Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/02/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

How to install hanging kit for light?

Is it that hard to install lighting hanging kit for light? Just the wire suspended ones?

Have to take light apart to install it?

Have the light arriving this afternoon, be first time at suspending it, external ballast, so i should be able to get away with the anchors in ceiling to hang it right? Just drywall should hold it up?
Old 08/02/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

I've got an Outer Orbit Pro 48 inch to hang from the ceiling, and I'm certainly not trusting the "butterfly" hangers that came with the fixture. It's too heavy for my drywall ceiling (and, where I need to install it, I can't reach a joist)! So, I have to cut two holes in my ceiling, and install a couple of 2 X 4's between the joists (in order to have something to screw into). Then, I'll have to fix the holes in the ceiling.

Joe
Old 08/02/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Depending on where it is, if it's against the wall, go and get some shelving mounts. The kind that are 90 degrees can be mounted to the studs in the wall and give you a place to mount the lights. If you go that route you may as well finish with the shelve to give you some storage above the tank. Just an idea.

Shawn

- Duke

allmyheroesletmedrown
Old 08/02/2007, 05:10 PM
Knows Victoria's Secret

If you can find the joists in the ceiling, drill into those then use an eye bolt, this will calm your nerves, but if your ballast is remotely wired your fixture shouldn't weigh more then 20-30 lbs, and with 2-3 hangers, should distribute the weight enough to toggle bolt it thru the drywall
Old 08/16/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

As I mentioned above, here is what I had to do.....This fixture is heavy!

Cutting Out The Holes.....

Installing 2" X 6" Boards......

Re-installing The Pieces Of Drywall I Cut Out Of Ceiling.....

Spackling The Holes.....

After Painting And Installing The Hanging Kit.....

Joe
Old 08/16/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

that looks pretty clean joe!
Old 08/16/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Hi, ooba,

Thanks!!!

Joe
Old 08/16/2007, 04:46 PM
RainbowAcro

You don't need that kind of backing for a tiny light like that? Few drywall anchors would have been fine. What does that light weigh... 20lbs
Old 08/16/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted By Qwiv;

"You don't need that kind of backing for a tiny light like that? Few drywall anchors would have been fine. What does that light weigh... 20lbs"

I estimate this fixture at ~ 40- 50 lbs. I didn't weigh it on a scale, but this fixture has some weight to it (even though it has external ballasts). It seems very well-built.

Joe
Old 08/16/2007, 06:55 PM
RainbowAcro

There is no way it weights that much. I have Tek fixtures hanging in earthquake country in drywall.
Old 08/16/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

I don't like to take chances.....No way this 48" fixture weighs only 20 pounds. Putting that much weight on drywall anchors, or butterflies, is asking for catastrophy.

Joe
Old 08/16/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Hey Joe I am with you. I "overbuild" everything and have complete peace of mind. My buddies rib me because my home built stand for my 220 could hold "sea world"......Very nice job and sleep well..
Old 08/16/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, horstman2! The only way that fixture is coming out of my ceiling is if we have a 6.5 quake here in PA!!!!! I actually hung from those 2" X 6" boards, and I weigh in at 215 lbs.

Joe
Old 08/24/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Hey Malawiandude,

Did you get your light installed yet? Pics?

Joe
Old 09/23/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Malawiandude,

Did you get you fixture installed yet?

Joe