Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/16/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy HELP!!! My clown won't eat! I have yellow water too!

I had my clown in QT for 4 weeks and 4 days ago I put him in my 14 gal. BioCube. Well, he is ignoring his pellets and mysis and just swims around crazily! He likes to swim in the current and just go wacko sometimes. But he just won't eat and I am getting concerned. The water parameters are good; zeros and ph is 8.2. The only thing is that I had treated the tank for three days with Maracyn but since I have done three large (4 gallon each) water changes and the water is still yellow and seems to be getting worse. I just put in a new bag of chemipure and purigen too. I don't know what to do about both of those problems, but I am most concerned about the clown.

Does he just need more time to settle?

Also, I am going to do ANOTHER 4 gallon water change tonight.
any suggestions would be great!!!
Old 03/16/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Its probably a good idea to keep doing the water changes.
Are you sure your ammonia is zero?
A friend of mine added Maracyn to treat some red slime and when it all dissolved, it
polluted his tank. The ammonia released plus the drop in oxygen almost wiped out his tank.
Old 03/16/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

why if u had it in qt for four weeks dident u use the maracyn in there? just curious.

Maracyn turns water yellow. to get it to go away you must run carbon. (I donno what chemipure and purigen are, is that carbon?)

water change as well.

what was wrong that u treated with maracyn after it was moved over? was it 100% healthy in qt? when u moved it did you acclimate it to the tank?

Maracyn has an appitite stimulant in it, a clown can go awhile with out eating (mine went almost 8 days without eatting, she had a bacteria infection whitch maracyn2 cured.. in a qt tank)

tell me your situation with this clown, you might need to move it back to qt and start over on treatment. any other syptoms? breathing heavy, fin rot, listless, ect

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 03/16/2007, 06:07 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

It a QT tank, do a 100% water change...
Old 03/18/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Well, the Maracyn was for a cyano outbreak. I just did an 8 gallon water change and it seems clearer now. Before the water parameters were really all at zero. The water quality has been perfect for weeks now and after an almost complete water change it should be good still. My tank only holds about 9.5-10 gallons with the live rock in it. I just hope it doesn't go back to yellow and that I have cleared everything out of the tank.

The clown was in QT for 4 weeks and last Sunday I put him in the regular tank. The Maracyn was NOT for him. He is very healthy as far as I can see and has been since I got him. Yes, I did acclimate him for about two hours before adding him to the tank.

He eats some brine shrimp but is not eating the pellets or just spitting the pellets out for some reason. I was needing to know why he would not eat the pellets he normally likes. He is also acting crazy like swimming really spazo in the current and swimming up and down though the tank. He is not very calm ever. Is the current too strong for him or is he just having "fun"?

I guess I am trying to figure out what to do about him not eating the pellets. I am worried that he will starve. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I just want him to be a happy little clown!!

Thanks for the help!
Old 03/18/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

try some flakes. brine has zero nutritional value. mysis is a great choice, and they need vegi too. i like omega vegi flakes... or i should say... my clowns will eat them lol

Old 03/18/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

I have tried to give him flakes and he just ignored them. I know the brine shrimp are bad, but I was thinking of soaking them in Selcon if that proves to be the only thing he will eat. I have tried mysis as well and he spits them out. He is a picky eater!!! I will try the flakes again.

I also put a piece of seaweed on a clip and he ignored it. Is this something that clown could be interested in?

Also, does his behavior sound odd to anyone? Some of the tanks I have seen have some very calm clowns who seem to just chill intead of the crazy swimming.
Old 03/19/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

when i first got my maroon she was picky, i dont think she trusted me. after a few months she'll eat anything i put in the tank.

Im not sure why yours is so frisky, they do have fun swimming all crazy and in the current and stuff, but they usually rest too.

Old 03/19/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

He is eating mysis now. I will try the flakes tomorrow morning. He seems a bit calmer but he is still crazy in the current. I guess every clown is different.

I also bought two bags of carbon and a new bag of purigen for getting rid of the yellow in the tank. I hope this works!!!