Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/24/2007, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

Unhappy Well I killed one more

Dead after 3 days in my tank.

I can't seem to keep them not even for a short time. I would be happly if I could get a year like other people. I think it's my 20th try over the years. It was a indo item maybe I'll try the Aussie one but not sure if I want to make it 21.
Old 06/24/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Is that an elegance?
Old 06/24/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

20th?? if something died the second time in my tank, I'm not sure if I would buy a third one. Goodluck finding the one that will stay alive man..
Old 06/24/2007, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

elegance corals are known to die easy and often. There are a rare few that actually survive and thrive. I even read about one that multiplied and frags were sold of it (it had been in a captive system for years)

There is a thread here on RC somewhere that id dedicated solely to trying to keep them alive. Hunt it up and set aside some time to read up... I would highly recommend reading it before you try your next one

Best of luck
Old 06/24/2007, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Pretty sure that someone was Eric Borneman.
Old 06/24/2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

yea, I think so too. but I am not sure if that thread is still active or not, or if he moved the thread to another reef board (seems like I heard that rumor, but I don't know for sure)
Old 06/25/2007, 12:16 PM
Fragaholic

Re: Well I killed one more

Quote:
Originally posted by nashorn
Dead after 3 days in my tank.

I can't seem to keep them not even for a short time. I would be happly if I could get a year like other people. I think it's my 20th try over the years. It was a indo item maybe I'll try the Aussie one but not sure if I want to make it 21.
This is your 20th elegans in 4 years and you'd be happy for it to live a year?!?!?
Please reconsider purchasing another elegans.
Also, you may not realize it but your tone conveys a very callous and unfeeling approach to the lives of the creatures you've killed.
Old 06/25/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

this is one of the few corals that you don't see the LFS have in their main display tank. I used to have one, and able to keep it for over 5 months then suddenly it's bleached and die in 2 days. i have no idea why? same to the fox coral.
Old 06/25/2007, 01:13 PM
PKSN

Did you really buy 20 of them? Did you really not know about the problems surrounding these corals in the last 15 years?
Old 06/25/2007, 01:35 PM
RainbowAcro

Tell me your kidding.
Old 06/25/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Elegance used to be the starter LPS back in early 90's, lots of reefers back them were able to keep them for long period of time, 2-5 years in captivity or were able to rescue a half dead/tissue receded with half of skeletal showing into a complete healthy one in matter of 6 months and double in size in 2 years. And most of us back then only used regular T12 as source of light.

But all of the sudden in the mid to late 90's, this particular coral would only last one week to a month the most, just go through those FAMA magzines back then, or Julia Sprung's Reef Note vol. 1 and 2, you will know what I am talking about.
Old 06/25/2007, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thales
Did you really buy 20 of them? Did you really not know about the problems surrounding these corals in the last 15 years?
Yeah about that many over the years I see them all the time at the LFS and I keep thinking I could keep one of these alive. I have the right water cond. and all other corals do well in my tank just the Elegance which I can't seem to keep alive. I have hear of reefer who kept them for over 10 years.LG in oakland has tank raise one at $200 but can't get myself to buy one
Old 06/25/2007, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwiv
Tell me your kidding.
I wish I was. I don't order any but if I do happen to see a nice one I pick it up.
Old 06/25/2007, 02:10 PM
AEFW Assasinator

If that was the one that was purchased on Taravel then it was a really nice coral and was huge. I considered buying it that day, but hesitated after the last fiasco.
Old 06/25/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member.

Here is my pink tip elegance. I've had it 5 months or so and it's more than doubled in size!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 06/25/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
LG in oakland has tank raise one at $200 but can't get myself to buy one
If you are willing to spend money on replacing these corals 20 times, why not spend the money on a tank raised one? It would be much cheaper than going through a few more dead corals.
Old 06/25/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Definitely do more research about them before you contemplate about purchasing another one. That's a lot of corals to go through, especially if they're all the same kind.
Old 06/25/2007, 04:13 PM
PKSN

Quote:
Yeah about that many over the years I see them all the time at the LFS and I keep thinking I could keep one of these alive. I have the right water cond. and all other corals do well in my tank just the Elegance which I can't seem to keep alive. I have hear of reefer who kept them for over 10 years.LG in oakland has tank raise one at $200 but can't get myself to buy one
Have you read about the problems people started having with them in the mid 90's though today? If you haven't you should, and if you didn't you should have - it would have saved you buying 20 corals only to have them die. You water conditions have little if anything to do with its health.
Old 06/25/2007, 06:20 PM
Resident physicist.

