Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/11/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

overflow ? (pics)

ok i got the acrylic bent for my 29g tank its a corner overflow whats the best tool to use to make the teeth in it?

--------------------------------------------
Steven
Old 08/11/2007, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

I think most people use a dremel tool
Old 08/11/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

I've used a table saw to notch teeth. You could also use a jigsaw.
Old 08/11/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stirfry001
I think most people use a dremel tool
i was thinking of using a dremel with 1/4" router bit. how long should the teeth be?

Steven
Old 08/11/2007, 12:56 PM
Hopeless addict

The length of the teeth will determine how much water makes it to your sump when the power fails. The width of the teeth determines the flow and must match the return pump evenly. I am afraid there is some math to do.
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 08/11/2007, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

i use table saw with home depot acrylic blade 2 1/2 times wide then the blade

dont make them so long i lossed the higth i could get an 1in is more then enf to that size tank
Old 08/11/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

what about if i cut about 1/4" or more off of the height so its no so tall and dont do teeth would that work? rightnow its to the trim but if i make it shorter i can go without teeth right?

Steven
Old 08/11/2007, 01:45 PM
Hopeless addict

You could do that, but then I would glue on some gutter guard (black plastic mesh) to prevent fish from riding over the waterfall. I broke out all of the teeth and used the gutter guard myself because I wasn't getting enough flow.
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 08/11/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aztbs
You could do that, but then I would glue on some gutter guard (black plastic mesh) to prevent fish from riding over the waterfall. I broke out all of the teeth and used the gutter guard myself because I wasn't getting enough flow.
cool i think ill do that. i have a whole roll of gutter guard.

Steven
Old 08/11/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Somewhere I read it was 1/4" wide slots, no more than 1" in depth & on 1/2" centers between teeth was good for 1 1/2" drains flowing 600gph...Or drop by a LFS w/ a tape measure and dbl check their tooth spacing. Dremel with Router bit/stand works well or a regular tabletop router. Alternative is to drill the 1/4" dia hole at the base of your measurement for the teeth height and then use a table saw or jigsaw to cut the teeth slots. Heat and acrylic/plexiglass dont mesh well together so you need to be carefull while cutting so it doesnt accidentally refuse behind the blade as you cut or drill thru the material.
Old 08/11/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

a router works great also, it is also easier to cut before bending, have you drilled the bottom already?
Old 08/11/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

i guess i could have looked at the pic!
Old 08/11/2007, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

aztbs: what material is gutter guard, what glue do you use, does HD have it?
Old 08/11/2007, 02:46 PM
Hopeless addict

HD and Lowes has it. It is back in the roofing/building area with all of the other gutter material. It is black plastic and comes in rolls that are like 6inches x 15ft.

When I put in my tank, I used the black spray foam on the wall and I embedded the guard in to that. I suppose you might get silicone to hold it if you clamped it in place until dry.

Here is an old pic from the day the tank was filled:
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 08/11/2007, 02:49 PM
Team RC Member

I would use a router in a router table with a guide to cut teeth. No waterfall effect that way and it will be easier to maintain the water level in the overflow. With a straight top your water will want to equalize between the tank and overflow.
Old 08/11/2007, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

ahh, I see. nice job on the foam! many thanks

sjm1978: I'm sure you know this but as a reminder, regarding flow, the width of the teeth determines flow into the overflow box, but that must not exceed the maximum flow allowed by the standpipe(s) you intend to use.
Old 08/11/2007, 04:59 PM
Mushroom King

In my fathers tank (240) wide we used a 1/2 drill bit and cut holes there much easier to do and covered with black mess like alto was speaking of and checked the flow we needed alittle more flow we lowered the water level and drilled one more hole and it was perfect still has the tank now 4 years later. I see a diffrents between slits and hole to be honest

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 08/11/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

ok i was thinking of just doing the teeth on it now. im thinking of buying a dovetail jig template and clamping it to the overflow and use a dremel with a 1/4" dremel straight router bit. heres the link to the template http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-Inte...887503&sr=1-13

Steven
Old 08/15/2007, 01:49 PM
I am addicted!

I used a 1/4" straight router bit, in a router table. I clamped a board across and used it to cut a straight slot. I did it 1" deep and every 1/2". I would adjust the board to accommodate after every cut. Mine worked out great! No flow issues...

Your welcome to come check it out. Or I can send some more pics...

Chinese Proverb:
"When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."