Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 05:10 PM
Caribe Piranha

Question The thruth about Blue/Green Chromis?

I have read a lot about Blue/Green Chromis becoming a pain in the tank after a while and also being aggressive against each other and sometimes even considered a regular damsel since they belong to the same family but so do clowns right?

Anyway, I would like to know your experience on keeping a single Blue/Green Chromis in a reef with peaceful tank mates.

Old 12/06/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

a single one is fine, its when you try a group they tend to take each other out. Sometimes people have no problems with them but alot end up losing almost their whole group through out time.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:43 PM
Mouth Pipetting

My chromis get along well with my peaceful reef community.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

I have 3 that are all mellow in my community tank. 2 have paired up and the 3rd tends to hang out with my juvenile true percs. But they frequently all school up together and there's never been any aggression among them.
Old 12/06/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yoboyjdizz
a single one is fine, its when you try a group they tend to take each other out. Sometimes people have no problems with them but alot end up losing almost their whole group through out time.
This is what always happens to me. No problems what so ever once I get down to 1 individual.

I wonder why all the literature says they are a schooling fish and should be kept in groups if this is the case.
Old 12/06/2007, 07:29 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

I don't think I have ever seen one act aggressively toward other fish unless they are closely related.
Old 12/06/2007, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

I have 7 in a 180g. Only lost one who jumped. If you get them all about the same size, then you should be fine.

More current = less agression between them = better success.

I have a Wavebox and 2 x 6100, they love it.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

I have 6 that school together with my Anthias and they look great. My theory is that they have to have something else harassing them and then their busy trying to save their own a**'s and don't have time to pick on each other.
I have a few Tangs and a Flame Angel that keep them in line.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

I had a group of four for about 14 months and then one day they turned and I'm down to 2 I have lots of tangs and lots of flow and I thought that they all got along fine... one day they just kinda snapped.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:56 PM
Evan in colorado

I started with a school. It widdled down to one, but it died after a while because my clown kept picking on it endlessly.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

I've had mine for over 3 years now. He was my QT fish, he basically kept it cycled. About 6 months ago I moved he into my display and he's been fine.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

I'm looking into Chromis viridis too but am also deterred by the frequent reports I hear about their aggression among each other.

I don't have any yet, but two pieces of information I've gathered which may be valuable to keeping them successfully are:

1. Feed often. Several times a day. Just like Anthias.

2. You need something in your aquarium to keep them in line; something more aggressive than themselves, like a Dwarf Angelfish or another semi-aggressive Damselfish.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

These guys are hard to get to school I buy 6 of them and in less than a month down to 2.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

I have a Clarkii clown that chases these guys around sometimes so maybe that's why I haven't seen any aggression among them.
Old 12/07/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

i've never seen a chromis go after another fish besides another chromis. I had 3 and am down to 1. They seem to just kill each other off, but i've never seen it be aggressive towards another fish. Matter of fact I think mine is in love with my two clown fish. It is always trying to hang out with them and alot of times will sleep next to them.
Old 12/07/2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Before I had the Tunzes, they would hide in the rocks and chase each other. After the Tunzes, they school up current and switch directions with the current. Less agression when they are playing in the current.
Old 12/07/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

i have 6, and they are fine.

my friend had only 1 in his tank for a very long time(years) with other tank mates without any problems.