Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/04/2007, 03:46 PM
angelfish nut!

Chelmon marginalis... you dog!

See you this weekend!

John

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 10/04/2007, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
Chelmon marginalis... you dog!

See you this weekend!

John
it figures... one of the biggest fish geeks on RC would be the first one to answer

Pick up that 2" gate valve from Johnny.. since he won't ever get around to shipping it.

See you Sat.

sanjay.
Old 10/04/2007, 04:55 PM

Very nice Sanjay.
Old 10/04/2007, 05:16 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
it figures... one of the biggest fish geeks on RC would be the first one to answer
Takes one to know one...

I just spoke to John and he saw the UPS package sitting there that was supposed to be picked up Tuesday. It's going out today and will be there Monday.

The marginalis looks small... how big he she?

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 10/04/2007, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

Yes, it is small. About 2-2.5". Still has the middle stripe and the ocelus is also still there. As it grow, they should both disappear.

sanjay.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

Tank has been up for exacly a year now. Time for some 1 year update pics.

sanjay.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:13 PM

Nice shots Sanjay. I was wondering what you have been up to. Those Duncans are really extending eh?

I see a Vortech with a coraline problem!!
Old 11/08/2007, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

What a great tank. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:23 PM
no time for spell check!

this is very impressive sanjay. i noticed the very thick brantches on your corals. you must have some very good flow in the tank to have such wide/thick branching going on. it makes the corals look alot better with the thick branches. i also noticed that the corals dont grow in one direction,so that tells me there is flow from all direction in the tank.
i have seen a few tanks with left to right flow and the corals tend to grow twards the dircetion of the best flow. yours seem to grow in all directions.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

I have always believed in a lot of flow. I like the sea swirls to provide the change in the flow directions.

It may be time to add more flow. As the corals have grown now they are starting to obstruct water flow and slow it down.

I am thing of adding one more vortech pump.

sanjay.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:47 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I was thinking the direction that the corals grow was based more on the source of the lighting. Sanjay's lumenarcs spread out the light very well, so that would be my bet. Corals that are grown under say, a single point source, tend to grow straight towards that light source.

Corals under my light mover grow out in every direction.
Old 11/08/2007, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Here are some more fuller shots of the tank:

sanjay.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:01 PM
Catch and release

Wow! Very very nice Sanjay

Amazing really.

I love the layout.

Chris

Last edited by fishdoc11; 11/08/2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:05 PM
Parrot head

TOTM!!!
Old 11/08/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

I second TOTM...great growth rates...the calcuim demand must be insane!!!
Old 11/09/2007, 01:13 AM
El Jefe de WRS

I think you have some sand there begging for more clams... like 100 of em!

Very impressive growth there Sanjay. Those polyp growths are enough to make a colorectal surgeon giddy.
Old 11/09/2007, 01:14 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
I think you have some sand there begging for more clams... like 100 of em!

Very impressive growth there Sanjay. Those polyps and growths are enough to make a colorectal surgeon giddy.
Old 11/09/2007, 06:15 AM
Registered Member

No doubt, TOTM.

I am soooooooo jealous!!!!!!
Old 11/09/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Growth is very impressive Sanjay. I've been following your thread from the beginning and I don't remember seeing behind the scene shots for quite some time. Can you show some pics of the workings and let us know what your doing to keep your Ca and Alk up to specs.
Old 11/09/2007, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Just so you all know and realize, that even a sucessful tank is not without the same problems other's encounter.

A few months ago I found out that I had the dreaded AEFW. !! Inspite of being careful with dips and inspection, I guess some of the eggs must have sneaked in. It took me a while to realize that the reason for some color loss and blah look on a couple of corals was due to AEFW.

Once I learned to recognize the signs for AEFW on a coral, it quickly explained some of the problems I was attributing to lower alkalinity.

There was no way I was going to tear down the tank, frag and dip and destroy the corals like I have seen a lot of people do. After consulting with several of my friends who I have been in the hobby for a long time, I decieded that the best strategy is to live with them, but stay ahead of them by making yourself thier main predator. These friends of mine have very nice tanks and you cannot tell that they have flatworms.

The strategy was to blast the corals regularly with a water jet form either a turkey baster or a small powerhead. When the flatworms get blown off they get eaten by the fish. The larger ones are really easy to blow off the coral. They tend to hide towads the base and lower branches. The 2nd mode of attack was to seek out any potential egg masses and get them out of the tank, especially since the smaller ones are harder to blow off the corals.

Here is a picture of the mother lode of all AEFW eggs.

