Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Help with drilling a tank

Ok I will be picking up my tank this weekend it is a 60 gallon cube 24x24x24. I want (need) to make it RR so. I want to drill a hole in the tank for the over flow . Now I am pretty handy but just want to talk and get input from people that have done it before. Does anyone know someone local that might do it for cheap ? does anyone know where to buy a diomond bit ? And is it there a better place to drill ? I would like to put in the on the bottom in the middle towards the back for the over flow to be centered in the back of the tank. THanks for the info . Jim
Old 01/09/2008, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Jim,

I drilled 5 holes for a closed loop on my 44g tank. I got the bits from Diamond bits

Make sure the bottom of your tank is not Tempered Glass it will shatter if it is. A lot of tanks have a bottom that is tempered.

Leave at least one inch of glass to the sides of the tank.

Here's a step by step Drilling tank thread

I used plumbers putty to build the dam instead of the plastic ring he used.

Good luck, take pictures, I wish I had.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:17 PM

I have drilled dozens and dozens of holes and have several bits, get them from lau*** on e-bay. My 2" schedule 80 bit was under $15.
Use wesson oil as a lube, works best. the damm idea is nice, but I haven't used it since the 1st couple holes. Slow and easy. Stright up and down, light pressure and you are good.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

And what about getting some bulkheads anywhere local to buy those .
Old 01/09/2008, 12:45 PM
OT Aluminum Chef

the only places for bulkheads (semi close to you) are Exotic Aquatics, Reef Plus and Aquarium Adventure - Beyond the Reef might also have them. Best bet is to call around
Old 01/09/2008, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Jim; I have a 1.75" diameter drill bit from that "Lau" guy. I can loan you the drill bit if you want to borrow, I am local to you.

I think I have 2-3 of the 1" ID diameter bulkheads that fit the 1.75 hole. I bought them from a local online sponsor, AquaCave. I will pass them along to you at the same price. If you want a photo or a link I'll find it. They are just like this, but I have to double check the threading and ID/OD slip/slip or threaded/slip style. I beleive the outer side undeer your tnak would be threaded and the inside that would be your standpipe would be slip.

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=437#

Last edited by Steverino; 01/09/2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:40 PM

If you have a Farm and Fleet near by they sell a "banjo" brand bulk head. Hard to find if you don't know where to look. They are back by the sprayer equipment. The type of sprayer that goes on a truck. That guy in the corn feild loves them. (that would be Rod)
Old 01/09/2008, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Re: Help with drilling a tank

McLaughlin4...where did you get your 60gal cube?...is it framed or frameless...
thanks in advance...!

Quote:
Originally posted by McLaughlin4
Ok I will be picking up my tank this weekend it is a 60 gallon cube 24x24x24. I want (need) to make it RR so. I want to drill a hole in the tank for the over flow . Now I am pretty handy but just want to talk and get input from people that have done it before. Does anyone know someone local that might do it for cheap ? does anyone know where to buy a diomond bit ? And is it there a better place to drill ? I would like to put in the on the bottom in the middle towards the back for the over flow to be centered in the back of the tank. THanks for the info . Jim