Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/21/2005, 09:53 PM
Tang Police - What a Joke

Re: Thanks, WMTasker

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushong87
Just a thanks for your DIY project. My current issue was with Ph control but I used your design for a Kalkwasser reactor. So far, so good
I've been thinking about making a kalk reactor. You'll have to post some pics and show us all how you did it.

visit my site dedicated to reef keeping just click on my little red house.
Old 06/22/2005, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

I've been thinking of making a Kalk reactor as well out of a filter housing. The problem I think is that the 10" housing is too short for kalk as when it gets stirred, it gets directly dumped into the tank. A 20" filter housing would be preferred, but the only one I find that is clear is $138 (ouch).
Old 06/22/2005, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

I'm taking the first step in building this. Just got a Mag 2 on ebay for $17 last night.

I was wondering, could the flow in this reactor be made more efficient by using a diffuser plater under the media? What I mean is, something similar to a phosban reactor, that little bottom plate with the holes in it. Seems that would allow the water to contact the media better on its way up through it.

When I make one I might try that. I can get an acrylic circle cut that will just fit the bottom of the reactor so it sort of seals against the sides. My local tap plastics also sells acrylic tube, so I could use 1" acrylic tube attached to the diffuser plate.
Old 06/22/2005, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by craby
I've been thinking of making a Kalk reactor as well out of a filter housing. The problem I think is that the 10" housing is too short for kalk as when it gets stirred, it gets directly dumped into the tank. A 20" filter housing would be preferred, but the only one I find that is clear is $138 (ouch).
Try here, only $55. I think this site was originally posted by jthnhale.
Old 06/23/2005, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Tonym,
That works for the Kalk reactor (fits 2.5" cartridge). The one for $138 I saw fit the 4.5" big cartridges. The same diameter as our CA Reactor 1st chamber. I am wandering if it would be better to have the 1st chamber 20" tall x 4.5" diameter ilo the 10" tall x 4.5" diameter. Any thoughts if this would be any benefit?
Old 06/23/2005, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Can anyone tell me if this co2 tank would work? It looks like a regular co2 tank to me, but I don't have much experience with them. It's a 5 lb tank. Apparently they were sold by a drink company for soda machines.

Old 06/23/2005, 10:15 PM

craby
The only real benifet to having a larger chamber, would be for a larger tank. The larger the reactor chamber, the more calcium media, the great flow rate, which all leads to being able to handle a tank that need a greater calcium output from a reactor.

trmiv
I don't see any reason why that tank won't work for you. The tank I have was from a beer tap.

Old 06/24/2005, 08:53 AM
Moved On

That is my new baby... It is soo quiet and heavy duty! I had to put a beer can up next to it to give you an idea of the size. IMO this is the highest qualtiy CA reactor on the market if you are looking to spend $200-250 on the reactor. They are manufactured by Aquatic Systems Design here in Kansas City (www.aquaticsystemsdesign.com)
Old 06/24/2005, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pioneerlog
I did it myself, just take a bio-ball and start cuttin...:-)
Pioneerlog, I just got a bio ball and will start cutting soon. How much noise reduction did you get? Did you do it on WmTasker CR?
Old 06/24/2005, 10:27 AM

I tried the bioball addition to my reactor this week. I most of did something wrong or either the quietone 1200 impeller is just to small. It didn't work for me. It made the pump really noisey. I might try it again later, or get a mag 3 to try it on.

Old 06/24/2005, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

I've been following this thread all along and loving it. Gonna build mine next week. Any idea on what the ideal GPH pump we should be using on this badboy?
Old 06/24/2005, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

A fellow reefer will be dropping off a few bioballs for me tonight, I'll let you know how the mod works on a mag 5. (Please be quieter....Please...Please....Please....Please....Please!)
Old 06/24/2005, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

So how loud is this thing?

Have you guys considered using something like this in the design? This is from the DJ88 reactor, credit goes to him:

Old 06/24/2005, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Is that a coupling?
Old 06/24/2005, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

I have no clue, trying to find out from the thread.
Old 06/24/2005, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

it's not all that loud, it's just the sound of the pump cavitating all the time. My reactor is hung on the wall next to my tank in my living room...so I don't really like having to listen to the pump while I am watching TV.
Old 06/24/2005, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

Mine is going in a closet in the living room. I've I ever get the money to build it that is.
Old 06/24/2005, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Here's a real pic of it:

Old 06/24/2005, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Looks like a shed 80 coupling with a reducer in it.
Old 06/24/2005, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Anyone have any problems with the heat of a Mag 3 pump causing the whole chamber to get warm?

I really need to ditch this pump I think.
Old 06/24/2005, 02:34 PM
Hooked on Reefkeeping

Quote:
Originally posted by impur
Looks like a shed 80 coupling with a reducer in it.
I recall seeing this thread not long ago and as I recall, it IS a sched 80 coupling with reducer. He wrapped tape around a hose barb and jammed it into the reducer for the input side.

I saw this when I was looking into adding a Mazzei injector (or something similar) to use to inject the CO2.
Old 06/25/2005, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Did you guys remove the metal rings on the inside threads of the reactor body?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06/25/2005, 10:09 AM
Movin' on up!

Quote:
Originally posted by em21701
A fellow reefer will be dropping off a few bioballs for me tonight, I'll let you know how the mod works on a mag 5. (Please be quieter....Please...Please....Please....Please....Please!)
Hope so too, nothing like your tank disrupting TV bonding time. I'm doing a WC soon on my tank, ill snap some pics of the inside of the hagen 802 for my skimmer. Good luck, try looking for any pics of a bioball you can until then so you can make it just right.

Andres
Old 06/25/2005, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

impur,
DJ88's sketch is of a shc 80 3/4" slip coupling w/ (1) 3/4" slip to 1/2" FPT bushing on one side for a 1/2" hose barb. The other side he used a 1/2" hose barb w/ the barbed end shoved into the 3/4" coupling w/ plumber's tape (rubber tape). Not sure where you can find plumber's tape. He then drilled & tapped (2) JG fittings into the 3/4" coupling to create a venturi for his CO2 from regulator & top of his reactor.

I am having a problem... I have my regulator solinoid valve controlled by a Pinpoint PH controller w/ the effluent high PH setting at 6.6 & low PH setting at 6.4 so the PH stays in this range (optimum PH to disolve calcium carbonate). The problem is when the PH drops below 6.4 the solinoid closes, but the reactor is causing back pressure on the bubble counter & forcing water from the bubble counter into the CO2 line from the regulator. Any idea why this is happening?
Old 06/25/2005, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

craby,

My bubble counter has a built-in check valve which prevents water from back flowing into the regulator.