Now my maintenance tasks have one more task added to it. Every 3-5 days I go in with a turkey baster and knock off some flatworms. In the begining I was doing this daily. Now I only get a couple of few comming off the corals every 3-5 days. This keeps thier numbers in control and the damage is minimal. It sucks having to add an extra chore, but doing this has made me more in tune with the coral's health and better at spotting damage before it get out of control. Also, having larger coral helps.

On the brght side, it have opened up a lot more people that I can now trade with - I was avoiding them since I knew they had flatworms.

My advice.. if you are really paranoid you should set yourself a quarantine tank and be absolutely strict about what goes into your tank. If you do get them, and can remove your corals easily, then put them in quarantine. Often times the treatment will kill the corals faster than the flatworms will. If you do get them in an established tank, then learn to live with them. There are a lot of successful reefers around the world that have beautiful tanks and are living with the flatworms.

sanjay.
Old 11/09/2007, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

Just so you all know and realize, that even a sucessful tank is not without the same problems other's encounter.

A few months ago I found out that I had the dreaded AEFW. !! Inspite of being careful with dips and inspection, I guess some of the eggs must have sneaked in. It took me a while to realize that the reason for some color loss and blah look on a couple of corals was due to AEFW.

Once I learned to recognize the signs for AEFW on a coral, it quickly explained some of the problems I was attributing to lower alkalinity.

There was no way I was going to tear down the tank, frag and dip and destroy the corals like I have seen a lot of people do. After consulting with several of my friends who I have been in the hobby for a long time, I decieded that the best strategy is to live with them, but stay ahead of them by making yourself thier main predator. These friends of mine have very nice tanks and you cannot tell that they have flatworms.

The strategy was to blast the corals regularly with a water jet form either a turkey baster or a small powerhead. When the flatworms get blown off they get eaten by the fish. The larger ones are really easy to blow off the coral. They tend to hide towads the base and lower branches. The 2nd mode of attack was to seek out any potential egg masses and get them out of the tank, especially since the smaller ones are harder to blow off the corals.

Here is a picture of the mother lode of all AEFW eggs.

Now my maintenance tasks have one more task added to it. Every 3-5 days I go in with a turkey baster and knock off some flatworms. In the begining I was doing this daily. Now I only get a couple of few comming off the corals every 3-5 days. This keeps thier numbers in control and the damage is minimal. It sucks having to add an extra chore, but doing this has made me more in tune with the coral's health and better at spotting damage before it get out of control. Also, having larger coral helps.

On the brght side, it have opened up a lot more people that I can now trade with - I was avoiding them since I knew they had flatworms.

My advice.. if you are really paranoid you should set yourself a quarantine tank and be absolutely strict about what goes into your tank. If you do get them, and can remove your corals easily, then put them in quarantine. Often times the treatment will kill the corals faster than the flatworms will. If you do get them in an established tank, then learn to live with them. There are a lot of successful reefers around the world that have beautiful tanks and are living with the flatworms.

sanjay.
Old 11/09/2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks for that Sanjay. I treat and QT all incoming corals for quite some time, but I have to admit there's a very real possibility that that all sorts of pests can make it into my system. Smething else to note is that there are fish that seek out flat worms, and I have seen LFS with specialized wrasses in their SPS tanks.

This is also the reason why I am more accepting of buying and trading small frags. I used to only want to buy large colonies, but this has bitten my butt more than once with nasty hitch-hikers like acro eating crabs, that just can't be found even with vigorous inspection. I have also noted a much higher degree of these pests on maricultured corals. Not sure what possible explanation there would be for that.

Great photo of the egg mass!
Old 11/09/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Sanjay:
The tank looks great. Impressive growth.

I know you had posted earlier that you are using three lumenarc III reflectors with 400W mogul lamps. But I couldn't find what ballast or brand/color temp. of lamps. In these last set of full tank shots, what ballasts and lamps are you running?
Old 11/09/2007, 10:58 AM
no time for spell check!

a friend of mine told me that there is a new treatment for the AEFW's that is doing very well but does not affect the corals like the fluke tablets or the levemisol did. here is a link to it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...s~vendor~.html
Old 11/09/2007, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phantom Phish
Sanjay:
The tank looks great. Impressive growth.

I know you had posted earlier that you are using three lumenarc III reflectors with 400W mogul lamps. But I couldn't find what ballast or brand/color temp. of lamps. In these last set of full tank shots, what ballasts and lamps are you running?
I am using Icecap Electronic Ballasts with Giesman 400W Coral Lamps.

sanjay.