Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 07:01 PM
Chillin'

OT: It's snowing!!!

In Flagstaff... W00T!

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 12/10/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

sweet. Been a decent amount of snow last couple weeks, right?

I'd like to go up to Snowbowl after it's open this year and maybe try to learn to ski or snowboard.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:03 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Yeah baby! I'm gettin the skis waxed and headed up before the NY. Either Snowbowl or Sunrise, not sure yet. Partying in Flag is a heck of a lot more fun than Pinetop!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:56 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Can anyone tell how long it takes to get to Snowbowl from Phoenix? Gilbert/Mesa, in particular. IIRC we got to Flag in two hours, not sure how much further Snowbowl is.

Thanks!

David

Old 12/11/2007, 01:02 AM
Xenia Farmer

It has been a few years since I went to snowbowl, but from memory, I think it was around 30 minutes outside of Flagstaff. I love going to snowbowl on a work day. There is virtually no crowds.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vanmle
It has been a few years since I went to snowbowl, but from memory, I think it was around 30 minutes outside of Flagstaff. I love going to snowbowl on a work day. There is virtually no crowds.
id have to agree its probably about 30 mins outside flag, just hope you dont get stuck behind a super slow driver going up the mountain. by the way i saw snowbowl is opening up this thursday
Old 12/11/2007, 01:22 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Cool, thanks guys. Sunrise opens Friday. I'm thinking of just running up there for the day!

edit - to flag for the day.

Old 12/11/2007, 10:15 AM
Chillin'

I would like to retract my previous excitment... Stop snowing damnit! I got to get to a final on the other side of campus and it's snowing like a biatch! Ahahah guess you can't always have it your way. Saw some cars slide off the road, that was fun.

War does not determine who is right but only who is left.

Cody
Old 12/11/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

A couple friends and I are heading to Snowbowl next Thursday. I'm going to try my luck at snowboarding. I've never skied or snowboarded before. Luckily it's my birthday that day so I get a free all day lift pass, and I only have to pay for rental
Old 12/11/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Crrichey -- I feel your pain. In the four years I was there, I think NAU closed twice. One of those times was when my neighbors and I fought for an hour fifteen to get from Lake Mary Road to campus for our 8 AM class. We left at 7 so we were late. They cancelled all class after 10 AM. Bah!

"Can't handle the you too phrase..."

Does 2.5 gallons count as a femtoreef?
Old 12/11/2007, 06:00 PM
Xenia Farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
Cool, thanks guys. Sunrise opens Friday. I'm thinking of just running up there for the day!

edit - to flag for the day.
If you are going during some workday, let me know. I'll head up there with you. Haven't gone skiing for a while so I am a little rusty. But then, I was never very good at it to start.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Talking

Yes Its Snowing!!!!!!
I am headed to Utah Tomorrow:0)
Going to be there for four days and hope it keeps on Snowing!
We are going to Brighton, Solitude and Snow Bird:0)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/11/2007, 11:30 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Quote:
Originally posted by vanmle
If you are going during some workday, let me know. I'll head up there with you. Haven't gone skiing for a while so I am a little rusty. But then, I was never very good at it to start.
Oh, I'll definitely take you up on that. I'm getting Miguel up this year, but he'll be in all day ski school. I plan on taking lots of day trips this winter, if they keep a good base. Don't worry, if he goes he'll be out on the way up, and probably so tired after a day on the slopes - on the way back as well. I'm gonna pick up some funky parabolics this year. My buddy went from 210 straights to 165 parabolics and will never go back.

Diana fractured a vertebrae in her neck in Beaver Creek two years ago (not as bad as it sounds, but still pretty bad), and no one skis in AZ so I need a buddy!

Old 12/12/2007, 12:27 AM
Premium Member

I'm headed up to Sunrise Sun/Mon with a bunch of guys from my work. I'm gonna sleep with my goggles on tonight!
Old 12/12/2007, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

Yup...we got some good snow. My buds up on the mtn say its looking pretty sweet and will be an epic first day.

If anyone coming up wants to meet some Flag reefers for a frosty brew somewhere give a shout. We've tried to get together to roll down the hill for a FRAG meeting but haven't all made it yet. It'd be great to put some faces to the names of our southern brethren.

