extended abscenses.

There were sections on feeding, water changes/chemistry, various emergencies, etc.

And since you will be away often, I would definitely get extremely familiar with all the different ways you can use sensors to communicate with your controller, which will in turn, notify you via email of any out-of-state situations.
Old 08/02/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

You can lock on the college rates now. If you are married and plan on having them soon it might be something to think about. Here is a link.

http://www.florida529plans.com/
Damm I feel old. Mine isn't here yet but already talking like a parent.

Cool fish list. I found a good price and a nice looking Cole.. pretty fish. I have been liking Cardinals more and more myself.

Old 08/02/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Good Point Johnathan. Every time I leave its always in the back of my mind...I am trying to get my neighbor involved. This way he can help my Wife when I am away on business.

Old 08/02/2007, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

jonathan -

definetely useful.

you are right about the pumps. I have plenty of flow in my tank without the return and there is plenty of room in my sump for drainage. I guess its time to write a manual, its worth the time and effort and I definetly have the time.

I am looking into the ACIII and will have a website dedicated to my tank so I can monitor and control settings. I have the iphone know so I will be able to get the email alerts. I am also putting webcams in my sump room and multiple cameras on the display so that I can keep and eye on things, plus there are really cool.

eric -

haha, thanks for the info but I am not even married yet, a little to young for that. Just saying that at the rate I am going I will be broke soon anyways.

That fish list is what I already have from my 120g. I really like the cardinals as they breed constantly and I like seeing there breeding rituals as well as the egg incubation.

I agree with jonathan as well, I have no way of remotely monitoring my tank now and it drives me crazy. I can only rely on the person looking after my tank and after this previous experience I want to be able to keep an eye on things myself.

Old 08/02/2007, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

ohh and by the way, sorry I'm an *** sometimes... congratulations on the anticipated addition to your family... between the baby and the fish tank this must be quite an exciting and stressful time for you. Enjoy!

Old 08/02/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Thanks... I am looking forward to getting home this weekend. I heard about the eggs in there mouth. I have never seen it yet. I am going to see if I can pick some up.