Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

Good Quality Check Valve

Does anyone have a suggestion for a high quality, inline, check valve?

I have the type where the sliding weight is designed to slip down from the angled branch into the path of backflowing water when pressure is lost. Meanwhile, it's never worked during a power outage. This morning I lost a dolphin ampmaster 3000 due to a sump overflow.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Unfortunatly there is no good quality check valve. Sorry for your loss.

You might need to work on a siphon break just below the water line in the tank to prevent water from siphoning back.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 01/04/2008, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tkeracer619
Unfortunatly there is no good quality check valve.
This is not the case. Spears inline swing checks work real well. You need to keep them clean of course any valve needs be clean if you expect it to seal.

Don

Last edited by Donw; 01/04/2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01/04/2008, 08:28 PM
Team RC Member

The absolute best defense is a properly designed overflow, returns and sump. No check valves at all are needed in almost all systems. Check valves are mechanical devices and will fail guaranteed.
Why did your sump overflow? Was it too full or were the returns too low in the tank or ???

Drilled holes fail also. The best bet and the only foolproof method is an air gap and sufficient room for backsiphonage in the sump.
Old 01/04/2008, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

agreed, a sump should be designed and of size to handle water if loss of power occurs. as desert rat said you need to make sure your returns are high in the tank so they don't siphon out the tank when power loss occurs. Your stand pipes should be fairly high as well so they don't siphon the tank. I built mine so that when the sump is full and I pull the power it fills the sump to about 1 inch before it overflows. Hopefully you can make some adjustments in your plumbing so that you can pull the power and not have things overflow. I personally would never want to rely on a check valve.
Old 01/04/2008, 08:48 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

I agree, your sump needs to be able to handle the drain back.

I use a check valve to keep my return line full of water. I have over 30' so the blast of air is significant without it.

I used the one from marine depot, but they do benefit from periodic maint, so get the one with the unions.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~FT9177.html

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 01/09/2008, 01:32 AM
Premium Member

I agree with ALL of you. I like that design Steve. The problem with mine is that they were glued in place, impossible to maintain. There was so much growth on them that they failed. My issue is that the basement tank refugium also collects water draining from the upstairs tank. It was not designed with adequate capacity to handle that volume.

So, I have now added an overflow bulkhead into the wall of my basement refugium. It feeds into a hidden rubbermaid tub that has a water sensing sump pump from Lowes. Once the electricity is restored, if the pump detects water in the tub it is pumped back into the basement refugium.

I also replaced my vulnerable Dolphin Ampmaster with a submersible PondMaster.. just in case!

Thank you all for your suggestions.