Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

I think if I came back as a kitty, I'd want to be adopted into your family.
Old 10/05/2007, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Cap, again my condolences. Although it is of minor comfort at a time like this, keep in mind there are so much many more in the world that do share empathy than those few who would abuse or be humanly incapabable of offering it. For those few, they suffer enough in their wretched lives.
Old 10/05/2007, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

So sorry to hear of your loss... You're right, this isn't a time for drama and issues...
Old 10/05/2007, 07:21 PM
Reefer

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's always so very hard.

Joyce
Old 10/05/2007, 08:26 PM
So little time

Ah man, sorry to hear about the loss Bruce. Pets become part of the family and hard to deal with when you lose them.
Old 10/05/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

vergaboy got banned again...what an idiot...
Old 10/05/2007, 09:51 PM

Man that's horrible. Very sorry to hear about your loss. At least you can rest assured knowning he's in a better place now and you provided him with a good full life. Kudos to you...
Old 10/05/2007, 10:09 PM
Worker Drone

Wow, everyone... I am very touched by your supportive thoughts and comments.

I was proud of him, and proud to have been there for him all along.

Thank you again all so very much for your kind words. It is most greatly appreciated.

Be an IT consultant!
Old 10/05/2007, 10:36 PM
August TFR Relay '07

i'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your family member and i know it hurts like heck . its only been 5months since we put down our 12yr old dobie and i still miss him like crazy. this was our last evening together out by the basketball hoop but he could no longer try to steal the ball...

i hope you cherish this time with your family, i know it helped me a lot .
Old 10/05/2007, 11:09 PM
Is it nap time yet?????

Sorry for your loss Bruce

"In the Torah it says "love thy neighbor as thy self". The Buddha says there is no "self". So maybe you are off the hook."
Old 10/05/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

I'm never had to put an animal down and I am just curious when you know it's time to do something like that. Is it from the suggestion of a veterinarian, the animal's pain... what is it that alerts you it's time to let them go?

Sorry for your loss Bruce.
Old 10/05/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

i was kind of wondering the same...i mean...why not just let him go when its his time...naturally
Old 10/05/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Old 10/05/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Bruce - sorry for your loss.

Here is a replacement kitten for ya

Old 10/05/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Bruce, sounds like you and one of your best friends have spent a wonderful 20+ years together! Of all the happy times of bringing joy and comfort to each other is what good friends and pets are for. Minimizing pain is just one of those forms of love that can be very difficult at times.

Sometimes it's our non-human friends that keep us in our perspectives with life. Sometimes other peoples actions just aren't even that important in the scope of things.

Hang in there with all the good thoughts and try not to let someone else's bad actions try to circumvent who you really are.
Old 10/06/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

for those asking when it's time.....

As a pet owner... you just know. When I put my rot down, he was in pain, I knew it. He was having trouble getting around, breathing heavy, and I could just see it in his eyes. Vets will usually tell you you did the right thing.... it's hard to explain, but you just know. Naturally isn't the way.... not when they're in pain and suffering. It's the last act of friendship you can bestow on your friend. I miss my dog so much, hated even typing this.
Old 10/06/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TrojanScott

As a pet owner... you just know. When I put my rot down, he was in pain, I knew it. He was having trouble getting around, breathing heavy, and I could just see it in his eyes. Vets will usually tell you you did the right thing.... it's hard to explain, but you just know. Naturally isn't the way.... not when they're in pain and suffering. It's the last act of friendship you can bestow on your friend. I miss my dog so much, hated even typing this.
So true.
Old 10/06/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

I've recently had to put down Sadie, my friend for 12 years. We found her tied up to a tree, malnourished and scared of people when I was six years old. We took her home and she became my most constant and loving friend. That story about Rainbow Bridge really touched me.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 10/06/2007, 06:24 AM
Network Samurai

Thanks for your story and also for sharing what others may not have seen on SoCaliReefs. I caught the tail end of it when I went online yesterday morning. I didnt know the context until now. Glad I never did business with that guy.