Quote:
I see them all the time at the LFS and I keep thinking I could keep one of these alive.
If you're talking about LFS in SF then there is a very good reason why you see them all, and forgive me for saying this (please flame me via PM if you must), it's a very older Asian/Cultural thing to have temporary pretty in a tank.. if it dies.. ehh who cares I can buy another and I'll have pretty. Basically the "Hey it's just like buying cut flowers" mind set. Literally lots of people keep buying them, so of course they're going to keep them in stock.

Now before you click that PM button to flame me with the "how dare that white boy say bad stuff about us!" it was an older Asian guy that's been around the hobby for much longer than most anyone here who has seen it constantly over the years, and told me.

So stick with Bookfish's advice, don't buy them, after 20 shots you should realize there's more to it than "Oooh I have the right water conditions"
Old 06/25/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jedininja
If you are willing to spend money on replacing these corals 20 times, why not spend the money on a tank raised one? It would be much cheaper than going through a few more dead corals.
I would it look anything like the one I found but it's kind of plain.
Old 06/25/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pv1191
Here is my pink tip elegance. I've had it 5 months or so and it's more than doubled in size!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
i hate you
Old 06/25/2007, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thales
Have you read about the problems people started having with them in the mid 90's though today? If you haven't you should, and if you didn't you should have - it would have saved you buying 20 corals only to have them die. You water conditions have little if anything to do with its health.
I will have to look for that thread.I have heard about the problem.but I guess I hope to come across one that will surive.
Old 06/25/2007, 06:36 PM
PKSN

Quote:
I will have to look for that thread.I have heard about the problem.but I guess I hope to come across one that will surive.
Thats the part about the hobby that I hate - everyone thinks that they will be able to do what others aren't able to do. I guess I can understand it with one or two specimens, but 20 seems more than a bit extreme for my taste.

BTW, there are about a million threads about it, and 5 months with growth doesn't necessarily mean that the coral will make it to a year or more.

Where were you getting these things? I would stop shopping there. If they are bringing in that many corals whose death rates are well know to be dismal, I wouldn't want to support them. YMMV.
Old 06/25/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Wayland, I was able to keep one alive for a while(couple of years atleats), the main thing is keep it well fed and dont give it too much lights. But with the bad history behind this corals, its best not to buy them since the survival rate isn't very good.

SFphysics, I dont think its the Asian thing bud, the cut flowers mentality is everywhere

Thales, maybe one of the thing that clubs can do is to promote from within to keep members form buying such corals with extreme poor survival rate, this way maybe we can help stop or slow down the harvest of such corals ? its a long shot but you never know right ?

Last edited by northbay-reefer; 06/25/2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06/25/2007, 06:37 PM
PKSN

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsuphysics
If you're talking about LFS in SF then there is a very good reason why you see them all, and forgive me for saying this (please flame me via PM if you must), it's a very older Asian/Cultural thing to have temporary pretty in a tank.. if it dies.. ehh who cares I can buy another and I'll have pretty. Basically the "Hey it's just like buying cut flowers" mind set. Literally lots of people keep buying them, so of course they're going to keep them in stock.

Now before you click that PM button to flame me with the "how dare that white boy say bad stuff about us!" it was an older Asian guy that's been around the hobby for much longer than most anyone here who has seen it constantly over the years, and told me.

So stick with Bookfish's advice, don't buy them, after 20 shots you should realize there's more to it than "Oooh I have the right water conditions"
Sadly, the cut flower mentality of coral keeping is still with us in force, and it's always spreading.