Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

Berghia Nudibranchs and Aptasia

ok...so ive been reading about these little guys and was just looking to get some feedback on them. lately my tank broke out with aptasia and i want a solid cure for it, because the aptasia control juice only works for so long, these sound like the way to go. just a few questions...what is care like for them? how well do they actually work? and for my 30g cube w/ 25g sump how many would i need to be effective? i cant stand aptasia!! btw sorry for the double post...
Old 11/30/2007, 10:46 AM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

http://www.saltyunderground.com/ or peppermint shrimps
Old 11/30/2007, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

I bought 3 for my 90 and had all of my aptasia gone within a week. I don't know if they're still there but Aptasia has never come back.

My cuz has used peppermint shrimps and they work well for him.
Old 11/30/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

i actually have 2 pepermint shrimps but they dont seem very effective...maybe i just need some more of them?
Old 11/30/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

i've tried peppermint shrimp in the past but without much success. repeated doses of joe's juice worked for a while but i'm starting get some again.
Old 11/30/2007, 01:49 PM
Moderator Clone

My story is in this thread.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hlight=berghia

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 11/30/2007, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

anyone in OC got some berghias? My peppermints aren't doing much
Old 11/30/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Klein's butterfly fish was a God send for me. Eats every aiptasia, and doesn't bother any corals. Ugly fish, but he's never coming out of my tank.
Peppermints are hit and miss.
I tried bergia, and they can either be pretty sensitive and die off, or become food for other predators. Too bad, they're cool looking really! I tried a few, the worked on one or two rocks, then I never saw 'em again, nor saw any more progress.
Old 12/01/2007, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

some people from MASLAC did a group buy on the berghias, I bought...4 or 6, split them into two tanks, never saw them again, and the population of aips never went down. Talking with everyone else, none of the berghias did a damn thing... Peps are a crap shoot also (but Ive had better luck) Ive bought some from a wholesaler, put them in a small cube with a few pieces of rock with aips on them and in a day or two the anemones are gone. I put the peps in different tanks and the aiptasia has dwindled/disapeared. I bought more peps from the same wholesaler, did the same thing in a small tank with rock and aips... nothing. The shrimp don't seem to like aiptasia, but they are the friendlies pepermints Ive ever seen... I know of this one tank that is infested with aiptasia, kalkwasser and joes juice every week... still aiptasia. I then noticed that the large sailfin tang likes to eat aiptasia that are covered with kalk! Little pieces go floating by and then 10 more aips... I picked up a copperbaded butterfly, for two weeks he didn't do much, 3rd and 4th week he wiped out aips on left side of tang, 5th and 6th week wiped out the rest of the tank (except for bottom right corner where a very large and mean maroon clown lives) and learned to beg for food. It is now the fattest butterfly Ive seen.
Old 12/01/2007, 11:51 AM
Rubberman

4-5 years ago I spent near $100 on the berghias. Biggest waste of money to date. Peppermint shrimp, while not everyone you see in the stores will eat them for me have been the best bet. Keep in mind that there are several shrimp that go by the common name but not all of them eat aiptasia.

SteveU
Old 12/01/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

cool...seems like alot of mixed reviews, i guess ill just have to keep dosing the ap control and maybe try out some nudis, just to test my luck. otherwise it sounds like i might be tryin out a butterfly. btw...whats a decent price for nudis, like $10-15 per?
Old 12/02/2007, 01:03 AM
Gold Star Recipient

just keep kalk pasting them. eventually they go away.
Old 12/02/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

sweet ok thanks guys appreciate the input and stories...Anemone, what a story.