Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2007, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

Rust in a shed for a commercial setup

Howdy all and happy new year.

Well I have a question regarding evaporation water from tanks and rust.

I am looking at setting up in a large shed which has block walls and Galvanized steel for the top parts of the walls. The structures are steel for the frame of the shed.

As I will have around 5000 Gallons of saltwater, I wanted to know if the evaporation will rust the steel at all. There is surface rust already on the steel frames but nothing that is penetrating it. Will I need to cover them with a anti rust paint like Hammerite - Or will it all be OK?

Love to hear some feedback as if I need to cover everything then my costs for setting up will raise - but better to prevent than fix once rust sets in. I will not be splashing the metal at all with saltwater but it is more the evaporation from the tanks. From my understanding only freshwater evaporates and the salts stays in the tanks so there should be no problems - unless I started splashing the water everywhere on the metal.

Can anyone confirm this for me.

Also in the shed there is oil on the ground. no petrol just oil from oil changes. I assume that if I keep clear from this I should be OK. Will there be particles in the air that can contaminate my tanks?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
Old 01/02/2007, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

It will rust, especially if it has surface rust on it now, only very high grade stainless will resist the rust and its not made out of stainless, I would sand and prime and paint everything that is exposed and install an exhaust fan to help limit the amount of humidity.....and be ready to touch up when needed any spots that start to blister and rust......
Old 01/02/2007, 09:49 AM
Moved On

What size steel members are they? Light guage heavy guage?

They make coatings that you can apply over surface rust tjat bonds or converts the rust into another non oxidation type of coating, then you can apply a top coat to inhibit, not prevent future rust. (Zinc Chromate, if the memory thingy still works)

But if the steel is heavy guage, i-beams and teh sort, you will have a long way to go before serious oxidation issues will create an unsafe situation

I think once you get the rust issue in check simple maintenance will keep the steel from oxidizing quickly.

Simply rinsing the structure with fresh water and drying it by way of constant de-humidified air would be the fisrt step in ihibinting rust.
Old 01/02/2007, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

OK - So mixed responses - I am thinking that I will go over the heavy guage steel with a wire brush and then coat it with some anti rust paint of some sort.
I am thinking that the galvanised steel sheet should be OK.

Thanks and any more comment are welcomed
Old 01/02/2007, 10:16 AM
Moved On

if it is galvi it is all ready coated and oiled. galvi roofs last years and years befor they rust
Old 01/02/2007, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Just a thought here, but why not go with a greenhouse? It is a much cheaper structure.

You have asked a few questions regaarding different aspects of this project. Could you elaborate on your business plan? I am sure some of us may be able to help smooth out the lumps.

What are your year round temperatures and humidity? They will play a role in the evaporation rate, and what you need to use to combat the indoor humidity. What watet temp are you looking at keeping in your tanks etc?

Bean
Old 01/02/2007, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

OK I am importing live rock and coral to Ireland direct from the suppliers in Fiji etc..

The shed I am looking at is an existing shed that is $50 a month rent - hence Not building.

I have a 10foot X 5 X 3 vat for the live rock and a Big mumma of a skimmer - Will run Ozone via 2Mg generator and circulation via 2 X sequence 10k pumps (Have more if needed for more flow) I have a 3Kw inline heater to keep the temp at 27 degrees.

For the corals I have 12 vats (see www.saltwaterlife.ie) as in the picture on the web page - again same temp just holding the corals before shipping off.

Currently 2 - 5 degrees outside - Thinking of using building Kingspan insulation arounf the steel vat for the live rock - not sure about the coral Vats. - Or building a room in the shed and insulating it all. - with vents to allow air to get out when it heats up to much.

Hope that helps - The guy i am looking at renting the shed from is worried about the salt corroiding the shed. That's what the questions.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 01/02/2007, 12:52 PM
Moved On

Ask him for his reccomendations so he is partly responsibile for the methods employed,or make sure he signs off onwhat your plans are, so w\once you swing thte deal, the deal can be based upon this understanding and a month from after you sign the lease, he wants more precautions...

good luck
Old 01/02/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Maybe you should have someone spray isocyanate foam for your insulation. It’s a 2-part spray foam. That should take care of the insulation and can be done in 1 day. I think I read that ¾” of iso will outperform rolled insulation by far.

I’d find it hard to believe that the structure will continue to rust, but even if that were possible, you would still have the option of coating over the foam to waterproof it 100%. In other words having the foam sprayed would not be a waste of time.
Old 01/02/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Well....,
I too would suguest the light wire brushing you mentioned to remove the loose paint and rust. Then prime with a rust inhibitor primer. Consult a local auto body shop for supplies. Then paint with something like rustoleum. That should slow down the rusty beast for a while. Then you can apply any form of insulation you desire to reduce your heating/cooling load.

For long term protection, how about cathodic protection?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection

Wire the steel structure with grounding cable and connect it to a burried sacraficial anode outside in the ground. Like the zincs we use on boats to keep steel from rusting while submerged in saltwater. The same with your rock curing vat structural steel frame. There are two types of cathodic protection, I believe. Passive and active. Passive uses the sacraficial zinc anodes and active uses a micro amp current transformer wired to the structure to inhibit oxidation. Both are relatively inexpensive.

As for the oily floor, and I am thinking its a dirt floor? Why not cover it in cat litter,(absorbtive bentonite clay} and have a raised wooden platform above it to walk on.

It sounds like reefing is becoming a popular indoor sport in Ireland!! Much like good beer!!

Then.... just kick back a bit at Crokers pub, on the Quay, with a short Guiness Stout in a tall Waterford glass.

And Enjoy Reefing!
kaptken