Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

What kind of blade used ...........?

What kind of saw blade do you use to cut acrylic. And where can I find some acrylic scraps blue or black ? Does anyone have an rr overflow from a broken tank they will sell me ? Thanks in advance

JIM
Old 01/11/2008, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

I cut acrylic sheet for sump baffles on a standard table saw blade. IIRC it was only 3/16" or 1/4" acrylic and I got a pretty rough cut. It worked for baffles but probably not what you are looking for on an overflow.

I have also cut it with a standard hand saw. Mixed results with that. A lot of elbow grease, a lot of binding, and a fair amount of cracking. Table saw went a lot smoother.

I purchased a holesaw from Craftics (www.craftics.com). Very fast shipping but I see their table saw blades start at $56 and go waaaayy up from there.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:30 AM
OT Slaughter House

I use a metal/plastic blade. The more teeth the better....

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:53 AM
Discontented Reefer

I think I have seen recommendations to use 80 tooth or more blades. My current table saw blade is a 10" 80 tooth carbide tipped blade I got from Harbor Freight for pretty cheap and it cuts acrylic very nicely.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:32 PM
Have Membrane,Will Travel

90 tooth freud blade from HD. "Ultra Fine Finishing" For laminate and plastics..

HTH,
RandalB
Old 01/11/2008, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

I use a laser to cut my acrylic.