And I'm sorry for your loss. Ive had to put the family pet down when I was 16 years old 'cause my stepmother didnt want to be bothered. I was honored to help our dog out of his pain, and forever ****ed at my stepmother (for that and other reasons!).

Now go get a new kitten!
Old 10/06/2007, 07:41 AM
Just an Average Joe

In my 43 years, I've experienced both the pleasure and heartache of seeing our dogs come and go. Its something that you can never get used to; the next death seems to hurt even greater than the previous one. Perhaps as we age and recognize more meaning to life, we thus mourn its passing with increasing severity. I've unfortunately experienced this recently.
Bruce, I wish you all the best during this time of pain
Old 10/06/2007, 02:49 PM
Worker Drone

Quote:
Originally posted by tfp
i'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your family member and i know it hurts like heck . its only been 5months since we put down our 12yr old dobie and i still miss him like crazy. this was our last evening together out by the basketball hoop but he could no longer try to steal the ball...

i hope you cherish this time with your family, i know it helped me a lot .
It's been a nice diversion, actually. Last night we played Uno with Simpsons playing cards (and everyone needed to try to make a voice or comment of the character card they played. It was pretty funny).

This morning was soccer for my youngest and again a nice diversion.

I understand and appreciate your sense of loss. That photo says a lot. I extend my condolences to you, as well.

Thanks for the kind words.

Be an IT consultant!
Old 10/06/2007, 03:02 PM
Worker Drone

Quote:
Originally posted by codybug
Bruce - sorry for your loss.

Here is a replacement kitten for ya

A little big for me, thanks. Besides, you can't replace one cat with another. They all have different personalities. The first batch of cats we had (which he was in) were hands down the best cats EVER.

This second batch? They're more house guest and rabble-rouser than family... But they're still "our family"...

And if I want tigers or lions, there is a sanctuary for them not 1 mile down my street. We go to fund raisers and such for them on occasion...

Be an IT consultant!
Old 10/06/2007, 03:22 PM
Worker Drone

Quote:
Originally posted by TrojanScott

I agree. When it looks like they are getting more and more uncomfortable, and especially when they are unable to control their bowels (especially if they are indoor animals - that makes tensions in the house rise and it just isn't good for anyone if it goes on too often or for very long. He had been doing it for probably 3 years; we kept on top of it, but it was a major hassle when he started abandoning the litter box exclusively)). He would have times when his joints were stiff and it was very obvious that he was in a fair deal of pain. Winter is also coming, and we knew it would be much harder on him this year than last.

We had hoped that he would pass in his sleep, however he just kept on going. His mind was still VERY sharp, however his body just had enough other issues going on that made the decision compassionate and reasonable.

I hear of people just letting their animals die; most do, in great part, I think, because they can't bring themselves to actually commit themselves to doing such a painful chore. Again, that is part of my implied contract with them. I am there for them, always. Money has never paid a part of my decisions when it comes to animal care, however having horses will make me examine that position a bit more (spent 5K on a pony last year in a single month... OWWWW.... Part of it is that it is my daughters, so...). For some, they look at the dollars pretty much exclusively; to me, it's almost the opposite. If you don't have it, that's one thing. But if I can swing it, I always take care of the animal if the pain involved with their surgery and their quality of life afterwards and their expected or hoped life span remaining... You get the idea. Nothing is concrete; depends on the situation. I always try to be compassionate above everything else, however....

Nice post. Thanks for the feedback...

Be an IT consultant!
Old 10/06/2007, 04:54 PM
Moderator Clone

First-

Bruce, sorry for your loss. We put down our 15 year old Golden Retriever a few years ago, and remember acutely what it felt like.

Second-

Let's not talk about other folks - members or not. That's not what RC is about. Also, experience has shown us that discussing other BBs here really isn't productive - so let's not. Thanks!

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 10/06/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

whats a BBs?