Cheers and happy boarding/skiing.

Mark
Old 12/12/2007, 09:00 AM
Industry Professional

I Win FRAG first tracks! It was Vail on monday, on the way to Copper mountain right now, Breck on friday, and maybe flag on monday. Anyone know some good stashes at Copper they don't mind revealing? Snow has been great, a little wet but great riding, it should be a great year for powder hounds.

Thank the snow gods for this, Snowbowl really needed it. I remember hearing they may need to close the resort if they don't have a good year. They got so much snow they need help digging out the lodge!

See you on the slopes!

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:13 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Awe you lucky dawg! I grew up skiing the Summit - Copper was the best local mountain in CO. What an awesome trip man - I love BC but it sounds like you left the area already. **jealous**

A FRAG trip would be great. I'd love to have a some beers with the local reefers and we love the bars in Flag. We'll leave the kids in Gilbert.

Old 12/12/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

I hope I enjoy snowboarding and catch on quick. Especially if I end up moving to CO next year... I've always wanted to be able to ride.

I am glad Snowbowl is getting good snow this year. Would suck if they had to close.

Snow in last 24 hours
12 - 16"
Storm total
36"
Settled snow depth at 9,500 feet
34"
Settled snow depth at 10,800 feet
54"
Season to date snowfall
63"
Old 12/12/2007, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Wink

WOW Skip I'm Jealous

January is going to be Tahoe can't wait!!!!
Old 12/12/2007, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Ditto Salamander, we've gotten GREAT snow. I live out by Snowbowl Road and got around 16 inches at my house.

Going during the work week would be ideal to avoid the crowds. Enjoy it now--it's so unpredictable up here, you never know when it will dry out. I suspect conditions will be about as good as it gets at Snowbowl, especially after a few not great years.

There is still close to a foot on the ground in Flag, but roads are in good shape.
Old 12/12/2007, 07:06 PM
Industry Professional

What a day!

David, I should have listened to you about Copper a long time ago, great mountain, not too many flats or catwalks, wonderful vibe, and great people. Truly a local mountain.

We had a light dusting of snow during the day, lots of nice little stashes where you could pull a few turns, moguls weren't too tight so they were actually fun on a board. I highly recommend Copper to anyone headed this way.

As much as I love colorado resorts, I can't wait to get to snowbowl and ride my local mountain.

P.S. I did make a few powder turns for the rest of y'all.

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

I had a few buddies board the the mtn yesterday (hiking up to the inner basin and riding down) and said it was perfect snow. I was up the mtn a little bit today and had snow way past my knees. Too bad I've never learned to board...
Old 12/13/2007, 03:14 AM
Xenia Farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
Oh, I'll definitely take you up on that. I'm getting Miguel up this year, but he'll be in all day ski school. I plan on taking lots of day trips this winter, if they keep a good base. Don't worry, if he goes he'll be out on the way up, and probably so tired after a day on the slopes - on the way back as well. I'm gonna pick up some funky parabolics this year. My buddy went from 210 straights to 165 parabolics and will never go back.

Diana fractured a vertebrae in her neck in Beaver Creek two years ago (not as bad as it sounds, but still pretty bad), and no one skis in AZ so I need a buddy!
No worries about kids. I have nieces and nephews and I absolutely love them. Let's head out b4 the end of the year if the snow is good.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:46 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

I heard its DUMPING up there again! We went up the week of Christmas (sorry van, it was the whole family and then some) and had a GREAT time. Miguel went to ski school and loved it but doesn't want to do the old person sport - snowboarding next time!

Anyone who wants some good skiing should go up in January - they have a great base. The lift lines were a breeze and even though its a tiny mountain (only 4 lifts) the slopes actually weren't bad. Fortunately the big chair was open the entire time, but it was 2 degrees at the top!!!

Really impressed. Flag is fun also, some fun restaurants and bars. GO SUPPORT THE LOCAL ECONOMY.

Old 01/08/2008, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I went the week before Christmas. It was really nice up there. First time snowboarding, got pretty beat up. I'd like to go again now that they've gotten a bunch more snow, but I'm quite broke at the moment.