Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2007, 01:53 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Well, this would be true of all the sand sifting gobies really... you need to make sure your rocks are secure.
Old 10/18/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

So then sand sifting gobies are bad for a reef tank? It's better to have nassarius snails? I love sifter gobies, very cool to watch them work, and was planning on getting one for my reef. But I'd rather have function over assumement.
Old 11/15/2007, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DamnPepShrimp
So then sand sifting gobies are bad for a reef tank? It's better to have nassarius snails? I love sifter gobies, very cool to watch them work, and was planning on getting one for my reef. But I'd rather have function over assumement.
x2 on this question...

I am looking for something to help clean my sand bed... My nass snails suck... A sand sifting goby would be really cool i think, but from what I have heard, they are bad??

My tank is a 30 long softie reef...

should i just get a bunch more nass snails?
Old 11/15/2007, 03:43 AM
El Jefe de WRS

They are sort of like mandarins... they sift the sand, but for pods and yummy worms and things... they arent detrivores. This means that they need a good amount of sand per goby to stay well fed (unless you can get one fed enough with just feedings). But this behavior can deplete a sand bed of the beneficial organisms that help really keep the sand bed clean (pods). So technically, I dont think they are a good thing.

A 30L? Nah... too small even for a crabeye.
Old 11/15/2007, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

I love my diamond goby... he's about 4.5" and keeps my sand sparkling. he eats all prepared foods as well if they make it down towards the bottom before the other fish get to them.

he has his little burrow right in the center of the tank under a large rock, he couldn't have picked a better place!

What's green and fuzzy, has 4 legs, and if it fell out of a tree it could kill you?

A pool table.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.
Old 11/15/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

White Goby
Old 11/15/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Diamond gobies are fantastic. Mine keeps the sand clean and eats whatever is thrown in the tank. They do tend to make messes from time to time, but their personality wins out, IMO.

Just make sure your tank is covered, if there's a way out, they'll usually find it. Notorious carpet surfers.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:35 AM
Where'd my check go?!

Find a diamond/sand goby that eats prepared food.... problem solved. He will sift your sand, and will also eat whatever foods sink to the bottom. To be safe, you can even offer live brine shrimp... you can get those for CHEAP if they are available in your area... I used to buy like 2 shot-glass worth of them for less than $5.... and that was a CRAPLOAD!

Just be advised that they tend to go carpet-surfing! Invest in some netting or something. HTH

-TJ

-TJ
Old 11/15/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Ya i have an egg crate cover...

Would a two spot goby be a good choice for a 30 long?
Old 11/15/2007, 12:32 PM
Nothing to put here

Not a fish, but I think cucumbers do ao great job on larger tanks (75g+) with established beds.

My Watchman goby does a good job of keeping a 4"x4" patch of sand right outside of his cave clean.
Old 11/15/2007, 12:36 PM
Psuedo Member

rainfords gobies are really cool looking and do a great job sifting. nicer looking than diamonds.imo
Old 11/15/2007, 12:38 PM
Psuedo Member

sand gobies are reef safe. never had a problem.
Old 11/15/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

sand

i had a sand sifter one time but gobies don't last to long try a star fish sand sifter
Old 11/15/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

I have a couple mural goby. That's my recommendations.
Old 11/15/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Cerith snails are another great thing to have. They eat algae and detritus and bury themselves in the sand sometimes. Plus they will not eat your microfauna. A brittle or serpent star would be good too (depending on the size of the tank of course). I avoid sand sifting things.