Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

What's the status on Coral and Fish Center?

Are they out of business, or did they relocate?

Unfortunately, I had about $60 dollars left in prepaid RO water credit... not sure if I'll be able to recoup that. =/

Anyone have the scoop on their whereabouts?
Old 11/21/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Is that the place right near the South Coast Plaza? Thought that was the name of the place. Looks like they were either just setting up, or just shutting down, but I thought it was pretty crappy. (again, maybe just getting things going.)
Old 11/21/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

I think 6-8 months ago, they were doing really well. The store looked absolutely amazing. Last I heard, they were planning on moving to a different location...possibly South Orange County area. Haven't heard a peep about them on the RC boards lately.
Old 11/21/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

they had a "going out of business/ were relocating " sale about a month ago. They said they were close to signing a lease somewhere in South OC.

"Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"

"Were discussing man,...you have your wrong opinion i have my right one. Its called communication." Mac Inger
Old 11/21/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Looks like they will open this weekend. Have bunch of LR, LS and misc stuff for sale. ( From other site SoCalReef)
Old 11/21/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

I THINK ALL THEY HAVE LEFT IS LIVE ROCKS AND SOME LEFTOVER TANK SUPPLIES. I DON'T THINK YOU ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO RECOUP THE $60 BRO... THAT SUCKS.
Old 11/21/2007, 11:57 PM

I think you CAN recoup your $60. Frank is a great guy and I'm sure he will honor the credit...... It's just a matter of finding out where his new store will open. Additionally, he posts here once in a while.
Old 11/22/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Yea, no doubt Frank is a good guy. I spoke with him and his wife a few times, and he's more than fair when conducting business. I was just wondering whether or not he decided to continue the business and move to a different location, or if he decided to shut down operations completely. Last I saw of the location in Costa Mesa, his doors were locked and most of his inventory was taken down.
Old 11/22/2007, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xtm
Frank is a great guy and I'm sure he will honor the credit......
i agree he is a nice guy as long as you respect him he will respect you
Old 11/22/2007, 09:35 AM
Rubberman

Nothing in those posts leads me to think there will be a new store. Selling off equipment at prices less than replacement cost would make little sense.

SteveU
Old 11/22/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

i doubt that they are going to open this weekend
Old 11/28/2007, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

Quick summary for those parties interested:

Still working on finding a new location. Just selling off excess stuff to pay the bills. We are keeping only what we need. If you have a water card, we'll honor it, and we are also offering refunds (minus usage) on water cards. For a refund: call the shop, leave a message if we don't answer with details like how to contact you and your name so we can figure out the amount.

We'd LIKE to open a new store as soon as possible, but with retail rent being so high, it's tough finding the right match. If we rush, nobody wins.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying just being a hobbyist for the time being. =)

Frank
Old 11/28/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

I just met Frank and his wife for the first time, GREAT PEOPLE. Frank gives good deal and he still have lot of stuff for sale.
Old 11/28/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Shopped CFC MANY times and found Frank & his wife VERY helpful. Great ppl! Hope you find a place soon!
Old 11/28/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Shout out to frank...YOURE AWESOME...lol...hes prolly going to think im crazy now...lol
Old 11/29/2007, 02:25 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the show of support! We're always impressed by how cool some of you are.

If any of you find a good spot, just let me know - I'm open ears until we 'land'.
Old 11/29/2007, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

Yep, I never wrote a review for frank's store. Which was the original store that got me into this hobby in the first. place. and i must say. He was one of the better guys to deal with in the OC, always had great stuff in his store. and was very welcoming. =) hope he opens another one.

Hey Frank open up a shop in Santa Barbara =))) lol not too much competition. and you can charge 40 bucks for a cleaner shrimp lol

esp miss some of the ppl he had there. had some great customer service there.
Old 11/29/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CFC
Quick summary for those parties interested:

Still working on finding a new location. Just selling off excess stuff to pay the bills. We are keeping only what we need. If you have a water card, we'll honor it, and we are also offering refunds (minus usage) on water cards. For a refund: call the shop, leave a message if we don't answer with details like how to contact you and your name so we can figure out the amount.

We'd LIKE to open a new store as soon as possible, but with retail rent being so high, it's tough finding the right match. If we rush, nobody wins.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying just being a hobbyist for the time being. =)

Frank

Thanks for the update, Frank! Once again...you and your wife are really great ppl. I'm waiting for you guys to open shop somewhere in the OC area so I can pick up some supplies!
Old 11/29/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

^^^ South OC??
Old 11/29/2007, 04:10 PM
Reef adict

w00t bring a store to south oc we need it! reefroom sucks and sandbar is too small
Old 11/30/2007, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

its all about north OC...lol...
i think somewhere in the middle is good...just not irvine...that city is so strict
Old 11/30/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coast2coast7390
its all about north OC...lol...
i think somewhere in the middle is good...just not irvine...that city is so strict

That, and the price for storefront space is ridiculous... anything south of El Toro on the 5 FWY is reasonably priced.

Frank, I don't know if you've looked into mixed-use office space down in Lake Forest or Mission Viejo area, but office/warehouse space is dirt cheap down there. You may be better off not getting a retail space.
Old 11/30/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Yes do something like Coral Oasis, If you have good service and your store is nice and stock up good, people will come, no matter where your store location.
It not like restaurant that you need good location for that.
I think the office/warehouse is a good place to open fish store.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

this is the number for the "store"
949-910-9145