Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Trying to get back in the game ...

Well I used to be an active member on this board years ago but someone took my original user name so I'm back with a new one . I know longer have a tank but I'm looking to start something small. Its funny 5 years ago before I had any childeren my wife hated the money and time I put into having a tank ,mostly the money but now that my son has shown interest in aquariums shes all for me starting something new . So thats where I stand now . I was wondering if anyone out there has a tank for sale ? Something small , maybe a cube , maybe acrylic, maybe glass, with or without an overflow. I thought I would leave it up to seeing what is out there ,available, and see where that takes me . Whats a good tank thats small enough for easy up keep, ie water changes. But big enough that you can keep a little eco system alive and healthy . IE: fish , shrimp,crabs ,snails and a few corals ? So any good ideas are greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance . Jim

Ps. I live in the West Burbs and I'm willing to travel for a good deal .
Old 01/06/2008, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

I'm going bigger, I feel a bigger ECO-system is easier to take care of. So I have a 27g bow front or a regular 75g both are plain tanks. I also have a CPR overflow. You can have the 27 with CPR for $25 or the 75 and CPR for $50. The CPR was on the 27 with a mag5 pump not sure that's big enough for a 75. I'm in Palatine.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Ok thanks for the info I will let you know what I decide . Sounds like I would be interested in the 75 with the overflow .
Old 01/06/2008, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Would you be interested in a 24 Nanocube Deluxe with mods?
Old 01/06/2008, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Maybe Do you have any pictures or some more info on what type of mods there are ? Thanks Jim
Old 01/06/2008, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Jim, I have a 40 breeder and I am local to you. It is painted light blue on the back and the right side. It has a hole drilled in the top back left corner that is currently plugged up with a PVC pipe, looks like it might be a 1.75" hole that accomodates a 1" pipe. Also, I will have a 46 gallon bowfront which is a sweet looking tank for saltwater. It has one of the hokey black pressboard stands that is in decent shape. I am in the process of tearing it down, it has been freshwater. It has glass top on it. I have a 20 gallon tall sump, with glass baffles, that I played around with fresh water but never used.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

and I have some 'dead' rock sitting in buckets that I am trying to regularly rinse with water, and a 5-gallon bucket 85% full of half-sand, half crushed coral. And probably an extra HOB CPR skimmer, and maybe an overflow U-tube acrylic box. All cheap for a Dupager, although I see you are a Yankees fan,........as long as it doesn't say Mets too.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Pm me your email and I'll send you pictures.

It's a 24 gal Nano Cube Deluxe including the square stand.

It has the nanocustoms 108 watt (3x36) compact flourecent light mod with 2 ballasts, so you can have actinics only on.

I also put a fuge light in the back and cut in overflow teeth. It has 2 moonlights but one doesn't work and is easily replaced. I have about $600 invested in this.

I'm asking the low, low price of $190. But my wife is getting tired of looking at it.

Make me an offer.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Hey steve I would be interested in a bunch the 46 bow front and sump and a bunch of other stuff . Where in dupage are you . And how much ,shoot me a pm so we can hash out the final details. And dont worry if I had to go national league I would go Cubs , but I'm happy I DONT have too.. HA